Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Martin George and 3 other BA Execs are potentially in BIG trouble

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Martin George and 3 other BA Execs are potentially in BIG trouble

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
That's quite true.

The one-sided extradition process is a joke though. Or would be if it wasn't so blatantly unfair and such a serious matter.

BAH
Well, I'm not an expert on U.K. extradition law and, since I am not a British subject, it really is none of my business, but it does seem like a valid concern.
Old May 30, 2007, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jeez, as noted above:

1) Plea bargaining exists in EXACTLY the same fashion in the US as in the UK.
2) As stated above anti-competition laws are also pretty draconian in the UK.
3) The extradition treaty is completely bilateral and the same conditions apply in both directions, (unless of course you believe the pathetic pleas of the criminal Enron bankers).
4) the concept of maximum sentencing for an offense applies in most countries, as stated above it is rarely enforced.
5) Martin George is/was an arrogant ...... that personally screwed every single person on this board and deserves no sympathy.
Old May 30, 2007, 1:00 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by hfly
Jeez, as noted above:

1) Plea bargaining exists in EXACTLY the same fashion in the US as in the UK.
2) As stated above anti-competition laws are also pretty draconian in the UK.
3) The extradition treaty is completely bilateral and the same conditions apply in both directions, (unless of course you believe the pathetic pleas of the criminal Enron bankers).
4) the concept of maximum sentencing for an offense applies in most countries, as stated above it is rarely enforced.
5) Martin George is/was an arrogant ...... that personally screwed every single person on this board and deserves no sympathy.
1. Agree
2. Agree
3. My understanding of this is that the US do not have to show any evidence to a UK judge to request the extradition. It does not work the same the other way around, we have to show a US judge the evidence to prove our case. I am sure others will add more meat to my very simple summery of what I have read / heard. Ok this could now bw wrong as it looks like on Sep 7th 2006 the US Senate signed the treaty so we have equal powers.. I read this on an Irish American site.4. Agree
5. No idea, don't know the man.

Last edited by CT-UK; May 30, 2007 at 1:07 pm Reason: Did some research.......
Old May 30, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Agree with 1, 2, 4, 5. But I think 3 is not yet ratified - I suspect that the conditions for the UK to extradite are more onerous than for the US to extradite.

I'm not certain of this, however, so if someone KNOWS better I'd love to find out !

BAH
Old May 30, 2007, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK it is now bilateral, hence why I wrote what I wrote.
Old May 30, 2007, 9:10 pm
Suspended

AFAIK it is now bilateral, hence why I wrote what I wrote.
If that's the case, what a spectacular example of about rant/bash first (pretty much unanimously)-- inconvenient, annoying facts later.
Old May 30, 2007, 10:07 pm

The treaty was finally ratified by the US in September 2006.

Wikipedia suggests:

"The extradition arrangements between the U.S. and the UK are highly unequal. It is comparatively easy to extradite British citizens to America. In contrast it is difficult to extradite Americans to Britain."
Old May 31, 2007, 1:56 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by The Saint
The treaty was finally ratified by the US in September 2006.

Wikipedia suggests:

"The extradition arrangements between the U.S. and the UK are highly unequal. It is comparatively easy to extradite British citizens to America. In contrast it is difficult to extradite Americans to Britain."
Erm, but the British government did agree to the treaty, didn't it? My gut reaction is to say that if you don't like it, don't blame America, blame our elected leaders.
Old May 31, 2007, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by ajax
Erm, but the British government did agree to the treaty, didn't it? My gut reaction is to say that if you don't like it, don't blame America, blame our elected leaders.
Well they are to blame for more or less everything else.........
Old May 31, 2007, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was the wiki entry written by the Irish (pro-IRA) groups that have been so vehemently against it?? Never quote Wikipedia as a real source as it will often make you look like an idiot.
Old May 31, 2007, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by ajax
I certainly wasn't blaming America - I blame the UK government for signing the treaty in the first place.

But it does seem that the treaty is now bilateral from what others have written.

BAH
Old May 31, 2007, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Just to clarify, my protest here is entirely against the UK Government. The US has a right to take whatever action it feels appropriate against those it perceives as criminals. It is up to the UK Government to protect UK citizens and provide them with their appropriate rights. I do not believe that this treaty does that and I strongly want it to be repealed.

I believe any foreign government (outside of the EU for which I believe special rules apply under EU law) which wishes to extradite a UK citizen from the UK should provide prima facie evidence for the crime they have supposedly committed, and allow that UK citizen to be able to know and understand the evidence against him and provide a defence to it, before they are extradited off to some foreign jurisdiction. Full stop.
Old May 31, 2007, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, there is not entirely full reciprocity, as requests to the US must establish a probable cause under Art 8(3)(c) of the Treaty whereas extradition to the US is more or less automatic.
Originally Posted by Art 8(3)(c) of the UK-US Extradition Treaty
3. In addition to the requirements in paragraph 2 of this Article, a request for extradition
of a person who is sought for prosecution shall be supported by:
[...]
(c) for requests to the United States, such information as would provide a
reasonable basis to believe that the person sought committed the offense
for which extradition is requested.
But, in any event, the reciprocity element is not, imo, the core issue. The very notion of extradition without any review of the evidence by the Court allowing the extradition is the real problem, whether there is reciprocity or not. On this, I think that Liberty have got it right.
Old May 31, 2007, 3:18 am
jhm

Originally Posted by PhilH
I believe any foreign government (outside of the EU for which I believe special rules apply under EU law) which wishes to extradite a UK citizen from the UK should provide prima facie evidence for the crime they have supposedly committed, and allow that UK citizen to be able to know and understand the evidence against him and provide a defence to it, before they are extradited off to some foreign jurisdiction. Full stop.
And if prima facie evidence is provided (which may be voluminous for white collar crime) and a defence given, who's to decide ? Doesn't that sound like a trial here in the UK in circumstances where perhaps only foreign laws have been broken ?
Old May 31, 2007, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jhm
And if prima facie evidence is provided (which may be voluminous for white collar crime) and a defence given, who's to decide ? Doesn't that sound like a trial here in the UK in circumstances where perhaps only foreign laws have been broken ?
I believe NickB's post just before yours answers this point perfectly.
Originally Posted by NickB
The very notion of extradition without any review of the evidence by the Court allowing the extradition is the real problem, whether there is reciprocity or not. On this, I think that Liberty have got it right.
I accept the case before where clever defence lawyers could delay and delay extradition procedures for a very long time, but the answer to that was not to abrogate everyone's rights and make extradition to the US virtually automatic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.