Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Board Stickies - Your thoughts....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Euan
I would also ditch the sticky for upgrades.
In fairness, we didn't used to have one.

At that point, the number of questions we used to get asked ('hey, I'm based in N America, never flown BA in my life, never will again, but how do I get a free upgrade from the cheapest of the cheap seats into F? I've heard if you ask at check-in, it works like a charm! And why doen't BA upgrade their elites like <insert US airline here> for free? I fly XX twice a year and get free upgrades into F all the time!") was just phenonmenal (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating the cluelessness of the posts just a tad, but some of them, not by much!). It's that period which the board convention to use u*****e came from because it became such a bad word.

I don't imagine the situation would have changed much. I think if we did remove the upgrade sticky, we'd see a lot more of those type of posts. I'm not sure we could restrain the prodders sufficiently to make them be nice (it was a test of everyone's patience back then too!), so better to keep the upgrade sticky somewhere nice and obvious...
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm working up a proposal on this over the weekend (along with the much delayed Ultimate Guide update).

However, as a taster my preferred solution is to keep the number of stickies to the absolute minimum. For the high traffic repetitive topics (F seating, seat policy etc.) a master discussion thread that is clearly linked within the Ultimate Guide feel like the way to go as:

* They would provide a logical home for questions
* and somewhere to move new threads on well trodden topics
* plsu enable experts on a particular subject to offer focussed help
* ..and avoid a raft of stickies at the top of the forum.

More detail to follow!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
I wouldn't bother with a seating sticky. If posters can't understand READ THIS FIRST, I don't think they will bother to read a thread on seating.
I disagree.

If someone is coming to look for advice or with questions on seating (which a few appear to!) I think they are far more likely to read a sticky which clearly says it's all about BA's seating policy than to read through an entire guide to find what they are looking for.

Likewise, by giving new visitors an indication as to what is covered in the Guides in the title might encourage a few more to read the guides before posting.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:39 am

Put the quick links first and cut out the waffle at the beginning of the "Ultimate Guide". One has to bypass stuff like "Say my name" "Housekeeping" and other such nonsense before you get to the important stuff.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 10:16 am

Programs: MUCCI
I'm in favour of two distinct stickies:
  • Ultimate Guide to BAEC
  • Flying with BA - seating policies, cabins, lounges, etc

The main reason being that I think it IS a tad unfair to expect someone who is only flying with BA to wade through at lot of BAEC stuff.

Also, it could possibly lighten the load with the ultimate guide.

[Both could have elements of common introduction - such as "say my name" if these are felt to be needed. Personally I think an element of reminider that this is a european and British airline, not one from elsewhere in the world, does help remind people to expect things to be different.]
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:39 am

If someone is coming to look for advice or with questions on seating (which a few appear to!) I think they are far more likely to read a sticky which clearly says it's all about BA's seating policy than to read through an entire guide to find what they are looking for.
I'm not sure they are coming for advice, as much as to say "I'll never fly BA again and it will cost them millions...", which does get repetitive.

Likewise, by giving new visitors an indication as to what is covered in the Guides in the title might encourage a few more to read the guides before posting.
So does a good prodding from G-BOAC
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:06 pm

This is my idea of a STICKY for a newcomer.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA, AA, BMI, Marriott
I'd agree that theres no point in changing the NNCW sticky as it serves a purpose and within sometime this year (hopefully) will become redundant and can be unstickied. I'd be quite happy if if just contained the latest probability chart an no other chat.

The ultimate guide is genius and answered almost all of my questions as a newbie.

The upgrade sticky is the one that could be tweaked in my mind. I think it should include the full range of options about upgrading. It really only contains info about Op-ups and would be good if it included details on the full range of upgrade possibilities. I would suggest using the list on that post as section headings eg:
(1) Miles for Upgrade
(2) Gold Upgrade Vouchers
(3) Paid upgrade through ba.com in advance
(4) Paid upgrade at the airport/check-in (where offered - e.g. ex-LGW only on shorthaul routes to Club Europe for £59, ex-LGW only for £150 from World Traveller to World Traveller plus, or more typically at US stations and certain other overseas stations such as HKG, for all cabins at various prices)
(5) Paid upgrade on-board (if space and catering are available) by asking the CSD

Or these bullets in the list could be changed to links to the relevant part of the ultimate guide eg 1 could link to the MFU section etc

Last edited by johnnytoobad; Jan 9, 2009 at 1:20 pm
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
This is my idea of a STICKY for a newcomer.
An excellent suggestion
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:06 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by BraniffLuvr
I would broadly agree with these suggestions... The naming of the stickies is also important. .
I really like BraniffLuvr's suggestions, with a minor tweak to the second one. So it would be as follows:

Read This First - The BA ULTIMATE GUIDE including How To Get An Upgrade

Will my Flight Feature BA's Latest Seat/Flat Bed Offering?

My proposed name change to the second sticky would allow future discussion on the rollout of the 777 fleet and new First (and eventually the A380).

What do you think?
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:13 am

Personally I would like to see the Tesco and Amex threads as stickies as I look at them far more than anything else.
Old Jan 10, 2009, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by johnnytoobad
The upgrade sticky is the one that could be tweaked in my mind.
Its original purpose was to address OpUps specifically as a very common question. But I'd be happy to find some time to expand it with the other 'Ways you actually CAN get an upgrade' items you suggest...would certainly make it more 'ultimate' I will talk to Swanhunter about how this fits in with his own update plans.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Bump! Any additional thoughts/suggestions?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Well I still think that a “Seating Policy Sticky” is the way to go, if even only on a trial basis to monitor it’s effect.

To my mind, it seems that the “seating policy” pops up very often on here & in my opinion will continue to do so. As I feel so passionately about BA’s seating policy I do think it should be highlighted here for those looking for information to easily find. I definitely think that a dedicated & obvious sticky about would be a very good idea.

Along with providing people with the information on the policy it would also serve to
deflect a fair proportion of new threads on the subject. Which in turn might save ruffling the feathers of the regulars, who are sick of the subject being regurgitated time & time again. As it is mostly newcomers to the board that open threads on the policy, I’ve seen some get a rather “icy” reception to their queries, which does not present a good image of this excellent board to someone posting for the first time. So again, if there was a place clearly titled where they can get their info from, they might be saved from a prodding & continue to contribute to the board, rather than scampering off.

Don’t forget that “Today’s newcomer is the regular of tomorrow !”

I do agree wholeheartedly that the amount of Stickies should be kept to the minimum. But with some restructuring & condensing, we could achieve that. The “Upgrade Sticky” for instance could get swallowed up into the “Ultimate Guide”. As the amount of seating policy questions far outweighs the amount of upgrade questions.

I think that Stickies should not be set in stone & should cater to most relevant subjects of the time. The NGCW Sticky being a case in point. It served a hugely valuable role during the roll out, but now is much less relevant. The seating policy, certainly to me at least, seems to be one of the current “hot topics” so therefore a Sticky to address it would be a great idea.

Put it up & see what happens. If it reduces the amount of new threads on the subject great leave it there. If not, well then I was wrong & so be it
Old Jan 22, 2009, 2:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Those eagle eyed among us will have already noticed kered's addition to the BA Upgrade Guide. Thanks to his fantastic efforts, we now have a combined sticky covering operational upgrade and seating policy details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.