Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Millions of passengers queuing at Heathrow because Iris doesn't work !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);

So says an idiot Tory MP - Ben Wallace ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Really this article shows that Ben Wally has no understanding of either the technology, what it is used for, the immigration process, or the fact that the objective is to avoid queuing.

For example: "Millions of people are going to arrive at Heathrow and wait in a queue because the system has crashed for over eight hours."

Do "millions of people" arrive at LHR in 8 hours; are they really going to queue at the Iris machines if they're not working ??

Not to mention that there's only 50,000 people registered thus far for IRIS.

And this guy will want people to vote for him
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To be fair, IRIS doesn't work. Or at least it didn't last Sunday. And there were..well not millions, but hundreds certainly queuing for passport control.

FYI, when I registered the kids for Iris last week, the guy in T4 said there are now 500,000 registered.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:25 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
It works fine for VC10 and has saved me a lot of time. I think part of the problem is that people move too quickly when it asks you to back up. Often just standing still works best. Align on the left eye rather than trying to fit two eyes on the green circles.

I love IRIS, I just hope too many people don't use it and there is a queue when I arrive. 500k registered when you think of the passenger movements through Shi*row isn't too many in the cheme of things.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
I love Iris.
Won't Mark be jealous?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
To be fair, IRIS doesn't work. Or at least it didn't last Sunday. And there were..well not millions, but hundreds certainly queuing for passport control.

But what he's saying is that you will queue by the broken Iris machine and wait for it to be fixed, so that you don't have to queue at a manned immigration desk ... even if it takes 8 hours to fix the machine.
And millions of other people will queue up behind you !
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:30 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
IRIS thread

We need an IRIS update sticky!

My general summary is
LGW North, always works
T1 never works
T4 usually works

all updates greatfully received
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:35 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I registered about 4 months ago. In my ten arrivals into the UK since then, it hasn't worked once. At T1, T4 or LGW N. I don't know why I bothered. Although it didn't matter on T4 yesterday - as it took 90 minutes for my baggage to make it to the carousel anyway. 3 747s allocated to one carousel. 1000 people waiting. Not pleasant.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by spotwelder

My general summary is
LGW North, always works
T1 never works
T4 usually works

T3 works fine but only one of the two booths is usually open.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Originally Posted by Smirnoff

FYI, when I registered the kids for Iris last week, the guy in T4 said there are now 500,000 registered.
I've had 100% success with IRIS to date!

(Probably means I won't the next time though ).
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jakesterUK
I've had 100% success with IRIS to date!

(Probably means I won't the next time though ).
Ditto. T1, T2, T3 & LGW all have worked when I have been through. But then again I probably don't fly that much compared to others in this thread.

Mind you I do keep a spare AA, CX & BA fast track invite in my travel wallet along with a completed immigrations card - just in case.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:54 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by spotwelder

My general summary is
LGW North, always works
T1 never works
T4 usually works

T1 always worked for me so far, and almost always been quicker than passport control...
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:09 am

It has worked well for me. However, I wonder how long it will be before IRIS registration is more restrictive. They allowed my entire family to sign up three weeks ago at Gatwick even though we are US passport holders and my children go through UK passport control about three times per year.

I haven't been through LHR (due to FT horror stories) so I can't comment on my IRIS experience there. However, I will get to experience LHR on Feb. 17. I am curious to see the circus.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:12 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by expatboy

T1 always worked for me so far, and almost always been quicker than passport control...
Me too.

Through immigration in seconds!

Only to have to wait 45 minutes for luggage!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:16 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
IRIS has always worked for me but my SO has had it fail on him at T4 once.

I think we should all shut up about IRIS, how long before enough people have registered and it becomes like "Fast" Bag Drop and not worth the effort?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:20 am

Another good trick for overseas airports is to use the Diplomatic channels. Go on a visit to the House of Lords and buy one of their passport covers in the shop. Insert your passport and then front up at the diplomatic/aircrew desk overseas. I have never been refused. I even ask politely if the boyf can come through, although I refer to him as my assistant, and it's never a problem.

I can't tell you how much time this saves if you have an early morning arrival in Oz - why wait two hours when you can breeze right through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.