Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Miles For Upgrade Denied Despite Availability Is this Fair ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2006, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

After failing to find an award ticket that I wanted the reservations
clerk suggested that I could buy a Club World ticket and at least
MFU one leg of it for 20k miles. He gave me a price for the flights and Dates I wanted which was exactly the £15 booking fee more than the website was showing for the Club World (Lowest ) fare quote. I wasn't quite ready to book
so thanked him very much for his help and hung up. Later when other arrangements had been made I went on line to book the flights the reservation agent had suggested. Availability of MFU was still showing for the
outbound leg but as there was no MFU availability on Inbound I could not use the Buy and Upgrade link. I therefore just changed to the Book with Money
and completed the booking normally. I then called BA reservations to request the MFU from Club World to FIRST on outboard leg (which still showed availability) but was told by the reservation agent that the fare class I had booked was not upgradeable.

Now I am aware in the past that there have been some discounted fares that have been non upgradeable but as far as I am aware any ClubWorld flight is eligible for MFU if MFU seats are available.
The agent informed me that in order to be eligible for an upgrade the fare for that sector would have been about £300 more but on the website all that was offered was either the Club Lowest or Club flexible and the difference between the two fares was about £900 for the outward leg in question and in any case I thought the whole point about lowest and flexible was the fact that the Lowest price tickets are non changeable and non refundable and that is what warrants the lower prices. I then out of curiosity went back into the Book and Upgrade site and used the same outward flight date and coupled that with a different inbound date that showed available. The outward fare cost was exactly the same as I had paid and the inbound flight was actually cheaper. Why should the ticket bought in the book with money site not be ugradeable whereas the same flight at the same price is upgradeable if done through the buy and upgrade link ? I really thought that any WT+ or Club World fare could be used for MFU if MFU availability was there. Maybe I should have paid the booking fee for an agent to do it as the only impetus was for the treat of the FIRST MFU and I could have taken a more convenient Emirates flight at a very similar price. I explained all this to an agent and even suggested that as the online booking had been made only 10 minutes earlier he could cancel it for me but was told that as I had accepted the T&C and it was a non changeable and non refundable fare there was nothing he could do.

According to the BA website MFU are ok on Eligible fare classes : First, Club World, Club Europe and World Traveller Plus, excluding corporate contracted discounted fares, plus full fare and semi flexible economy classes (Y, B and H, plus UK Domestic C class).. This was an ordinary Club World lowest fare booked on the website and not as far as I am concerned a corporate contracted discounted fare which surely means a special fare for large corporate customers ? Anyone got any ideas if I am being given the run around or is there something somewhere else hidden in extremely small print that I have missed ? I feel really disappointed especially as I can still see availability in the Buy and Upgrade link at the same price. Anyone have any names numbers of someone with discretion to sort out these anomalies which surely must be due to a glitch in the BA website ?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA
Sounds very odd indeed. Call back and try again with a different agent. If you get the same problem, ask the agent what booking code your booking is in, and report back to us on FT for further analysis....
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:08 pm

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Sounds like a classic case of bull5hit from an telesales rep who either (a) could not be bothered or (b) does not fully understand the process.

As suggested I would call again and hopefully you will get another rep. If you get the same answer ask to speak to a manager.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:29 pm

some agents are just lazy and don't care about helping you. I was fortunate enough to have one helpful lady authorize a full refund for a flight I booked two hours earlier only to realize I didn't get the sale price because I didn't do discounted and instead upgraded at the "do you want to upgrade your fare" option. This guy should have done that for you.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:40 am
Original Poster

I have a feeling the agent said it was I class and therefore not upgradeable.

It was certainly not a discounted ticket with the red D and I have always been under the impression that any ticket sold directly by BA in ClubWorld
could be upgraded to FIRST with miles if upgrades were shown as available. Same applying for upgrades to Club from WT+.

Will get on to them when they open and see if my luck will change.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:17 am

Programs: BA SILVER thanks to flyertalk :)
Originally Posted by Clarke38
I have a feeling the agent said it was I class and therefore not upgradeable.

It was certainly not a discounted ticket with the red D and I have always been under the impression that any ticket sold directly by BA in ClubWorld
could be upgraded to FIRST with miles if upgrades were shown as available. Same applying for upgrades to Club from WT+.

Will get on to them when they open and see if my luck will change.
They open at 6am every day but I personally would be quite interested in what they say in servicing as far as I know any I class is upgradeable but saying that I don’t normally deal with bookings after they are ticketed so therefore not 100% sure whether it can be upgraded after booking as the fare rules are non changeable non refundable. Saying that if you still get stuck drop me a pm and I will take it up when I go to work at 12pm

thanks ali_c
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by ali_c

if you still get stuck drop me a pm and I will take it up when I go to work at 12pm
That is really decent of you. ^

12pm - that's 1200hrs, right?
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:36 am

Programs: BA SILVER thanks to flyertalk :)
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

12pm - that's 1200hrs, right?

yes

dont think I would be there at midnight
Old Nov 25, 2006, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Agreed! Hopefully the OP can sort it out by themselves, but if not... ali_c, you are a star for offering ^

Boo
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:18 am
Original Poster

I spoke with reservations in Newcastle and first asked the reservation agent to quote me a MFU from Club fare on exactly the same days and flights I booked. She did and it came out at exactly the same price as I had paid (plus booking fee). I then explained to her my problem and gave her the booking reference and she checked and said it was upgradeable and transferred me to someone else to get it done. I was asked who had denied it and when I said someone in Manchester I was told to always speak to someone in Newcastle. Not really sure why if everyone works for the same company and
presumably calls get moved around depending on volumes at any one centre.

Anyway there now seemed no problem so was very happy. I then though received an Email from the supervisor in Manchester who yesterday denied the upgrade and he said that he had spoken with one of the girls who had earlier told me the tickets were upgradeable and therefore because I had been told that was going to authorise the upgrade.

I then spoke with him and he still maintains that they are operating under the belief that my fare is not upgradeable. It all seems extremely strange but he said he was going to fully investigate with the Executive Club and would let me know the outcome on Monday because there had been or would be similar instances (not sure which he said)

I am obviously happy that I got the upgrades eventually but frankly the hassle and angst caused does make one wonder about BA's attitude to passengers/PR/clarity of terms and the total refusal to cancel what may or may not have been an erroneous booking within just ten minutes of it being made is another great worry. Type in a wrong date and you might have thousands of pounds worth of a non refundable ticket due to a genuine error but hey you signed the terms and conditions so tough !

If I get a proper reply from the Manchester Supervisor I will post it.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:23 am

All's well that ends well!
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
I spoke with reservations in Newcastle and first asked the reservation agent to quote me a MFU from Club fare on exactly the same days and flights I booked. She did and it came out at exactly the same price as I had paid (plus booking fee). I then explained to her my problem and gave her the booking reference and she checked and said it was upgradeable and transferred me to someone else to get it done. I was asked who had denied it and when I said someone in Manchester I was told to always speak to someone in Newcastle. Not really sure why if everyone works for the same company and
presumably calls get moved around depending on volumes at any one centre.
I'm a bit puzzled that you state that you've talked to someone in Newcastle in BA reservations. Why didn't you try to do the MFU by calling BAEC? Actually I thought only BAEC would be able to apply the MFU to an existing booking.

And any I fare (except the sales offers with T&Cs telling otherwise) should be upgradable to F, if bought directly from BA. The 'non-upgradable' condition in the fare rules is about paid upgrades, not MFUs.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:18 am
Original Poster

I called the BAEC silver number 0870 850 5 850 and then just followed the menu prompt to book and use miles or similar and got NEWCASTLE when the time for the call about the MFU someone on that number transferred me to customer services. Never really crossed my mind that it would not be BAEC with the number taken from back of my card and using miles ?
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
I called the BAEC silver number 0870 850 5 850 and then just followed the menu prompt to book and use miles or similar and got NEWCASTLE when the time for the call about the MFU someone on that number transferred me to customer services. Never really crossed my mind that it would not be BAEC with the number taken from back of my card and using miles ?
Ok, I was expecting that you would end up with a BAEC call centre when doing that... Sorry, because you stated you were calling with BA reservations I was thinking you did call BA reservations directly, not BAEC. So apparently BA has things organised different than e.g. AF/KLM FB.

BTW: publishing non-public elite telephone numbers is not recommended at FT.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by frankvb
BTW: publishing non-public elite telephone numbers is not recommended at FT.
Not entirely sure it matters as much these days, given that the gold number was published in The Times and is also readily available on saynoto0870.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.