Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Credit card used for payment needed for checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold

My dad is going to be flying BA LHR-ORD in J on Monday, but on the ticket receipt it states that he needs the credit card used for payment (which happens to be here in IND) because he bought the tickets directly from BA.com in order to checkin.
Neither of us normally fly BA across the pond, so I don't know whether this is just something to be ignored or whether its an actual requirement, seeing as I've never needed to present the credit card used for payment before.
Or should I just get the card sent back as a precuation anyway?
Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jim739
My dad is going to be flying BA LHR-ORD in J on Monday, but on the ticket receipt it states that he needs the credit card used for payment (which happens to be here in IND) because he bought the tickets directly from BA.com in order to checkin.
Neither of us normally fly BA across the pond, so I don't know whether this is just something to be ignored or whether its an actual requirement, seeing as I've never needed to present the credit card used for payment before.
Or should I just get the card sent back as a precuation anyway?
Thanks for any advice.
He'll be fine.

Have had similar occur, the check-in agent may huff and puff, make a quick phone call and ask to see another credit card.

Never been a problem for me in the past.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by latitude
He'll be fine.

Have had similar occur, the check-in agent may huff and puff, make a quick phone call and ask to see another credit card.

Never been a problem for me in the past.
Thanks, thats all I needed to hear
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:50 am

Worst case situation he may have to go via the ticket desk before checking in and swap the credit card in the booking with another one. I have never been asked for my credit card when checking in... but that may be due to my BAEC being tagged to the booking?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:56 am

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
I suspect he will be fine, although credit card checks do appear to be more rigorous now than they were a few years ago.

I don't think there have ever been any reports here of pax being denied boarding, due to lack of the booking credit card, but I maybe wrong.

How about a call to BA in the US explain the situation and they will put a note on the passenger record.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 8:01 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
With BA I have never had a problem. A party of six went down to AGP and all were booked on my card. We all checked in separately and none of us were ever asked for the card. I've been asked for it a few times and handed it over but we're talking about one in every five trips. It's just to verify that I'm not mis using someones card.

With SG though it's a different position entirely. The agent needs the last four digits of the credit card to upload the ticket. In Perth I hadn't got the card with me, but found the full card number in my PDA and gave her the last four numbers. The ticket uploaded and off I went.

With a friend in Bali they had had their card stolen after buying the ticket, a new one was issued, but the number had changed. Someone back home found an old statement and we gave them the number. It uploaded the ticket but they still wouldn't accept it. We had to have a fax from the bank confirming the lost card and the number. Here we were, at the airport, we gave them four numbers, they worked the first time, what were the chances we were not the genuine passenger.

With BA a letter from the cardholder would be enough to cover you in my opinion.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll send the card back just not to risk it, should get there in time.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Only time I've been asked for it when checking in at a desk was when making a very short notice booking (about 5hrs before scheduled departure time) I guess in that case it could have been used fraudulently...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.