Wiki Posts
Search

SPMLs in premium cabins

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2007, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
SPMLs in premium cabins

The gluten free meals in CW appear to the same as those in WT (ie pretty vile and nowhere near the same quality as the regular menu) except it is served on real china. On my last CW flight - BDA-LGW, the cabin staff were really embarrassed to hand over the dinner offering.

What is the ettiquette in CW? Can I order a GFML and then ask for some food from the regular menu as well?

Is it the same GFML in F? I have enough airmiles and a 241 Amex voucher to fly me and Mrs Risotto to SFO next year in F, but the thought of watching Mrs R tuck into lobster while I get a skinless chicken breast (no seasoning) on a bed of chopped red onion salad (typical CW GFML lunch, or starter) or overcooked salmon and soggy, yet charred, broccoli florets (the usual dinner main course) is making me sulky in advance.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:03 am
Suspended

I suggest if you have distinct culinary requirements you bring along your own food; for such a long flight it would be boring to go hungry. There is however plenty of fruit on board in both Club and FIRST in the raid the larder (name I think is now different from when I flew BA regularly); also I think the innocent smoothies are gluten free, and delicious.

Airlines make great efforts to accommodate distinct requests; in F you should be fine with the Lock Fyne fish option, the "catch of the day" which is reputed to be excellent, and accompanying vegetables; just ask the crew to refrain from serving you any gluten products.

In any Special Meal thread Flyertalk members should be reminded that once a special meal is ordered, it is unlikely you would ever be upgraded (not an issue in F, but worth noting).
Old Aug 5, 2007, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by risotto
What is the ettiquette in CW? Can I order a GFML and then ask for some food from the regular menu as well?

Is it the same GFML in F?
In F it won't be a problem asking for something from the regular menu instead of/as well as what you have ordered. Provided only that you would get served after others have made their choices. As a last resort, they usually carry six or so portions of penne pasta with tomato or pesto sauce if that's any good.

FWIW, we has disgusting VLML offerings in F last week. The VLML meals was an omelette. There's rarely anything veggie on the F menu, so the alternative was just the penne pasta, which was fine.

In Club, it's a little more tricky, as there's only one meal tray per passengers (and a few spare may be). What I would do is have a quiet word with the crew BEFORE they serve the meal, and ask what your SPML is. In case you don't like the look of it, ask (nicely) if they could see, after serving other passengers, if there is a spare something else. Usually this will not be a problem, as long as you are nice to crew, and the crew aren't in too grumpy a mood.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I have coeliac condition but now I never order a gluten free meal in either Club World or First, because there always seems to be at least one choice that is naturally gluten free anyway (the steak, fish etc). And like you say the GF meal is usually pretty basic.

The only time I sometimes have a hassle is in Club Europe (mainly from LGW, inevitably) where occasionally the meal comes with pasta. Last time I just ate the piece of chicken and left the pasta. I guess it depends how sensitive you are to gluten - I seem to be able to get away with this.

I'm sure they'd be happy to give you something else instead of the special meal if there was enough though. Once, a long time ago, I got offered a crew meal instead.

Recently in Club World (day flight coming back from CPT) the selection was unnaturally poor and there was only one choice that was gluten free. I was worried about them running out of that choice by the time they got to me, so I did mention it to the cabin crew and they kept one back for me just in case. But otherwise I have never ever had a problem just going off the normal menu.
Not sure what i'd do in long haul Y - luckily I don't have to worry about that though...!
Old Aug 5, 2007, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I am not celiac but I do have a wheat allergy. I can tolerate most other gluten foods. I have ordered a few GFMLs on various airlines, and the BA selections are usually the worst no matter what cabin. I have been given Indian vegetarian out of Heathrow, some boiled chicken out of Hong Kong but with (get this) salad dressing that contained gluten (says so on the packaging). The gluten-free bread is give and miss. Sometimes good. Sometimes bad.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:21 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
The gluten-free bread is give and miss. Sometimes good. Sometimes bad.
Totally OT - but GF bread is hit and miss even when you aint in the air.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:37 am

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
As a last resort, they usually carry six or so portions of penne pasta with tomato or pesto sauce if that's any good.
People normally want gluten free because they are intollerant to wheat, so pasta would be a definate no.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I guess I've been lucky when travelling CW then as my VLML has usually been the Vege option off the regular menu. I've never even thought to ask if this was the SPML but the food has always been very good (usually some sort of pasta, which I like a lot^) so I've never had cause to complain.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Has anyone had a 'low calorie' option recently? I was once served one on LGW-BDA 4 years ago and it was delicious.

Just wondering what they're like now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.