Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MFU question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

MFU question

I want to go to BCN in October upgrading on the outbound flight only from ET to CE. There is upgrade availibilty on the outbound flight but coming back there is only one flight that it will let me choose instead of the usual whole load. I thought this was the part that didn't rely on availibilty - so howcome the lack of choice?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
It's a really bad use of both miles and miles to upgrade from ET to CE! Especially to BCN which has the cheap I class routes from LGW for 200 quid or under return in CE both ways. You should only be able to upgrade YBH fares from ET and these are hugely expensive...this far out, I am almost certain it'll be cheaper for you to buy a Club (Cheapest) return than an ET return you can MFU one way.

If I understand your question correctly (which I'm not sure I do - what do you mean by 'the part that didn't rely on availability'?) I think you may be seeing some bug in the system...I would urge you to revisit the advice above though and just check in to it...
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice G-BOAC

I will investigate further into your suggestion. What I meant by "the part didn't rely on availabilty": If I wasn't planning on upgrading the inbound flight should the selection of flights for the inbound sector only show one flight when there are far more than that availible to purchase?

FYI - I was getting a quote of 137 + 7,500 miles for CE upgraded on outbound
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Im looking at the half term period trying to get 5 nights away in the period of 20th October to 30th October
Old Aug 8, 2007, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
It's a really bad use of both miles and miles to upgrade from ET to CE!
I'm really only doing it to get lounge access at LHR so to kill time before flight due to train times!! Waving my little blue card wont get me in unfortunately!!
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:08 pm
Suspended

www.baconnect.org.uk
Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by jimbosmith300
I'm really only doing it to get lounge access at LHR so to kill time before flight due to train times!! Waving my little blue card wont get me in unfortunately!!
If it is just Lounge Access you want then Qantas Club is the way forward:

Qantas Club
Old Aug 8, 2007, 5:39 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
There is something odd going on here. G-BOAC is correct in saying that only fare classes Y, B and H are upgradeable...... Well that WAS the case.....
And doesn't seem to apply to round trip flights with one leg upgraded.....
For example, LGW - MRS R/trip for a weekend in the Autumn....travelling in CE pricing up at £373.00 PLUS 9,000 BA MILES. OUCH!!!
However, the same flights booked OUTbound in ET and RETURN in CE are pricing up at....£75.30 plus 4,500 miles. (INCLUDING ALL TAXES.... BARGAIN!!!!)
If you book the same flights OUTBOUND in CE and RETURN in ET... pricing up at £79.20 plus 4,500 miles, again INCLUDING all taxes.
It works for other routes as well (tried KRK and LIS)
Not sure if this is just a glitch, but thanks Jimbosmith300!

Last edited by Skipcool3; Aug 8, 2007 at 5:47 pm
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Skipcool3 - did you also find rubbish availibilty for the leg you weren't upgrading?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:11 pm

Answer...... Yes......... It doesn't really seem to make sense and I have e-mailed G-BOAC to see what he makes of it... On the MRS flight, it was only offering one of the flights back, being at some ungodly hour in the morning.
Interesting though, that on a lot of the routes that I use (ACE and KRK, where there is usually only the one flight, it works a treat... I guess because it can't offer any alternatives.
I have priced up a R/trip to ACE on my usual flights @ £100.00 ish travelling one way CE... BARGAIN...
I am not convinced that it is anything other than a Glitch that we should avail ourselves of if we can!!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

exactly the same for me - it was only offering the 7.00am and nothing else
Old Aug 9, 2007, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
I am not convinced that it is anything other than a Glitch that we should avail ourselves of if we can!!
One that maybe we should not be discussing here perhaps...?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

no id say its a very negative glitch in the way that its not offering the full range of flights
Old Aug 10, 2007, 9:23 am
Original Poster

If you buy and then want to MFU do you have to pay the £30 upgrade charge?
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:34 pm

I tried to make a booking to Athens today, planning to upgrade the outbound sector and taking advantage of the ability to do this from the cheapest fare.... I have tried numerous dates; and now other destinations as well....
But it now prices up at the flex. fare only!!!!
The ability upgrade NON Y, B, or H fares must have been a Glitch that has now been (sadly) corrected.... BAH!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.