Wiki Posts
Search

Gold - chosen seat but shifted on check in

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold
Gold - chosen seat but shifted on check in

I'm a long standing Gold - don't travel much on CE - but flew back from Helsinki last night.

I had, weeks ago, booked 3C. No change in aircraft - but when I checked in (70 minutes before the flight), I had been moved to 3E. Annoying to get a middle seat at the best of times, but worse last night on a 5 hr journey.

No aisle seats available.

Never had this before - and the person is 3C was not a Prem (I asked the purser). What happened and how do I put a stop to this!?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by jsincla
how do I put a stop to this!?
mmm...you might have a problem there!
You could try setting fire to the seat shifters department...
Old Dec 6, 2006, 11:41 am

I hate it when that happens. The last time I was moved, after OLCI, I wrote a letter to BA. Among other things, they insisted the middle seat in CE was no different from A or C. Right....

Hopefully the new seat policy will put an end to the seat shifters.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:30 pm

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
[QUOTE=Kibison;6803618]The last time I was moved, after OLCI, I wrote a letter to BA. Among other things, they insisted the middle seat in CE was no different from A or C. Right....
QUOTE]

I was at a party last year and met a girl who worked at BA and was in the department resposible for the CE product. She was very proud of it. I certainly did not mean to be rude, but said that it was good as long as I was on the left hand side, and she seemed quite crest-fallen that I made the distinction.

Is it possible that we are all weird in here with our AC preference, and that normal people really can't tell the difference? She insisted: "... but the seats on the right are wider too". I didn't push the point.

James
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by James S
I was at a party last year and met a girl who worked at BA and was in the department resposible for the CE product. She was very proud of it. I certainly did not mean to be rude, but said that it was good as long as I was on the left hand side, and she seemed quite crest-fallen that I made the distinction.
Hmmm...maybe suggest she fliy from DME in the 'E' seat on a fully packed A320 on a Friday night.

She might just go back to the drawing board...
Old Dec 6, 2006, 2:50 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Preferences?

From what I know of this board and some of its members, then some are distinctly left handed (AC) whilst others are Aisle only (DC). Therefore, we have a whole variety of AC and DC preferences here. For those that want a view from an Airbus, are the seats really worth sweet FA
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
Possibly because the other guy was travelling with someone else?
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:20 pm
Suspended

the seat shifters tried to get me for my sat flight ist-lhr, but having noticed that they took me from my beloved 1A on the A320 to 2A, i changed it back and it seems to be sticking. I thought it was strange they would shift me and then leave my old seat empty. Another mystery about what motivates a seat shifter
Old Dec 6, 2006, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Another mystery about what motivates a seat shifter
I think they're CyberMen trying to destroy the human race.
Old Dec 6, 2006, 4:40 pm
FF

Programs: BA GGL / AAdvantage Million Miler + Plat / TK Gold (not any more) / Hilton Diamond (via GGL)
Originally Posted by jsincla
I'm a long standing Gold - don't travel much on CE - but flew back from Helsinki last night.

I had, weeks ago, booked 3C. No change in aircraft - but when I checked in (70 minutes before the flight), I had been moved to 3E. Annoying to get a middle seat at the best of times, but worse last night on a 5 hr journey.

No aisle seats available.

Never had this before - and the person is 3C was not a Prem (I asked the purser). What happened and how do I put a stop to this!?
Two of us in 1A/1K to BOM and same back from DEL. That's fine - then they mive us to 5F/5K on the outbound and 2K/3K inbound. Really wierd!

Manages to get changed back to 1A/1K for the BOM flight but still no idea why they did it. On both flights 1K was assigned to someone else and 1A wasn't......
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:20 am

I don't know if this has been asked yet, so I'll tack it in here. With the new seat policy, are the premium seats such as 1A/K, 62,64A/K, 28B/J still blocked until OLCI or do golds/silvers/the other people given the ability to select seats at booking have the ability to select these seats?
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by terpfan101
I don't know if this has been asked yet, so I'll tack it in here. With the new seat policy, are the premium seats such as 1A/K, 62,64A/K, 28B/J still blocked until OLCI or do golds/silvers/the other people given the ability to select seats at booking have the ability to select these seats?
1A/K are available to Golds for pre-selection (but not anyone else travelling with them).

62 AK - still held back until OLCI (as are 63 BJ)

62 BJ - available to Golds and Silvers

63 AK, 64 AJk - also available to Golds and Silvers
Old Dec 7, 2006, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by terpfan101
On CE it seems 1A/C, etc available now on MMB, before it would not be open (well for me anyway).
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Happened to me this morning on the 219 to DEN.
Gold, booked in 4A (its usually a 3 class 777 to DEN with only J, Y+ and Y). I specifcally chose 4A as door 2L is the usual off load point and I have a tight connection in DEN. Also it is the best seat (IMHO) in terms of no one to climb over and no one climbs over you to get out.

OLCI'd yesterday all fine, kept 4A and PMOBPd.

Got to the airport this morning, - you have been moved sir. 14A for you.
When asked why, "the IFE is broken in 4A". Ok that's fine with me I dont use the IFE as I'm going to be working please move me back - I know you will need to call close outs as you cant make seat changes any more. "Oh sorry, no, actually that section has been closed as its a 4 class so you cant be moved".

Cant really complain about the seating policy on this one as it is effectively an aircraft configuration change, but, please dont lie to me at check-in...
Actually the agent was very pleasant in the end and kindly through checked bags onto a United flight! So thanks to him (didnt get name) I may be able to save a few minutes at the bag drop post customs.

Irritated at seat change, happy with process.

Time for a bacon buttie....
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:59 am
awm

Programs: BA Gold for life
It's just happened to me as well. I have three CE bookings (Gold) and on all three they've either shifted me or, where I'm travelling with someone else (same PNR), split us up.

Never happened to me before, maybe I've been lucky. But is this the result of the new seating policy?? And what on earth are they doing splitting us up? We were in 3A and C now we're in 3A and E.

I though this new policy was supposed to make things easier not harder...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.