Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: Good news for most of you guys, but I'm frustrated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Good news for most of you guys, but I'm frustrated

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:34 am

Really not impressed by the nosediving that the dollar is doing. New job is in HK and HK$ is linked to US$, meaning my wage compared to the £ has dropped by a few 2k over the last few weeks.

Not impressed at all.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:45 am
Original Poster

theworld thats a bummer. Hopefully it settles back down...but it'll be a little while of hard times

And regarding that 2 quid for a beer, I definitely wasn't talking about London, where I likely will not be doing any heavy drinking in light of this. More of when up north and in Scotland at student nights with some of my friends.

I've come to terms though and am just gonna let my attitude regarding this trip be, "screw it you only live once!" Hopefully not going broke in the process
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by terpfan101

And regarding that 2 quid for a beer, I definitely wasn't talking about London, where I likely will not be doing any heavy drinking in light of this. More of when up north and in Scotland at student nights with some of my friends.
You could always get the evening off to a good start in your hotel room with a bottle of white lightening or something similar...
Old Dec 1, 2006, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC, HH
I have to admit that I'm enjoying the dollar's low against the pound because I've still got US student loans & it's helping me pay them off faster. I'll be happy to be debt-free a bit sooner!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 6:00 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by DTKWIA
Miller AleHouse ...5 Miller Lites for $5.99...
We were talking about beer in this thread
Old Dec 1, 2006, 7:51 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Well here I sit by the pool using WiFi this morning with a certain smile on my face knowing that come this evening as I put on my 12yo nephew's t-shirt before hitting the bars of Duval St, it's going to cost me so much less than a night out in London

Last edited by VC10 Boy; Dec 1, 2006 at 7:52 am Reason: missing apostrophe, possesive, didn't want to come across as some common tart
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
You could always get the evening off to a good start in your hotel room with a bottle of white lightening or something similar...
Now that's just plain cruel .

Edited to add: Or this that just plain gruel, the future diet of Americans under the **** Peso?
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps we should start a thread on the London forum discussing ways for Americans to get drunk cheaply in London?

I read a brilliant feature in Time Out a couple of weeks ago on "beertails" - cocktails made with beer basically.

The tubo shandy, whilst probably costing around £4 (if you can get a barman to pour you one that is) did sound as if it would get you pretty ratted pretty darn quickly!

Also, our US cousins should bear in mind that at most proper watering holes (i.e. not the poncey ones), tax and service is already included
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card

I read a brilliant feature in Time Out a couple of weeks ago on "beertails" - cocktails made with beer basically.
Diesel Red Witch

Half a lager
Half a cider
Blackcurrent cordial
Pernod
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:40 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Glasshouse Stores on Brewer St... very cheap beer. We almost didn't make the do minimum spend it was sooo cheap
I know that pub... Very traditional place, isn't it? They do an amazingly huge fish and chips in the cellar bar most evenings, when it's not hired out for private parties. And dead cheap.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:42 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Diesel Red Witch

Half a lager
Half a cider
Blackcurrent cordial
Pernod
Oh dear. Surely life's too short for that.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Turbo shandy:

Half a pint of stella in a pint glass

Top off with a bottle of Smirnoff ice
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:02 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
I'm looking on the bright side. A weak dollar is good for business (for those of us with mostly dollar costs, that is) and the more dollars I make, the more I'll have when a responsible President gets into power and the rate swings back the other way...
Old Dec 1, 2006, 10:04 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Diesel Red Witch

Half a lager
Half a cider
Blackcurrent cordial
Pernod
Turbo shandy:

Half a pint of stella in a pint glass

Top off with a bottle of Smirnoff ice
I feel some experimenting coming on this weekend!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
Last edited by VC10 Boy : Today at 9:52 am. Reason: missing apostrophe, possesive, didn't want to come across as some common tart

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.