Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How BA comped me a Silver Card – and how LH enhances the BA FRA – LHR experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How BA comped me a Silver Card – and how LH enhances the BA FRA – LHR experience

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH, BA, DL

As a result of my modest bragging about having been comped a Silver card by BA recently, I’ve been asked (here and in the BA forum) to provide details. Understandable requests as BA is not exactly known for comping individuals – and nobody was more surprised than I was when they did. Okay, here goes:

I discovered at some point in late August that BA is a lot cheaper than LH when it comes to flying FRA – LHR. It actually doesn’t matter whether the flight is ex FRA or ex LHR – BA will almost always be cheaper by a considerable amount unless one can afford to book weeks in advance to take advantage of very cheap LH economy fares. As I was initially wary of flying BA in Y without status (no reason to be – more on that later), I started out flying them on their deeply discounted business class fare which books into the “I” bucket - € 270,- return but no flexibility (take it or leave it – if you do the latter, you get approx. € 80 worth of taxes back). I later discovered that they also do excellent one-ways in Y both ex FRA and ex LHR.

I called the BAEC line in Germany in mid-October and asked them to consider comping me a Silver Card. By that time, I had booked three I-Class tickets, one of which I had travelled (80 Tier points), one of which I could not use (getting BA € 190 for nothing and me no points) and one of which I was going to use shortly. I had a nice chat with the BA CSR, pointing out that I would fly 1 – 2 flights FRA – LHR on average monthly in the near future, that I would get Silver in due course in any event, but that it would be very nice to receive it earlier, primarily because of priority check-in at LHR when flying Y. The CSR was pessimistic that BA would do anything to accommodate me, but asked me to fax her my current M&M statement nevertheless, which I did, together with a letter summarizing our discussion, my travel pattern, etc. I heard nothing from BA for about six weeks, then I received an e-mail confirming my new Silver status. By that time, I had actually flown BA quite a lot, including on fares which generated no Tier points (and including at least once on a fare which was originally rather cheap but which I subsequently had to change to a pretty expensive one), and my Tier point balance was at 280 (which were duly reset to zero). I believe BA have probably been looking at my travel pattern and decided my story was credible and that comping me would cost them very little but have a considerable impact on my loyalty (which it will).

As I stated in another recent thread, the overall flight experience on the particular route FRA – LHR is much better when flying BA. Ex FRA, there are virtually no queues for BA’s secondary screening. Ex LHR, T1 priority security check in Zone R is much nicer than the horrible T2 experience, and BA’s Terraces lounge is superior to LH’s SEN lounge (and even relatively quiet if you’re using the Mezzanine level). Seat selection on the BA website is also more efficient than having to call LH for the seat you want.

Here is some advice on how LH SENs can improve their travel experience on BA even further – most of this will only work if you travel with carry-on luggage only, though: Ex FRA, I’ve now taken to parking and passing security in the B area of T1. Somewhat to my surprise, security personnel will allow you to pass security there if you present your self-printed BA boarding pass. They will also allow you to use the priority line if you show your LH SEN card (this part should also work with an FTL card). T2 security is hit or miss IME – if there are no queues, it is very fast, if there are queues, there is no (enforced) concept of priority, plus you have to queue twice (emigration and security). Since T1 area B has eye-scanning facilities, emigration queues are not an issue. Having passed T1 security, it is a very small detour only to the SEN lounge to stack up on newspapers/magazines, latte, etc. Then a quick walk (2 – 3 mins) to the SkyLine, short trip to T2, and you exit the SkyLine past the T2 security check.

At LHR, it’s actually possible to use the LH SEN lounge as an arrivals lounge (technically, that might require a same day return BP although I don’t recall that the Connection Centre checked this). Upon your arrival at T1, go to the Connection Centre, pass security there, walk up to T2 and enter the SEN lounge, waiving your SEN card. Getting out of T2 is a bit tricky – I walked towards the gates and asked the first security staff I saw to let me pass through into the “inbound” part, explaining that I had spent some time in the LH lounge. No problem. Likewise, if you’re flying BA ex LHR from T1 and are not entitled to use their lounge, you can easily walk to T2 without any additional controls/security checks and use the LH lounge. The only downside is that no T1 flight information is available in T2, so you need to use your PC (and the free Iberia WLAN).

Finally, as was recently pointed out in the BA forum (but there are mixed feelings over there as to whether this is good etiquette), you can actually use T1 Zone R when travelling BA in Y without status if you have printed your own BP and don’t have to check luggage – just walk straight to the security queue (nobody will check whether you’re entitled to do this), and at the head of the queue, the staff there (BAA, not BA) will only check your BP for authenticity, not for entitlement to use Zone R.

I hope this collection of information is helpful.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by LH_Fan
Finally, as was recently pointed out in the BA forum (but there are mixed feelings over there as to whether this is good etiquette), you can actually use T1 Zone R when travelling BA in Y without status if you have printed your own BP and don’t have to check luggage – just walk straight to the security queue (nobody will check whether you’re entitled to do this), and at the head of the queue, the staff there (BAA, not BA) will only check your BP for authenticity, not for entitlement to use Zone R.
Excellent LH_Fan, why don't you just point this out to everyone, so that anyone here traveling with BA who are not entitled to use zone R, use it anyway, and therefore make the queues longer, and the whole point of Zone R goes down the drain.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 5:19 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by clubman
Excellent LH_Fan, why don't you just point this out to everyone, so that anyone here traveling with BA who are not entitled to use zone R, use it anyway, and therefore make the queues longer, and the whole point of Zone R goes down the drain.

LH_Fan is a litttle misleading: a no-status friend of mine was waiting for me in Zone R while I went to the toilet before security. Someone asked if he was OK, looked at his BP and wanted to send him back to the main departures hall, except that I came out of the loo at that point and claimed him.

OK, he was a loitering scruffy Brazilian student; I imagine a suit striding through would be less likely to be stopped.

James
Old Nov 28, 2006, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
...I discovered at some point in late August that BA is a lot cheaper than LH when it comes to flying FRA – LHR...
You will also find that BA is also a lot cheaper on long haul business class ex-Germany compared to LH ex-FRA...and BA has had a better seat for years now.

Welcome to the Dark Side !
Old Nov 28, 2006, 5:49 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Very useful. I guess. For all the inveterate who still travel through/to/from LHR and avowed BA_Fans alike.

Fortunately for me, I'm not obliged to do so. I made BA G last year solely on JFK-LHR trips, and I don't think I've ever made any use of it. But that's me.

Have fun!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 6:18 am

relax, will ya... the percentage of BA flying people here that didnt know about this is probably very slim... besides, this community is about sharing info isnt it?!
Old Nov 28, 2006, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by sentom
relax, will ya... the percentage of BA flying people here that didnt know about this is probably very slim... besides, this community is about sharing info isnt it?!
Fair enough.
Maybe I did get a little bit carried away...
However, I do think we need to be careful when sharing this kind of info.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 6:38 am

However, I do think we need to be careful when sharing this kind of info.
i agree with you there, but the main reason for that is not FT's cloaking up secret lines, but airlines closing loopholes for everyone...
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
This seems better placed in BA forum, so moving there.

Kiwi Flyer
LH moderator
Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:22 pm

good to see BA do this for you. It's a sound business decision that won't cost very much and as you said and they probably realized for themselves that it'd increase your loyalty to them. ^

Now if only they didn't make stupid decisions ala their new seating policy.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
BA comps status more often than many realize.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.