Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Female pilot / captain experience?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
I had an all boy crew bar one on todays BD598 flight from LHR to MAN.

I did indeed raise my eyes when I heard the female first officer on the PA system but it doesn't bother me really as long as I get to where I'm going. Has anyone heard of a female pilot being involved in a crash?

Anyway, upon landing, the cabin supervisor said, I quote....

"On behalf of all your cabin crew, and the boys in the cockpit, we'd like to thankyou for flying bmi and wish you a pleasent day"

Now I thought it was a woman in the cockpit; either that or he was unbelievabley camp

Last edited by Boddingtons; Feb 9, 2007 at 6:09 am
Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Boddingtons

Has anyone heard of a female pilot being involved in a crash?
There have been several. Two that come to mind are the Valujet that put it in the Everglades (plus she was a SCAB) and the USAir Express flight that hit the hangar on depature. Both of the Capts were female.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by jwillett13
There have been several. Two that come to mind are the Valujet that put it in the Everglades (plus she was a SCAB) and the USAir Express flight that hit the hangar on depature. Both of the Capts were female.
Whats a SCAB?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:48 pm

Whats a SCAB?
Someone that crosses a picket line during a labor stike....She was an Eastern SCAB
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:34 pm

There are far more female pilots around than you may think (talking as an air traffic controller). Personally I couldn't care if they are male/female/other... as long as they do what I tell em to do!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:21 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by koksy
There are far more female pilots around than you may think (talking as an air traffic controller). Personally I couldn't care if they are male/female/other... as long as they do what I tell em to do!
^ , ^ and ^ ^ ^
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
The pilot and co-pilot were both girlies, who looked like they were still at sixth form.
Had the same on a recent flight to TLV.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 2:57 am

Programs: BA, UA
I had a female FO into SOU last year, and she went around twice in our little DH8. Couldn't park it on the runway!

But then the Captain had a go and couldn't do it either in the thick fog. Cue a divert to BOH, where she forgot to engage the handbrake and the plane rolled into a ditch.

Just joking
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:28 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
When they said we had an all female crew today, I didn't realise they meant ALL female.
A true story from the very first 777 revenue flight from LHR which was operated by UA. A big fanfair and rollout wlecomed the pax checking in, the majority of which were unaware when they booked that it would be the very first flight on a 777.

C4 ran a documentary on the making of the 777 which covered this first flight and some elderly American chap checked in and was told something like "Congratulations sir, you are on the inaugural 777 flight".

He turned away, completely unaware of the historic occasion he was part of and muttered to the camera something like, "Wow, I'm on an all girl flight, just hope they know how to fly the goddam thing"
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by fatmac70
I had a female FO on the Concorde in the early 90's.

That would have been Barbara Harmer. Flew with her a few times, when on shorthaul. She got her command on Concorde too. She's a real inspiration. Left school when she was 15 or 16 to become a hairdresser. Didn't she do well!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Skimo
Didn't she do well!
All I could think of was Bruce Forsyth when I read that last sentence
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:49 am

All I could think of was Bruce Forsyth when I read that last sentence
There's a bit of commentary in EA Cricket where Mark Nicholas says "... and didn't he do well?" when a catch is taken. It sounds uncannily similar to Brucey.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by BAW845_Matt
There's a bit of commentary in EA Cricket where Mark Nicholas says "... and didn't he do well?" when a catch is taken. It sounds uncannily similar to Brucey.
I was stood next to Mark in Perth. He was talking to John Emburey and Robert Key (who was scoffing down a kebab at 10.30am - PIG)

It was nice to see him, to see him nice
Old Feb 9, 2007, 6:18 am

Programs: BA-blue :( sad times
Originally Posted by Beany
I had a female captain on BA back from Singapore in May on the 744.
Me too on Tuesday eve to SIN, either that of some guy with a very high voice.

Probably a good route for shopping.

Last edited by stoney; Feb 9, 2007 at 6:19 am Reason: Cheekyness
Old Feb 9, 2007, 7:42 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
I had a girlfriend that was a Qantas FO on 767s (now 744s) and she was one of the best pilots that I ever flew with.

Two of my flying instructors were female.

There are several ladies on the LGW 737 fleet and at least one captain. I will not mention the name of the lady who is a 767 BA captain who I used to know quite well who asked me for advice about flying in Nigeria as she was off to Nairobi shortly!

I am glad that nobody has stooped as low as to mention that the cockpit of the all female flight deck aircraft has been renamed the "box office" as that would be below the standard of the BA board.

I am not sure about number of ladies in the helicopter world, at least they can stop and ask for directions as opposed to trying to read the map all the time!

Of course, in these more enlightened times, ladies are most welcome as pilots. I wonder if Saudi Arabian Airlines has considered recruiting them yet? Now that would be news!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.