Wiki Posts
Search

How do ticket numbers work?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
How do ticket numbers work?

OK, so I know the first three digits are the airline, but I'm more interested in the last section.

I assumed ticket numbers were more or less sequential, but is there actually some linking of the number to the passenger?

I've got two separate bookings, both booked at similar times, each exactly 1 number apart. OK, that's fair enough.

I've got two separate bookings for Mrs Schofs, one booked earlier this year, and one booked last week... both with sequential numbers (although this time reverse sequential - the new booking has a lower number than the old booking).

So... anyone care to shed some light?
Old Sep 8, 2007, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Who cares.......................................? I don't think i have even looked at a ticket number! get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 8, 2007, 3:59 pm

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
Ouch @:-)

I only see the sequential when i buy them at the same time. never really paid it much attention to be honest.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:58 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
ba2354, that wasn't funny nor very nice.

schofs, that's a very good question - I'd be interested in knowing the answer myself. Anyone?
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:02 am

ba2354 - maybe you ought to start taking note of your ticket number/s as, in the era of eticketing, it's the only thing that'd help you out when things go wrong at check in "we can't find your reservation sir..."

I'd hazard a guess that the ticket number/s are effectively the reference/control number/s for the ticket stock used. So it stands to reason that the number/s are sequentially generated. At least that'd be the case during the good ol days of paper ticketing. Might be a little bit different for etix.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by schofs
OK, so I know the first three digits are the airline, but I'm more interested in the last section.

I assumed ticket numbers were more or less sequential, but is there actually some linking of the number to the passenger?

I've got two separate bookings, both booked at similar times, each exactly 1 number apart. OK, that's fair enough.

I've got two separate bookings for Mrs Schofs, one booked earlier this year, and one booked last week... both with sequential numbers (although this time reverse sequential - the new booking has a lower number than the old booking).

So... anyone care to shed some light?
The power of the internet....i'm such a geek!!

Here's your answer...direct from IATA

DOCUMENT NUMBER is the unique identification number of a traffic document as outlined in Recommended Practice 1720a. The document number comprises the airline code, form code, serial number and in some cases, a check digit.

Recommended Practice 1720a (PDF)
Old Sep 9, 2007, 5:13 am

Now I could be wrong, but from my days as a travel agent, ticket numbers are a little obsolete in the days of e-tickets. However, for paper tickets they are used to validate whats on the airline res system with what the pax holds. I.e. it helps prevent fake tickets and also as the ticket has 'value' in the case of a full ref, full changeable one it is like the serial number on a bank note.

Now with e-tickets, the airline reservation number is the important thing, but the whole ticketing system is the same. I.e. 'ticketing' a reservation is the same if you use paper or not. So when you go ahead and confirm a reservation for an e-ticket airline, you still have to generate a ticket number. The numbers are agent specific as, say, Trailfinders, will be allocated, or just given a whole number range. Like a pad of paper with each sheet having a sequential number. No real science there. If you were to look at a pad of unprinted tickets, all the numbers are sequential and when printed you have to enter the doc number into the airline booking.

Now, after all that, and it being a Sunday morning, I am starting to agree with BA2354's comments! I need to get out more
Old Sep 9, 2007, 8:07 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by ba bob
Now I could be wrong, but from my days as a travel agent, ticket numbers are a little obsolete in the days of e-tickets.
Regardless of whether you have an e-ticket, the ticket number comes in VERY handy when trying to get miles credited for a flight flown. It certainly has for me on many occasions.

It was also useful for me one time when I was IDB'ed because a BA flight from LGW-DUB was cancelled.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GGL
I also agree that they can be important. I just needed to look one up in order to do a mileage claim with SQ. Plus if you have an eticket that is flexible, and you cancel the original booking, but then need to rebook, it makes life a lot easier with the eticket number.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by ba bob
Now I could be wrong, but from my days as a travel agent, ticket numbers are a little obsolete in the days of e-tickets.
If the check in agent can't find your record for whatever reason, only the ticket number will prove that your reservation exists. The PNR is not fool-proof.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
The ticket number is the (main?) proof that you've actually paid for the booking. It is possible to hold a reservation which isn't ticketed, which is nice but doesn't allow you to check-in.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:35 pm
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by QF009
If the check in agent can't find your record for whatever reason, only the ticket number will prove that your reservation exists. The PNR is not fool-proof.
Wot he said. A good idea to have a note of it somewhere.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by QF009
In my experience different airlines also will sometimes use different PNRs from each other for the same ticket/itinerary. But a ticket with multiple airlines would still only have one ticket number. It also identifies (as OP pointed out) which airline actually issued the ticket, when applicable. I don't know all the ins and outs but I know from experience that which carrier issued the ticket can make a difference sometimes.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
Okay...if I recall correctly.

Here's a tkt number...
125 4400 123 321 1

125-Airline number
44-type of ticket (paper 2 cpn, paper 4cpn, e-tkt)
00 123 321-number
1-check digit (between 0-6)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.