Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Exchanging Marriott Points for Tesco CC and BA Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exchanging Marriott Points for Tesco CC and BA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2007, 4:53 pm
jh3

Originally Posted by Raffles
I have now had an email from Marriott (what appears to be a form email, albeit with a Dear Mr Raffles) saying that enough transfers have been reversed to put my account back into a positive balance. It is very polite and actually includes the line "We sincerely regret this inconvenience". Nothing yet shows on my MR balance.
Hi
As a newbie, have been searching through this thread as I thought the Tesco/Marriott offer was too good to be true. I've been told by Marriott cust svcs that collecting points direct to Tesco whilst at Marriott is valid - see below. Any thoughts?

"Tesco Clubcard Rewards would be discontinued effective today, March 14, 2007. The reward is no longer available to redeem your points, however, you can modify your stays to earn Tesco Clubcard points which is 2 points per US Dollar"
Old Mar 14, 2007, 5:21 pm

Programs: F
Originally Posted by jh3
Hi
As a newbie, have been searching through this thread as I thought the Tesco/Marriott offer was too good to be true. I've been told by Marriott cust svcs that collecting points direct to Tesco whilst at Marriott is valid - see below. Any thoughts?

"Tesco Clubcard Rewards would be discontinued effective today, March 14, 2007. The reward is no longer available to redeem your points, however, you can modify your stays to earn Tesco Clubcard points which is 2 points per US Dollar"
The website says 1 point per GB pound, which makes the alternative of 2 BA miles per US dollar better value.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by jh3
you can modify your stays to earn Tesco Clubcard points which is 2 points per US Dollar"[/I]

It is 1 point per £
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:24 pm
PTM

Just to clarify,

Are Marriott recalling ALL MR points transfered to Tesco Clubcard Points, even if this was done before March 8th, with seemingly no credit card or system problems?

Or does this 'recall' only affect people whose MR account went into negative balance for one reason or another?

In other words will I finally become a BA miles millionaire, or am I still likely to be scrimping and scraping miles come the May Tesco statement?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Well, I b***sed this up good and proper as I got my points on the last day but have been too busy to focus on converting them to Tesco points

all is not lost, however, as direct conversion to BA MIles is possible, although only 50k miles for 125k Marriott points.

Am I better going for AA miles (I have none !) or BA miles, viewed from the miles redemption benefits ??? Or maybe Continental miles would be good if they could be used on VS - I wonder if they can ??

"Points Code
125,000 566 Use Points

50,000 Frequent Flyer Miles
Bump up your frequent flyer mileage to secure an upgrade or fly to your choice of destinations.

Exchange your Marriott Rewards points for miles on any of the airlines listed below.

Receive 50,000 frequent flyer miles from:
Air Canada
Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
British Airways
Continental
Delta Air Lines
Frontier Airlines
Mexicana Airlines
Northwest Airlines
United Airlines
US Airways
Varig Brasil"
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Mucci Diamond Hairbursh & Mucci des Sacs Exotiques
Frequentflyer99, I am in exactly the same position ; I was in the process of registering a Tesco CC (thanks Dad) and planned on moving my BAEC account to the UK for 6 months.
Now I am stuck with over 400k in MR. I have been searching for options and it seems to me that the Travel package is the best use of MR, even if I decide not to use the hotel booking. Buying a package would cost me 1.96 MR points per BA mile versus the 2.5 MR points per BA mile using the direct conversion.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by PTM
Just to clarify,

Are Marriott recalling ALL MR points transfered to Tesco Clubcard Points, even if this was done before March 8th, with seemingly no credit card or system problems?

Or does this 'recall' only affect people whose MR account went into negative balance for one reason or another?

In other words will I finally become a BA miles millionaire, or am I still likely to be scrimping and scraping miles come the May Tesco statement?
I think that Tesco points have only been pulled back from those who spent their "bonus points", i.e. the MR points which mysteriously appeared in their accounts in error.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:20 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by redshift27
I think that Tesco points have only been pulled back from those who spent their "bonus points", i.e. the MR points which mysteriously appeared in their accounts in error.

They have also "cancelled" ie not sent for some people who's points were purchased in the 24 hours or so before the deadline.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:51 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
I submitted my transfer on 7th March... points are currently in neither Marriott nor Tesco accounts...
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:56 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
Originally Posted by schofs
I submitted my transfer on 7th March... points are currently in neither Marriott nor Tesco accounts...

DITTO.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Same here and just checked it this morning. Nothing returned and nothing in Tesco so I'm guessing they are on their way somewhere in cyberspace...
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Am I better going for AA miles (I have none !) or BA miles, viewed from the miles redemption benefits ???
Depends where you want to redeem. AA rewards in J or F are a lot cheaper than BA (for BA metal redemptions) to certain destinations, mainly India and the Middle East. Various past threads discuss this. You could also top off your AA miles by getting the Citi AA credit card with its 5k (?) bonus.

AA miles can also be transferred into Hilton points at 1:2 which could be useful at some of the better Conrads or top end Hiltons, which are generally (in my view) better hotels than the best Marriotts. 20k AA would get you 40k Hilton which would get you 1 night in a highest category property.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Me as well, I transfered on the 8th as soon as the MR points showed. I did buy them on the 28th Feb and they took a week to arrive.Fingers and everything else crossed.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Depends where you want to redeem. AA rewards in J or F are a lot cheaper than BA (for BA metal redemptions) to certain destinations, mainly India and the Middle East. Various past threads discuss this. You could also top off your AA miles by getting the Citi AA credit card with its 5k (?) bonus.

AA miles can also be transferred into Hilton points at 1:2 which could be useful at some of the better Conrads or top end Hiltons, which are generally (in my view) better hotels than the best Marriotts. 20k AA would get you 40k Hilton which would get you 1 night in a highest category property.
So you are suggesting 400k Marriott points -> 190k (?) AA miles -> 380k Hilton points = 9 days in top Hilton hotel.

But 400k Marriott points = 17 nights in a top Marriott.

Are the Hiltons that much better?

(Oh - wait! I get it. You get 2 x 7 nights Marriott stay certificates for "free" PLUS the Hilton stays.)

Last edited by redshift27; Mar 15, 2007 at 5:07 am Reason: brainwave
Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:45 am

Programs: OW Gold, Star Gold
Same here.
Marriot account showing points leaving account on the 7th but nothing in my Tesco account yet.
The first set was in the account within 3 days or so of leaving Marriot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.