FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   23 Kilos max baggage weight as of 13th Feb (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/635439-23-kilos-max-baggage-weight-13th-feb.html)

PhilH Dec 13, 2006 9:24 am

Originally Posted by House (Post 6841760)
I thought "simplify" was always the BA euphemism for eliminating something entirely, while "enhance" signified cutting away at an existing benefit?

Indeed. However from now on, "simplify" will mean "make more complicated".

NickW Dec 13, 2006 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Teece (Post 6841499)
This came up before, but what sort of traveller on a purely business trip needs to take 46kg or 69kg of luggage?

Presumably you've never had to take a collapsible display stand to a conference, or the requisite accompanying glossies.

Dave Marsh Dec 13, 2006 9:31 am

Just wondering what will happen to Oneworld travel products (eg. XONEX etc...) I spoke to a QF CSO yesterday at SYD and she said, tough luck 23kgs per bag.

This will be a real hassle for RTW travel. Actually I think AA has a similar limit for domestic flights, but they don't enforce it (1 piece of check luggage only?)

Just wondering for your BAEC Gold members, do they give you an extra piece of luggage or extra 20Kgs? On CX, that is the offer to DMs.

pdsuk Dec 13, 2006 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy

I'm gay for godsake. If I go away for a week I can't be seen in the same outfit every day. I can't even be seen in the same outfit for the whole of one day.

Quote:

This is not on Sazza.

D'accord!! I know what you mean entirely!!

Oh my god I have just bust out laughing in the middle of our office !!!

We are off to Boston tomorrow evening and him indoors (read: gay partner) informed me last night that he has to have at least 2 outfits per day. Not necessarily a problem, but it means more cases to check and I always seem to be the one lugging them off the bl00dy baggage belt .... hmm. At least this now means that I can convince him indoors that we must have a family travel policy of at least WT + (he is making me sit down the back tomorrow night ..... :eek: )

Back to the topic at hand - I whole heartedly agree with the various posters. I used to be able to squeeze enough stuff into my 32 inch Samsonite (usually coming in at about 34 kgs) for my 3 week business trips. Coupled with rollaboard and laptop, I normally never needed a baggage trolley. There is no way I would have ever dreamed of lugging another piece of checked luggage around on those trips.

It seems like someone in BA has got it in their mind that they WILL introduce this policy, come hell or high water, despite the fact that they had a golden opportuntiy to let it die a death having no doubt had a gazillion emails / letters complaining about the absolute stupidity of it.

I cannot for one moment picture Posh Spice and David B sorting through her knickers at FIRST check in when they get told that their bags are overweight ..... mind you, if it was Jordan and Peter Andre, they would probably have Hello ! and OK! present for a photo shoot of it all :D :D :D

JimmyTheJock Dec 13, 2006 9:37 am

I wonder what some of you pack...? :confused:

On a recent trip I commented to SWMBO that by the feel of her suitcase she had packed everything...including the proverbial kitchen sink...as it felt much heavier than usual...but lo and behold I do remember it weighed in at just under 23kg.

I don't think I have ever seen mine show over about 20kg...even with a lot of winter clothing stuffed in for good measure.

As for taking multiple bags...if I put 2 in the hold that means I am not carrying anything on...which happens occasionally...although SWMBO would never be seen without her roll-along...with her roll-on inside! :D

As for what the poor pack...mentioned earlier...probably tins of baked beans in tomato sauce for the kids...:rolleyes:

Somehow I think there is a lot of ranting going on here...but there will not be that many people who move carrier because of this ruling...however inconvenient it may prove for a small minority...I may be wrong of course.

Dave Marsh Dec 13, 2006 9:41 am

Originally Posted by JimmyTheJock (Post 6841869)

On a recent trip I commented to SWMBO that by the feel of her suitcase she had packed everything...including the proverbial kitchen sink...as it felt much heavier than usual...but lo and behold I do remember it weighed in at just under 23kg.

I don't think I have ever seen mine show over about 20kg...even with a lot of winter clothing stuffed in for good measure.

As for taking multiple bags...if I put 2 in the hold that means I am not carrying anything on...which happens occasionally...although SWMBO would never be seen without her roll-along...with her roll-on inside! :D

As for what the poor pack...mentioned earlier...probably tins of baked beans in tomato sauce for the kids...:rolleyes:

Somehow I think there is a lot of ranting going on here...but there will not be that many people who move carrier because of this ruling...however inconvenient it may prove for a small minority...I may be wrong of course.

May I ask what suitcase do u use?

BEcause even with an empty case, my Samsonite hardshell comes in at 5Kgs
I NEVER had a case weighing under 20Kgs before @ checkin and I don't consider myself packing a lot (generally 3 suits, 5 shirts, 5 pants. 5 sets of under garments and a fair amount of causal clothes - all this for a 2 week + buisness trip around the world).

tom139 Dec 13, 2006 9:41 am

Originally Posted by pdsuk (Post 6841852)

Oh my god I have just bust out laughing in the middle of our office !!!

I hope we didn't get you in trouble!! :eek: HeHeHe:D

PhilH Dec 13, 2006 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh (Post 6841901)
May I ask what suitcase do u use?

BEcause even with an empty case, my Samsonite hardshell comes in at 5Kgs
I NEVER had a case weighing under 20Kgs before @ checkin and I don't consider myself packing a lot (generally 3 suits, 5 shirts, 5 pants. 5 sets of under garments and a fair amount of causal clothes - all this for a 2 week + buisness trip around the world).

3 suits for a 2 week business trip? Well, you can ditch one of those for a start. 5 different pairs of trousers (in addition to the three suit pairs!?!). 2-3 of those can go as well.

There we are. Probably just saved you 3-4 kgs easily. ;)

pdsuk Dec 13, 2006 9:44 am

Originally Posted by tom139 (Post 6841616)
D'accord!! I know what you mean entirely!!

Originally Posted by tom139 (Post 6841902)
I hope we didn't get you in trouble!! :eek: HeHeHe:D

Not at all - all in my office know what I am like and have come to see it as purely normal. You should see what I am like when I get off conference calls with particularly annoying clients :eek: :eek: Most of my co-workers just stand back and watch the show !!:D :D

tom139 Dec 13, 2006 9:47 am

Originally Posted by pdsuk (Post 6841923)
Not at all - all in my office know what I am like and have come to see it as purely normal. You should see what I am like when I get off conference calls with particularly annoying clients :eek: :eek: Most of my co-workers just stand back and watch the show !!:D :D

Ahhh GoodGood - Exshellent! HeHe. :D

uk1 Dec 13, 2006 9:49 am

It will of course COST BA more money as the case weight element of a case carrying 30 or 32kg isn't much more than one holding 23kg - and who is going to even think of replacing cases. So they will be carrying the same amount of "baggage" but more case wheight.

We came back this weekend with two cases weighing around 27kg each ie 54kg. I guess on BA flights in future I'll now be carrying 3 cases each holding around 18kg each, taking more hold space and the weight of an extra case.

More fuel and less green.

The Saint Dec 13, 2006 9:52 am

Originally Posted by uk1 (Post 6841954)
It will of course COST BA more money as the case weight element of a case carrying 30 or 32kg isn't much more than one holding 23kg - and who is going to even think of replacing cases. So they will be carrying the same amount of "baggage" but more case wheight.

We came back this weekend with two cases weighing around 27kg each ie 54kg. I guess on BA flights in future I'll now be carrying 3 cases each holding around 18kg each, taking more hold space and the weight of an extra case.

More fuel and less green.

But who cares about being green when you can gouge £120 per sector out of your pax for each additional bag.

Ker-ching.

Kiwi Flyer Dec 13, 2006 9:54 am

What with the carry on rules, baggage rules, high taxes, security nonsense with high risk of misconnecting, higher risk of losing bags, risk of strikes, etc, it is getting nigh on impossible to justify flying through UK any more. It is time for me to brush up on the best back alleys through CDG, AMS and FRA.

:(

Stewie Mac Dec 13, 2006 9:55 am

Originally Posted by JimmyTheJock (Post 6841869)

Well, our standard is one large duffle bag between us, and a small rucksack and handbag to carry on. [If you're going to check bags, you may as well check everything]. The duffle bag for one week comes in at about 20ish kg, but as people say above, if you're carrying Xmas gifts, diving gear or the like then it will often be a bit heavier.

I'm joining the chorus who say 'eff off BA'

:mad:

krich Dec 13, 2006 9:59 am

Originally Posted by StewieMac (Post 6841997)
Well, our standard is one large duffle bag between us, and a small rucksack and handbag to carry on. [If you're going to check bags, you may as well check everything]. The duffle bag for one week comes in at about 20ish kg, but as people say above, if you're carrying Xmas gifts, diving gear or the like then it will often be a bit heavier.

I'm joining the chorus who say 'eff off BA'

:mad:

Same here, round about 20kg for the suitcase we share (sometimes a duffle bag, sometimes a suitcase if it is a longhaul trip) but many times, with shopping done whilst abroad all year round, the maximum weight on the return is around 24 to 25kg, but with this new policy....:td:, No pooling of allowance:td:, No weight allowance difference between WT/WT+ and CW/F:td: and in recognition, no introduction of a bonus weight allowance ala *G for Silver/Gold/Premier tiers doesn't make it any better.