FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   23 Kilos max baggage weight as of 13th Feb (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/635439-23-kilos-max-baggage-weight-13th-feb.html)

Brian_1 Dec 13, 2006 10:02 am

I've just called customer relations and chipped in my tuppence worth.

If we want anything to change we will all have to make our views know to BA.

B

Witch Dec 13, 2006 10:04 am

Well what can you add to all of that... when I thought the ludicrous seating policy was the most ridiculous BA could come up with...now checked bags.. it's beginning to look more RyanScare by the moment :mad:

Maybe each of us should print off this thread and post it to WW - if the Royal Mail don't lose it of course!

sunrisegirl Dec 13, 2006 10:07 am

I can't believe BA have the audacity to announce this again in the same week(ish) where they've introduced a policy which has already severely p...ed off their premium pax. :mad:

I hated this policy from the moment it was originally announced and made my feelings clear on the massive thread that ran at that time. It's pointless me going over same ground. However, coupled with the seating nonsense, like many others, this will be enough for me to look elsewhere for my travel.

I love BA's staff but their management is behaving in such a ridiculous fashion right now that it's hard to find any loyalty or support. Their decisions make little or no sense whatsoever.

I'm not sure what they're up to but I'm concerned - encouraging people to book online reduces numbers needed in Res; OLCI, self-service kiosks, etc give them a way of reducing numbers in the terminal; and automated baggage handling reduces numbers of staff needed there. :confused: Will BA soon be completely automated? :eek:

cracklehillhogg Dec 13, 2006 10:07 am

There will be no F in BA

Do you really think that they care? People keep saying F off, well thats whats coming , no F anymore. It was said let there be 3 classes, but no F, thats whats coming. CW will go all the way to the front. So by the sounds of it you ladies can throw all your toys out of the pram and it wont make a damn bit of difference, all you are raising is your blood pressure. Vote with your feet. I was coming back to BA after being disenchanted years ago and have already found that they couldn't give a donald. I also suspect that like bank charges, when one makes a move and gets away with it the rest will eventually follow. Enjoy your big bags with the rest, while it lasts. As a final note, i would not want to try to carry more than 23 kg in one bag with me, that is unless i had a sherpa cos i would need to carry a truss for afters

TomCayman Dec 13, 2006 10:44 am

As many know, I am a long time AA loyalist who has gradually flown more on BA in the last year or two, and that is despite the always rubbish mileage earning on BA (compared to AA).

Now add this baggage policy to the seat assignement nonsense and count another $20k or so per year that BA will lose to AA.

I just don't get why the absolute limit of 23kg ? It is not so much the weight that bothers me, but the hassle of shifting bags. I can already tell you that a 2/3 week family holiday for five of us makes it really tough to get all those bags (plus stroller, car seat etc) in the rental car, let alone mutliple airport trolleys !

AA is (again) more sensible here. Sure, they have the same 23kg limit, but you can go up to 32kg, you just pay an overweight charge. Let's the airline make a bit more money, and let's the customer decide.

House Dec 13, 2006 10:52 am

Originally Posted by TomCayman (Post 6842332)
I just don't get why the absolute limit of 23kg ?

So that when they introduce automated baggage check machines at T5 they won't need humans overriding the system everytime someone has a slightly overweight bag.

Like so much else at the moment, this is all about automation and eliminating discretion (as that requires a human being). By doing it now people are already conditioned by the time T5 comes along...

Not saying I agree with any of this, but there you go...

Moomba Dec 13, 2006 10:54 am

Sure, they have the same 23kg limit, but you can go up to 32kg, you just pay an overweight charge.

Which is only 25 USD

sunrisegirl Dec 13, 2006 11:00 am

AA is (again) more sensible here. Sure, they have the same 23kg limit, but you can go up to 32kg, you just pay an overweight charge. Let's the airline make a bit more money, and let's the customer decide.

I agree - shame BA doesn't care about its pax in the same way. £120 ($240) per piece is outrageous. :mad:

rabbitman Dec 13, 2006 11:18 am

Is this an opportunity for those who ship unaccompanied bags?

SLF Dec 13, 2006 11:30 am

OK, I was assuming (yes I know, that's dangerous) that this misguided policy was to be swept under the carpet, lost in the confusion surrounding the security alerts in August etc. Or that perhaps BA has entered a new, stakeholder focused, customer responsive phase and recognised the stupidity of it. Clearly I'm wrong and after having nearly shot off the first foot with the seating fiasco, out comes the bazooka again and it's being lined up for the other foot. I'm struggling to figure out the motives here...I really am. Is BA aiming to become a one-class airline with no FFP? What is going on?

Just in case anyone from BA is listening, this is a link to the previous (massive) thread on the subject. I daresay all opinions have been voiced in that thread, in amongst the 752 replies and 27116 views. I don't propose to repeat my views here, seems a waste of typing.

ian001 Dec 13, 2006 11:32 am

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl (Post 6842435)
I agree - shame BA doesn't care about its pax in the same way. £120 ($240) per piece is outrageous. :mad:

I have a hard suitcase (you have to with LHR's baggage system) and I easily come close or go over 23kg. £120 (£96 if you pay online) in excess baggage charges is disgraceful and is tantamount to extortion. :td: :td:

I do not want to have to cart two suitcases and one carry-on bag across London's public transport system to save myself £96-£120.

I'm not one to rant against BA at any opportunity, but its behaviour in recent months is demonstrating a stultifying level of arrogance.

flyclub Dec 13, 2006 11:40 am

Ooh - way too much detail in some of the postings people!

What with multiple outfits, roll-ons and the number of pants people take its all too much! ;)

I had to smile at the 3 cases for Club World/FIRST bit. Maybe they will start selling a third arm for people in Shopping the World? :rolleyes:

The _Banking_Scot Dec 13, 2006 12:05 pm

Hi,

Boy! does BA know how to annoy;

(1) Their staff given the posting on a possible vote for a strike
(2) their pax ( The Seating policy fiasco and now the baggage limit)

I have a Samsonite hard shell case and it is easy to get up to 23kg ( i'm usually around 27kg for a week's holiday)

VS allows 3 pieces of up to 32kg in Upper plus another case for Gold Card holders ( in all cabins although it is 23kg in economy but they can accept up to 32k on a supplement).

Regards

TBS

sunrisegirl Dec 13, 2006 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot (Post 6842838)
Hi,

Boy! does BA know how to annoy;

(1) Their staff given the posting on a possible vote for a strike
(2) their pax ( The Seating policy fiasco and now the baggage limit)

I have a Samsonite hard shell case and it is easy to get up to 23kg ( i'm usually around 27kg for a week's holiday)

VS allows 3 pieces of up to 32kg in Upper plus another case for Gold Card holders ( in all cabins although it is 23kg in economy but they can accept up to 32k on a supplement).

Regards

TBS

They might soon need to start adding services to take all the p...ed off BA pax as well. :rolleyes:

And when you think VS Upper Class is equivalent to BA's Club, not even BA First - it makes this all the more appalling. :mad:

Lucifer UK Dec 13, 2006 12:14 pm

WW has confused a low-cost airline, where punters turn up with bags way over the limit, but will put the excess charges straight on their credit cards, with a full service airline, where customers want the simple policy of having everything included in one price.

He has foolishly failed to realise that BA customers are not the sort from whom he can gain additional overall revenue through trying to perfectly price discriminate (as an economist), but rather are people who want minimum hassle, maximum service, and the ability to either enjoy their holiday or work effectively while travelling.

Consider this - BA lurkers - I carry a set of presentations in my luggage. One weeks' clothes, including a pair of shoes, and as a male with autumnal-weight clothes I am at the 23kg limit in a Samsonite hard shell case, so your thieving handlers don't get their hands on my stuff.

Now consider this - I go on a business trip in winter/I buy presents in autumn/I want a second set of presentations in my bag.

Result - I fly someone else.

Goodbye idiots! Have fun with your trade unions!

PS - I don't want to carry two cases - read the comment above about less hassle.