Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Tyler's at it again

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2007, 6:53 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Well the find for me has been a new hair gell by Shiseido that is only stocked in Japan, oh and page 170 says Prada are coming out with a new phone

First impressions though were a little diasappointing. You flick through and not much really stands out. But then you look in depth and I have to say many articles are plain interesting. The Japanese navy being one, and whilst I dislike the monochrome colours in a typical Stockholm bachelor pad, I do commend the use of space. It's Wallpaper* but classier. And I'm not sure if I like the environmentally friendly paper. And the models in Italian Uomo are better looking, although the Gucci ad on the back cover is nice.

Yes I think I'll subscribe for a year and see how it goes.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
What are the chances of me finding a copy in Cardiff I wonder?

Would all waterstones offer it? (Magazines even? )

How about WHSmith? We have a big one of them.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
<removed>

Last edited by influential; Feb 16, 2007 at 9:03 am Reason: Smut
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by flyclub

I suspect Tyler knows not where Cardiff is.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:05 am

FlyClub, doesn't Cardiff have a local airport from where you can connect to a *A flight to NRT and then purchase you magazine in transit and buy all those wonderful products to bring back. Kill two birds with one stone so to speak.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:16 am
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Ah.

And very nice it is too.

^
Still awaiting mine, here in Ireland ..... Their subscription service seems to be going through growing pains

JP
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by flyclub

Waterstones does have a small selection of magazines. These are usually design/travel titles, so it may well stock Monocle.

I bought my copy in WHSmith. (I don't like their carrier bags).

Is there a Borders in Cardiff? They usually have a decent range of magazines.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:11 pm

Note the website http://www.monocle.com has been updated and under the "Edits" section there are some recommendations for Geneva, Hong Kong, London, New York and Tokyo with 25 city and 25 resort guides promised for subscribers.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by ian001
I bought my copy in WHSmith. (I don't like their carrier bags).
Target demographic.

I asked a local newsagent if he could find a copy...

Newsagent: Monocle, what's that?

Me: a new magazine for pretentious people.

Newsagent: how often does it come out?

Me: whenever it's glamorous [went down like a cup of warm sick]

Newsagent: 5 quid a copy? What is it gold plated>

Me: Yes, a fiver a copy. No gold plating, just luts of fussy design.

Newsagent: So what's so special about it?

Me: Nothing, until I've read it. But I'm curious.

Still suspect nothing can compete with either Elite magazine, nor that unusual woman who advertises upmarket matchmaking in the BA magazine
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by virtualtroy
Still suspect nothing can compete with either Elite magazine, nor that unusual woman who advertises upmarket matchmaking in the BA magazine
Elite magazine is just crap, but the Valenti lady is something else. New photo in the advert this month..you can almost see the plastic surgery scars.
Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
the Valenti lady is something else. New photo in the advert this month..you can almost see the plastic surgery scars.
Ah yes, that's her name... But what happened to the small child who was introduced to us in a previous edition, yet has not featured since?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:43 am

I'm confused by Tyler's economics. The cover price is £5, and if I were to buy the next 10 I would pay £50. Or I can subscribe through their website and pay £75 for 10 issues

Yet if I buy online I wouldn't be able to walk into by newsagent and flick through Uomo, Australian gourmet traveller, 10, Elle Homme, Vogue Italia, Blue and other male interest titles.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
I'm confused by Tyler's economics. The cover price is £5, and if I were to buy the next 10 I would pay £50. Or I can subscribe through their website and pay £75 for 10 issues
My thought exactly! I picked up a copy at Lime Street WHS at lunchtime and was very surprised by the subscription rate. I was expecting something like £29! This may not be such a clever move given that distribution will be limited - I'm not walking down to Lime St every 6 weeks, neither am I paying over the odds for a sub especially when the life of this thing could be limited.

The size of the thing was a real shock. 240 pages is very fat. I would actually be more tempted to get it if there was less in it - although not having flicked through it properly yet I may find there is less in it than I think already!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:01 am

A subscription will give you access to the website content, though there's not much on there at the moment.

I would still expect a discount on the cover price for a subscription as is standard (publisher gets cash upfront, no newsagent margin etc). The Economist gives an introductory 55% discount to subscribers and full access to all of the substantial content on Economist.com for an annual subscription.

Having perused this magazine, whilst followers of Wallpaper* and Tyler may try this magazine, I'm not sure it will attract many casual browsers of the newstands. There's nothing that really stands-out, and normally when I read a magazine I tend to dip in and out of the main features, whereas with this publication I don't know where to start. Before you say "from the front", the Japanese manga supplement is read backwards.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:22 am
jhm

I tried to buy a copy at Waterstones Piccadilly on Saturday but the person I spoke to swore blind that they don't stock it, he does the magazines and he's never heard of it and it's not on their computer.

I will check out the WHS in Lime St...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.