Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar VIP party grounds BA 563 in LIN yesterday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2007, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, UA, DL, AB

Italian media are reporting this morning that BA 563 LIN-LHR was kept on the ground for 3 hours yesterday afternoon, after a member of the royal family did not want the women in his party to sit next to other men.

He prevented the flight from taking off until he could find a way to sit the women either next to a family member or alone, but all other J passengers refused to move. After three hours of negotiations, he finally agreed to keep the seats they were given at check-in, but at this point the BA captain decided not to take him and his party on board and left them in LIN.

They were flown to LHR later on a AZ flight.

The whole article (in Italian) is here:
http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/C...ar_Galli.shtml

Last edited by SwissexLUG; Jul 27, 2007 at 2:44 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 27, 2007, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by SwissexLUG
but at this point the BA captain decided not to take him and his party on board and left them in LIN.
Jolly good for him ^
Old Jul 27, 2007, 3:34 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Pyeinthesky
Jolly good for him ^
Indeed, and good for the J pax too who refused to move for the DYKWIA. ^
Old Jul 27, 2007, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
2 obvious questions:

How can that nonsense have taken 3 hours ?

If (as he plainly did) the Captain had a discretion to throw them off and was actually prepared to exercise it, why did he wait 3 hours to do it ??? One might have thought that 30 - 60 mins of that sort of nonsense would have been more than sufficient.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 4:50 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Should have claimed they were minors. (Under the Qatari equivalent of a burka, could you tell?) BA would have had to have moved the pax then...
Old Jul 27, 2007, 5:01 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
If (as he plainly did) the Captain had a discretion to throw them off and was actually prepared to exercise it, why did he wait 3 hours to do it ??? One might have thought that 30 - 60 mins of that sort of nonsense would have been more than sufficient.
I believe that there was some pressure to accommodate the passenger, given their importance. TFA states that a Qatari consular official was involved in the mediation, as well as the police, to avoid a "diplomatic incident".
Old Jul 27, 2007, 5:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I guess he hadn't paid full fare or held status then, or he would have been able to pre-assign - another happy customer due to BA's seating policy

I feel sorry for the people stuck down the back in Y while this was all sorted out
Old Jul 27, 2007, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
I feel sorry for the people stuck down the back in Y while this was all sorted out
Surely the other "normal" pax in J suffered equally by the 3 hour delay while this was sorted out!
Old Jul 27, 2007, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by csdf
I believe that there was some pressure to accommodate the passenger, given their importance. TFA states that a Qatari consular official was involved in the mediation, as well as the police, to avoid a "diplomatic incident".
That makes it even more strange that it went to the point of the VIP agreeing to keep original seats and then the Captain decided not to take them I am assuming that this has been accurately reported of course!
Old Jul 27, 2007, 5:31 am

Programs: BA
Could they not have sorted this out at check-in?
Old Jul 27, 2007, 5:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Surely the other "normal" pax in J suffered equally by the 3 hour delay while this was sorted out!
No, definitely inequally. Y seats are smaller remember, with less pitch? And the J pax would have entertainment laid on in the shape of the DYKWIA.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 6:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Jenbel
No, definitely inequally. Y seats are smaller remember, with less pitch? And the J pax would have entertainment laid on in the shape of the DYKWIA.
Jen,

I'd love to know what time the 563 got on stand yesterday.

I'm not able to access where I am - can you. I'm just intrigued as to why the Capt took a 3 hour delay on this and wonder if a little artistic licence in the article. I would have turned the lot off!

PG
Old Jul 27, 2007, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I'd love to know what time the 563 got on stand yesterday.
BA 563
Depart LIN
Scheduled: 07/26/07 3:55 PM
Estimated: 07/26/07 5:45 PM
Actual: 07/26/07 6:28 PM

Arrive LHR Term: 1
Scheduled: 07/26/07 5:05 PM
Estimated: 07/26/07 7:41 PM
Actual: 07/26/07 7:42 PM
Old Jul 27, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
From Ba.com:

BA0563 LIN LHR 26 JUL 17:05 26 JUL 19:42 Actual

EDIT - shouldn't have done that artistic bolding, should I?
Old Jul 27, 2007, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
I am just wondering why if someone is that "impotent", wealthy and picky about their personal arrangments and ability to interact with the larger non muslim world out there, why they would not just own or charter a private jet. Flying on a public aircraft implies that you will have to interact with the "public". If you want to live your life in your medieval muslim
coocoon, then you should arrange all your travel and any movements that take you out into the big bad world of filthy infidels to be insulated from such.
Just waiting to hear from some fool who will try to justify this type of behaviour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.