Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Current photo-id requirements on UK domestic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA

Quick question all, haven't been on BA domestic out of Heathrow since the latest security hoo-hah since when things may have changed.

Sudden need to do a day return LHR-Aberdeen next Monday 4 Dec. Also need to put my passport in for visas, it would have gone this morning, otherwise can't get it back in time before next international trip next Thursday, and visa getting will be delayed for a few weeks.

Driving licence is still the old-style non photo type.

Can I still do BA domestic without photo id at all ?

Company travel agent says photo id required, as indeed they have done for years on BA domestic when they were not required. Travel agent rep I asked was useless (but would do well in auditions for Little Britain)
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Last UK Dom I did at LHR, no ID at all. SSCI/PYOBP and that was that. Only human contact at lounge (no ID) and boarding (no ID check).
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
LHR - EDI - LGW last Monday: no photo ID required
Old Dec 1, 2006, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Don't worry - never need photo ID on BA (or BD for that matter) - it's just the locos that need it.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
You sometimes get asked for ID when checking in luggage.

I've printed off the advice on ba.com questions and it lists driving licence, passport or BA Executive Card. This latter was important to me as a very unpleasant member of the LGW team* insisted the BA card meant nothing and it had to be a photo-ID hence I keep the printed sheet with me.

Specific text reads:

We do not require to see a passport or photo identification if you are travelling on purely UK domestic flights (i.e. with no onwards international flights).
If you are travelling on an e-ticket, you will need to have the credit/debit card originally used to pay for the booking. This is for identification purposes only and you will not be charged again.

Travel agents' system seem to print all sorts of irrelevant and incorrect rubbish!

(*I should add, the individual at LGW is very exceptional; they are a fantastic bunch there normally)
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Thanks all - as I suspected. Passport just disappeared on a bike to the visa service.

Thought I would check because at Luton recently I found they had started checking photo-IDs not just at check-in or gate but also at the security point for all flights, like in the US.

Travel Agents Our company travel agent regularly tells me the latest check in time for the morning Scot Airways flight from London City to Edinburgh is actually before the terminal building opens !
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:13 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by pennineuk
Specific text reads:

We do not require to see a passport or photo identification if you are travelling on purely UK domestic flights (i.e. with no onwards international flights).
If you are travelling on an e-ticket, you will need to have the credit/debit card originally used to pay for the booking. This is for identification purposes only and you will not be charged again.
I would be surprised if BA were able to insist on photo-ID. In the UK there is no obligation to have one, and if for example you happen not to have a driving licence and don't have a passport, you quite legitimately may not be able to produce one.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:21 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BAAZ
I would be surprised if BA were able to insist on photo-ID. In the UK there is no obligation to have one, and if for example you happen not to have a driving licence and don't have a passport, you quite legitimately may not be able to produce one.
Of course (all theoretical) the fact that you are not forced to have any photo ID by law does not automatically make it impossible for e.g. BA to require one. If they choose to do so you cannot fly on domestic flights without...

In the Netherlands the government passed some legislation a few years ago which effectively forced all people living in the Netherlands to have a photo ID. I assume there were people that did not have a Dutch driving license, nor a passport or EU ID card, which were then forced to get one of those.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by WHBM
Thanks all - as I suspected. Passport just disappeared on a bike to the visa service.
That's one enterprising, energetic and "green" passport More bionic than biometric!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,
Having SSCI'd at LHR T1 dom for LHR-EDI and taken my bag to the fast bag drop ( after the London Do) I was asked by the agent for ID.

Fortunately I just showed my BA Gold card and that was it ( as I did not have my passport with me! )

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 1, 2006, 4:57 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I agree with the earlier post re no photo ID required on internals (also BD). I domestic commute weekly and have not shown a photo ID anywhere since the August LHR scare (- when I was returning from Middle East and staying in LHR hotel overnight...woke up to mayhem - but another story .)

Have not been asked for anything since then. with BD online check-in and printing boarding card that has done it. I still feel wary though, and always keep my driving licence (with euro style photo ID) in my hand luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.