FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Etiquette in asking for the swap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/722898-etiquette-asking-swap.html)

AJLondon Aug 8, 2007 6:56 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC (Post 8194895)
Although he did use the description himself his location says PRG so I think he's a bona fide EU member, actually.

FWIW whilst I'm here, if anyone was as obnoxious/threatening as in your (I assume) example exchange of "OK then, but I gotta warn you...I need to pee like every 5 minutes..." there's be no chance in hell of me moving and I'd go out of my way to be twice as obnoxious back. A rather different reaction to the polite request.

Spot on. ^ ^

john11111111111 Aug 8, 2007 7:04 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC (Post 8194895)
Although he did use the description himself his location says PRG so I think he's a bona fide EU member, actually.

FWIW whilst I'm here, if anyone was as obnoxious/threatening as in your (I assume) example exchange of "OK then, but I gotta warn you...I need to pee like every 5 minutes..." there's be no chance in hell of me moving and I'd go out of my way to be twice as obnoxious back. A rather different reaction to the polite request.

I think the idea is that anyone living outside the UK is regarded as a Eurocheat whether or not they're in the EU. Personally I applaud BA's foresight in giving us more achievable TP limits, when we do have a choice of flying with other airlines like KLM, LH etc.

I would also take any hint of pressure or threat in the question as a green light to stay in my seat. Only grovelling and perhaps bribery would make me change my mind.

Abstract1 Aug 8, 2007 7:08 am

How far is 1A from 2K? Is is possible to chat between the two seats?

CT-UK Aug 8, 2007 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Abstract1 (Post 8194972)

Far enough away for the poor guy in 1A to have to lean forward turn his head around 180 degrees and talk loud enough for half the cabin to hear :)

G-BOAC Aug 8, 2007 7:14 am

Originally Posted by john11111111111 (Post 8194939)
I think the idea is that anyone living outside the UK is regarded as a Eurocheat whether or not they're in the EU. Personally I applaud BA's foresight in giving us more achievable TP limits, when we do have a choice of flying with other airlines like KLM, LH etc.

Veering even more OT...I think (if I may be so bold) I may have been the one who coined the term 'Eurocheat' on here from a quick search back :o Purely for those non-EU members taking advantage of it - by definition those living in the EU aren't cheating for it! I've been down this road before but since we're here again :D my purely personal opinion is lower thresholds do make sense for EU residents and I have no problem with the theory. I happen to think that Gold in particular is set way too low vs. the UK but that's just me. I always believed something like even 500/1000 would be fairer or more realisitic. Just MHO. I also think it'd be interesting for BA to subtly change the annual membership requirements worldwide to state the 4 qualifying flights must come from journeys that originate in your registered country ;)

AJLondon Aug 8, 2007 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Abstract1 (Post 8194972)

1A would have to keep turning his/her head about 135 degrees towards the right to keep making eye-contact with 2K. Much easier for 2K though.

Also 1K would be privy to all (and quite possiblly get irritated by) conversations between 1A and 2K.

Thus, IMO, not really possible to have any long chats between those two seats!

AJLondon Aug 8, 2007 7:18 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC (Post 8195009)
I also think it'd be interesting for BA to subtly change the annual membership requirements worldwide to state the 4 qualifying flights must come from journeys that originate in your registered country ;)

Oooh, now that could liven things up nicely! :D

CT-UK Aug 8, 2007 7:24 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon (Post 8195031)
Oooh, now that could liven things up nicely! :D

As half you cheapskates do ex EU anyway I am sure it wouldn’t matter too much… :D

Abstract1 Aug 8, 2007 7:26 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon (Post 8195023)
Also 1K would be privy to all (and quite possiblly get irritated by) conversations between 1A and 2K.

EXACTLY! Therefore 1K should make the correct decision and move in the first place!:D

Mr H Aug 8, 2007 7:59 am

I also think it'd be interesting for BA to subtly change the annual membership requirements worldwide to state the 4 qualifying flights must come from journeys that originate in your registered country ;)

You would thereby deny the Pope from ever being able to achieve BA status - should he ever want it in the first place.

Seriously, though, I'm not sure how the different threshholds work since I thought that EU rules say you are not allowed to offer preferential deals to residents of one member state that are not available to members of another member state.

AJLondon Aug 8, 2007 8:10 am

Originally Posted by CT-UK (Post 8195064)
As half you cheapskates do ex EU anyway I am sure it wouldn’t matter too much… :D

How very dare you!! :mad:

Signed,
A proud Union Jack waving, (albeit Guardian reading :p ) UK Gold member. ;)

G-BOAC Aug 8, 2007 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Mr H (Post 8195259)
You would thereby deny the Pope from ever being able to achieve BA status - should he ever want it in the first place.

According to the EC sign up form, Vatican City isn't in the country list anyway. Poor The Pope! :D

catandmouse Aug 8, 2007 8:32 am

Now what about us

Veering even more OT...I think (if I may be so bold) I may have been the one who coined the term 'Eurocheat' on here from a quick search back :o Purely for those non-EU members taking advantage of it - by definition those living in the EU aren't cheating for it!

What about us here in Switzerland, non-EU, non-Euro, are we also Eurocheats?:eek:

AJLondon Aug 8, 2007 8:36 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse (Post 8195430)
What about us here in Switzerland, non-EU, non-Euro, are we also Eurocheats?:eek:

Nah, just Swisscheats. ;)

LeisureFirst Aug 8, 2007 8:44 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse (Post 8195430)

Last time I looked, Switzerland was still in EUROpe. Has it moved?