Wiki Posts
Search

Latest hand baggage restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2007, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Latest hand baggage restrictions?

Hello!.

Im travelling from Oslo to London in august. (Travelling Club Europe)

I have read the following on BA.com:

Passengers departing from or transferring through the UK may only take ONE piece of Hand Baggage

Due to airport security restrictions currently in place in the UK, only ONE piece of Hand Baggage will be permitted when departing from or transferring through the UK.
We will continue to keep you informed of any changes to the security restrictions.

and

Passengers travelling to the UK only

There are currently restrictions in place for passengers departing from the UK or connecting onto another flight in the UK. Please see above for further information.

These allowances apply for all passengers entering the UK only:

one standard-sized bag - maximum size of the bag, 56x45x25cm (22x18x10in)
plus one laptop or briefcase
NB. You must be able to lift your bag unaided into the aircraft overhead locker.
Cabin crew will assist customers with additional needs.

I need my laptop with me on this trip. From oslo to London it shouldnt be a problem since its allowed to have a laptop with my hand baggage.

But on the return flight, the restriction is that only 1 hand baggage is allowed.. but no laptop... Can i put my laptop in my hand baggage? Is it possible to do this?

I ask cause here in Norway when travelling with laptop you have to scan it for it self..

Thanks for your help guys!
Old Jul 26, 2007, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
You'll need to put your laptop in your hand luggage to go through the security check, and ensure your bag still fits within the size gauge. And the laptop must be shown separately as you go through. However, you can take it out again once you've gone through security.

However, I believe there's currently a trial going on at T1 where those connecting through FCC can take two bags. Not sure if this is applicable if changing terminals at LHR.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

But i was wondering of the following:

When travelling in Club Europe, you can have 2 bags of baggages.. max 23kg each, meaning 46kg total?

I can´t find any kg allowance for handbagge.. do you know what is it when travelling CE?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Thoretically there is no limit on hand luggage weight, it's just provided you can lift it into the overhead locker without any assistance from anybody else.

Yes you are allowed 2 x 23kg in CE (46kg), though leeway is currently being given to allow up to 32kg per piece (64kg).

This thread may give you some more insight on the current trial of 2 allowed pieces of hand luggage in T1.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Thoretically there is no limit on hand luggage weight, it's just provided you can lift it into the overhead locker without any assistance from anybody else.
Are you sure? Cause here with SAS its 8kg maximum...

Leeway? What is it?

Sorry for my poor english ;(
Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zerocool
Are you sure? Cause here with SAS its 8kg maximum...

Leeway? What is it?

Sorry for my poor english ;(
Yep, I'm sure on the hand baggage weight. BUT the crew will not help you lift it, and you must be able to fit it in a bag no larger than 56x45x25cm (or 22x18x10in).

Leeway in this case means, BA are allowing flexibility and not enforcing the rule of 23kg just yet.

Don't worry, your English is much better than my Norwegian
Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
How big are is your hand baggage and laptop bag put together ?
Do they still fit the 56x45x25cm (22x18x10in) size requirement?

If you find a plastic bag big enough to fit both into hang baggage and laptop bag - hey you have one bag after all.

The bag rule only applies when you enter the security area not when for the scanning machine. Laptops have to sent separately as well so you have to remove the laptop from the bag for the scanning machine.

Me ?!!
I have one hand baggage with two laptop bags inside. So when I enter the security area, I have one bag. When I go to the scanner, I have 3 bags (original hand baggage, 2 laptop bags), two trays - one for each laptop, and one tray for shoes, belt and jacket. That is 6 separate items through the scanner. So much for the stupid one hand baggage rule.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zerocool
Hello!.

Im travelling from Oslo to London in august. (Travelling Club Europe)

Hei og hjerteleg velkommen til Flyertalk.

Jeg prøver å snakke norsk
Old Jul 26, 2007, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Don't worry, your English is much better than my Norwegian

Vær så snill å gi meg noen klær, jeg er naken.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Vr s snill gi meg noen klr, jeg er naken.
Stop scaring the poor chap Smirnoff!
Old Jul 26, 2007, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Hvor er toalettet?
Old Jul 26, 2007, 7:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
You'll need to put your laptop in your hand luggage to go through the security check, and ensure your bag still fits within the size gauge. And the laptop must be shown separately as you go through. However, you can take it out again once you've gone through security.
You might be lucky like me when I was asked to "size" my bag and when it didnt fit was told to take out the laptop so laptop would fit
Old Jul 27, 2007, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Vær så snill å gi meg noen klær, jeg er naken.

I've just found the English translation for this!!! Are you really Smirnoff?! I would make further comment but will restrain myself

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Jul 27, 2007 at 3:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.