Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I'm off ... how to give 100k BA Miles to Charity?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm off ... how to give 100k BA Miles to Charity?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Oh yes, I haven't had so much fun since... oh... all the threads were locked and moved and you lot became the "usual suspects".

Time to call it a night (morning?).
But it's only 6pm - who are you heading to bed with. I thought I was the slut
Old Jan 24, 2007, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
But it's only 6pm - who are you heading to bed with. I thought I was the slut
Err. Would you like a time zone clock for Christmas? It's 2.06, and my driver is coming (in the sense of arriving) at 3.20.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Can I get to BKK on 100K miles? I think not. Not in F anyway
Old Jan 24, 2007, 4:47 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
It's 2.06, and my driver is coming (in the sense of arriving) at 3.20.

EXCELLENT thread!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 4:55 pm

Only if Tatiana gets a free ticket over. There's always room in 1B, next to me.

Paging Adrian - SS to meet the passenger in 1C (and 1B ) and arrange swift transportation to the Arrivals Lounge.
I don't think so, I don't want scrambled eggs being chucked about first thing....
Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're serious about this..

There's a charity called Architects for Aid who could really use those miles. The current head of RIBA has donated them office space in his own (www.pringle-brandon.co.uk) and they are a small group of extremely hardworking people who work with eminent Architects who give up their own time to help communities rebuild their homes. (Pakistan - levelled by the earthquake and parts of Indonesia affected by the Tsunami are amongst their projects).
Obviously, the eminent Architects don't need the miles, but air travel is occasionally required by members of this A4A team (who will fly economy on the lowest possible fares).
I shared office space with them for about a year and know that they are entirely legit.
Their website is: http://www.architectsforaid.org/

If this doesn't strike a chord, I'm sure there are other charities with concerns abroad who would love the opportunity NOT to spend their funds on a required airfare.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:05 pm

The OP did not ask for beggars. He asked if he could give his miles to charity not----Come on, start begging me for my miles. I liked the 2 who never post but suddenly they are very altruistic giving an apartment to someone ---a needy person for a holiday and oh, they might just be able to use the free miles
Then we had the Russian Jews! That was a good one also.
My advice to the OP would be to pm reliable people like raffles, smirnoff, more champagne sir etc. etc. They are helpful people who would surely advise you and ask for nothing in return.
Just a thought!
Good luck to the OP and don't be taken in by sob stories!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by braefoot
The OP did not ask for beggars. He asked if he could give his miles to charity not----Come on, start begging me for my miles. I liked the 2 who never post but suddenly they are very altruistic giving an apartment to someone ---a needy person for a holiday and oh, they might just be able to use the free miles
My advice to the OP would be to pm reliable people like raffles, smirnoff, more champagne sir etc. etc. They are helpful people who would surely advise you and ask for nothing in return.
Just a thought!
You have something against the Irish also?
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:52 pm

Smile

Oh no! My celtic cousins? I have nothing against them. On the contrary. I could send you a wee something so that you could get your daily quota of guinness.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver BA, Platinum Marriott, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold,
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I understand the aggravation, but what would your decision have been if the answer had been "Your bags may or may not be on the flight, and that's all we can tell you"? That, in reality, is the situation that you would have been in.

BTW, I'm not sure it's true that every flight has a list of the bags on board. The baggage handlers make the list, but I'm not sure it goes on board. Anyone know?
If I had been told that "We are facing massive disruption and the baggage belts are working intermittently. Your bags may or may not be on the flight, and that's all we can tell you" ... I would have cancelled the trip and gone home.

Many thanks for all the replies and the many offers to put me in touch with various charities. I'm sure they are all dear to your heart and are worthy causes in their own rights However, I support my own private charities and in the event that my airmiles are auctioned, my intention is to donate and gift aid the money to those charities.

A number of you are probably thinking, "is he or isn't he?" ... well, I'm not 100% sure myself yet. It will depend on the response that I get from BA and I'm not able to check my personal email until the weekend.

Good luck with the strikes ... yet more agony for BA passengers.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NickPowell77
If I had been told that "We are facing massive disruption and the baggage belts are working intermittently. Your bags may or may not be on the flight, and that's all we can tell you" ... I would have cancelled the trip and gone home.
Yes, but the announcement wouldn't have helped the other 90% of passengers who are not on flexible tickets, or those travelling to meetings that they cannot miss. It would just have caused more misery, high blood pressure and stress in an already overcrowded and stressed out pig pen.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver BA, Platinum Marriott, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold,
Originally Posted by latitude
Yes, but the announcement wouldn't have helped the other 90% of passengers who are not on flexible tickets, or those travelling to meetings that they cannot miss. It would just have caused more misery, high blood pressure and stress in an already overcrowded and stressed out pig pen.
Yep I agree. BA made it my problem when I got to JFK rather than dealing with the issue in LHR. I don't care what operational complexities BA have, I understand that there is a balance between what is practical and necessary. I also understand that consideration needs to be given to the majority.

What I don't like is that fact that BA knew that it was unlikely that our bags would arrive in our destination and no warning was given. Somebody could have had a quiet word with us in the lounge.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 4:58 am

Just a thought!
Pardon me for offending your sensibilities! I thought the guy was looking for a good cause to give his airmiles to. Did I get that wrong?
I have actually offered the use of the apartment to "Helen House" who are the subject of an ongoing BBC documentary at the moment. If anyone was kind enough to add something to that offer, the miles would be given through the charity and not through me!
I suggest you watch the programme and you may find yourself sufficiently moved to do what you can to help.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 6:16 am

Oh no! My celtic cousins? I have nothing against them. On the contrary. I could send you a wee something so that you could get your daily quota of guinness.
^ ^ ^ ^ I just drink it for my health! ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Jan 30, 2007, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by NickPowell77
With the chaos is LHR T4 that day, BA must have known that there was a high likelihood that the flight would be without most of its bags. There should at least of been a warning in LHR and I could have made my own decision - there is realy no excuse.
Sorry to resurrect something that's a few days old now, but if it's any consolation you weren't alone in your suffering:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.