FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Etiquette in asking for the swap (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/722898-etiquette-asking-swap.html)

Abstract1 Aug 7, 2007 1:35 pm

Etiquette in asking for the swap

I am curious to know what you fters all think of asking someone to swap seats with someone with whom you are travelling when you are on the plane...and also if it's happened to you.

I am basically wanting on a 747 F flight to ask the guy/girl in 1K to swap with my friend in 2K so we can sit next to each other.(i am in 1A). Alternatively i am considering asking the same of 2A to swap with me.

What would be the correct thing to do (if anything at all)? Should i just accept where we are?

Pyeinthesky Aug 7, 2007 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Abstract1 (Post 8190874)
I am curious to know what you fters all think of asking someone to swap seats with someone with whom you are travelling when you are on the plane...and also if it's happened to you.

I am basically wanting on a 747 F flight to ask the guy/girl in 1K to swap with my friend in 2K so we can sit next to each other.(i am in 1A). Alternatively i am considering asking the same of 2A to swap with me.

What would be the correct thing to do (if anything at all)? Should i just accept where we are?

You might want to edit the thread title PDQ while you have your 5 mins grace before people think it's about rice wine.

Abstract1 Aug 7, 2007 1:36 pm

The title should obviously read asking for the swap!

Pyeinthesky Aug 7, 2007 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Abstract1 (Post 8190881)
The title should obviously read asking for the swap!

Sure but if you edit it quick it'll change it!

G-BOAC Aug 7, 2007 1:40 pm

Like for like or for better, if I'm asked politely I have no problem with it generally and have swapped in the past. As noted myriad times on here though, it's how you ask that matters - don't assume, don't demand, don't get stroppy...politeness and a humble request goes a long way.

However, I wouldn't be swapping 1AK for something else personally without an exceptional reason. I like my 1AK!

What does the seatmap look like for your flight? It's a risky strategy - too risky IMHO. If 1A was empty and you were in 1K as a Gold then you may want to wait as long 3 days before and chance moving your g/f in to 1A. But if it's already taken that means you're banking on a Gold/Prem moving for you. I wouldn't bank on that. I would look for other seats together at 4EF/5EF or 5AE/5FK at worst.

If it's a genuinely chokka flight you may not have much choice - but I wouldn't risk playing the game if you have a choice right now...unless you're willing to end up separated for the flight in the end.

James S Aug 7, 2007 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Abstract1 (Post 8190874)

I prefer 1AK for the forward view, the cupboard and the cosy privacy. But if you asked me to swap into row 2 so you could be closer to your friend, I would if I was travelling alone, so as to avoid the awkwardness of refusal. But don't talk too loudly if I am trying to sleep! But what if my friend was also in row 2, and we wanted to sit together as well. Which couple would get Row 1, and who 2?

JS

Abstract1 Aug 7, 2007 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by James S (Post 8190933)
I would if I was travelling alone, so as to avoid the awkwardness of refusal. JS

You see that's exactly how i and i think most would feel! I am hoping that this is the case if it comes to it!

ajamieson Aug 7, 2007 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by G-BOAC (Post 8190910)
Like for like or for better, if I'm asked politely I have no problem with it generally and have swapped in the past..

Spot on.

I've only been asked twice times and on both occasions it wasn't done politely ("I take it you don't mind if..." Well, I do mind actually!) On each occasion I moved, but only after thoroughly embarrassing the other person with a comment about their presumption and bad manners.

Abstract1 Aug 7, 2007 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by G-BOAC (Post 8190910)
Like for like or for better, if I'm asked politely I have no problem with it generally and have swapped in the past. As noted myriad times on here though, it's how you ask that matters - don't assume, don't demand, don't get stroppy...politeness and a humble request goes a long way.

However, I wouldn't be swapping 1AK for something else personally without an exceptional reason. I like my 1AK!

What does the seatmap look like for your flight? It's a risky strategy - too risky IMHO. If 1A was empty and you were in 1K as a Gold then you may want to wait as long 3 days before and chance moving your g/f in to 1A. But if it's already taken that means you're banking on a Gold/Prem moving for you. I wouldn't bank on that. I would look for other seats together at 4EF/5EF or 5AE/5FK at worst.

If it's a genuinely chokka flight you may not have much choice - but I wouldn't risk playing the game if you have a choice right now...unless you're willing to end up separated for the flight in the end.

Well you see at the moment 1K is actually free however i am just assuming that it will be taken. Surely i wont be the only Gold in F. It is a west coast route which i imagine are quite busy? If the flight was over night it wouldnt bother me! But its my friend's first ever flight in F so i want us to be next to each other. The seats already occupied are 1A,2A,3A,2K,4E,4F,5F. The only other option seems to be 5A AND 5E...but we all know the cons of these.

convair Aug 7, 2007 2:18 pm

1AK's exceptionally high value depends to a great extent on getting both seats. Combination of room, privacy and an ability to speak to your partner. If you're solo then it's only about 1% nicer than having 2K alone since you'll be looking at your screen or out the window anyway, and row 2 is pretty quiet and has lots of free space around it anyway. Of COURSE I'd give up a solo 1K for a solo 2K if asked nicely. No doubt many on this forum will disagree with me but then it don't surprise me, nor does it surprise me that the 'change seat requests' quoted above have been rather rudely put in some cases. It's generally symptomatic of the lack of niceness of people who travel in first class.

RoseFPS Aug 7, 2007 2:20 pm

I'll always try and help if it is a polite request, but what always makes me livid (and very stubborn about moving) is if I board...and find someone already sitting in my seat! Then they say something like 'I didn't think you'd mind...'. Never happened to me in F, but it has happened to me on several occasions in Club Europe and once in Club World.
Last time someone wanted me to swap from 64A to 63A which definitely wasn't acceptable.
Preferably I think people should wait til everyone's boarded before asking - there may be some unexpected empty seats which could resove the issue without having to disturb anyone. Especially on BA departing LHR when half the transfer passengers have missed their connection due to delays...
The other thing that always strikes me is how such requests nearly ALWAYS seems to involve moving to a worse seat! Very rarely to a better seat...
I mainly travel on my own so I think maybe I am especially vulnerable to being asked.
I think most people may be more open to moving if the request comes from the Cabin Crew rather than pax...

And I personally WOULD be happy to move from row 1 to 2 if asked nicely (assuming they hadn't just sat in 'my' seat!)....the only seat I wouldn't move to would be one of those middle seats...!

Wingnut Aug 7, 2007 2:21 pm

I always like this kind of thing to be brokered by the FA.

convair Aug 7, 2007 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Wingnut (Post 8191204)
I always like this kind of thing to be brokered by the FA.

Not sure I agree. It's best done, politely, before the arriving pax have settled in. Cabin crew are terribly busy during loading and if you ask one, even in F, chances are that they wont be able to do anything till the pax in q has already stowed shows, unstowed cosmetics books etc, started the video and so on. No, I think it is best done politely and sensitively in person .. and if there is an option then offer the other guy the upgrade! (e.g. if you are seated in 64A and 63B then offer up your 64A for their 63A). Just courtesy...

HIDDY Aug 7, 2007 2:37 pm

Once in Business class CDG-EZE my wife and I were split so I suggested she asked the gentleman sitting beside her if he wouldn't mind moving to allow me to sit beside her - same seat only on the port side he didn't seem to mind although he wasn't exactly jumping for joy.

Once on the LHR-GLA shuttle I suggested to the Stewardess (before she had the chance to ask) I give up my bulkhead aisle seat for a seat way down the back so an old dear could have her loving husband next to her - the old dear was delighted and I got loads of extra drinks from the Stewardess.^

Smirnoff Aug 7, 2007 3:59 pm

I can't see why anyone would want to sit in 1K if they were travelling on their own, and a stranger came and sat in 1A.

Especially if it's a girl that's in 1K.

I suggest you go up and to seat 1A (am assuing you are a "he"), and act really gross, pick your nose or start scratching yourself. Then invite her to swap with your friend in 2A. I'm sure she will move quicker than you can say "feed me while we taxi".