Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Report your new hand luggage experience here!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report your new hand luggage experience here!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by bealine

Hi Bea - thanks for the info; the links you posted aren't working correctly though

BAH
Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
Hi Bea - thanks for the info; the links you posted aren't working correctly though
Given they were internal BA documents not intended for publication outside the company, I would assume that they have been removed. They were certainly working when originally posted.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by PhilH
Given they were internal BA documents not intended for publication outside the company, I would assume that they have been removed. They were certainly working when originally posted.
Try these links instead...

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic....dBaggage1s.jpg

http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic....dBaggage2s.jpg
Old Aug 2, 2006, 6:33 am
Suspended

Did an I Class CE exLHR return to Dusseldorf this weekend - measured my usual small rollaboard which does not quite fit into the frame because of wheels, but rolled it aboard no problem and my rucksack and laptop too.

So all seems OK for now on this route.....
Old Aug 2, 2006, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Departed LHR this morning to MXP from T1. There was a BA lady in what could only be described as a raspberry - coloured BA hat (like a British Paratrooper beret colour) - never seen that before.

She was ensuring the every passenger's hand luggage was going into the gauge unless obviously small enough. Anything outside of the size was being checked into the hold.

I asked her about buggies - High Life in July said the folding "umbrella" ones would be accepted on all flights. The lady checking bags said that she believed that folding buggies will normally be OK on long haul as now but on domestic or shorthaul if the flight was busy then they would still need to be checked - in reality no policy change (despite the blanket acceptance promised by High Life)

No handbaggage checking this evening on the return from MXP..
Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Departed LHR this morning to MXP from T1. There was a BA lady in what could only be described as a raspberry - coloured BA hat (like a British Paratrooper beret colour) - never seen that before.

She was ensuring the every passenger's hand luggage was going into the gauge unless obviously small enough. Anything outside of the size was being checked into the hold.
She is a dispatcher, otherwise known as a redcap. They are basically the senior staff member who co-ordinates the aircraft turnaround. You wont see them that often becasue they are usually busy dealing with the figures etc for the flight deck.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold
Tumi 20" expandable

A proud owner of the 22" model which is now redundant.

Does anyone have any experience of the 20" expandable. It appears to be 22" long and 10" deep in reality including wheels but has anyone tried to slot it in?

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:31 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Have you tried Rimowa?

I have a "Salsa IATA cabin trolley" (see http://www.rimowa.de/index_int.asp?spr=Englisch ). It is 55 x 40 x 20cm so actually smaller than the BA max of 56 x 45 x 25cm. (I do need to doublecheck the 55 in the gauges, but the handles and wheels hardly stick out and it's narrower than the max so shouldn't be caught by the rounded gauge corners.)

Although it's pretty much indestructible, the polycarbonate which it's made from is so thin that it is almost Tardis-like inside (35 litres apparently) and I suspect the 20cm stretches nearer to 25cm anyway when it's really full. And it's much lighter than any other carryon I've had, except possibly my old Globetrotter which I bought before BA was privatised and which used to have a sticker "approved by BA for underseat stowage". (Come to think of it I might try carrying that one as my second piece of hand luggage and see what happens...)
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Yesterday at BOS I saw one of the check-in agents ask the guy to see his carryon. He had a Tumi 22" G4 carryon (I know because I have the same one). They said no problem to him. I know for a fact that it won't fit into those sizing bins. I measured it before this trip and decided not to bring it.

Then today at LHR they asked me to put my 20" bag in for measuring. This was at the jetbridge after they collected my boarding pass. I then heard the agent say to another agent so far they haven't had any problems with the new hand luggage restriction!!! Wonder where she's been working that has been so easy??
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:44 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
This will go on your permanent record!

Well no problems on the 1st at LHR T1. Then again we were ok anyway.

However, managed to peek at the manifest (flight was heaving with golds, so no op-up for me). However for one pax (a gold card holder) they had this next to their name:

SFU - PAX REFUSED TO CHECK OVERSIDED HAND LUGGAGE.

Only quick glance, so maybe that was an NSFU (though I have been told they won't enter negative comments unless you are reallllllllly nasty to them).

So it looks like if you make a fuss, the GA's snitch on you to the crew.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:52 am

Week ago Friday leaving from BOM I had to argue about my small computer bag, that's has wheels. It was maybe 1/4 inch too thick as I it had my usual electronics gear, converters + change of clothes for London lay-over.

There was no way I would/ could've checked it and if they had insisted then I'd asked for my ticket to be refunded (flex CW) and taken some other flights. This bag fits even the smallest of overhead compartments in intra-European flights.

The issue was "resolved" with typical head shake as I wasn't budging.

In retrospect, I should have taken my money elsewhere as I flight was so delayed that I missed my connection to Boston.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 8:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by jsincla

Does anyone have any experience of the 20" expandable. It appears to be 22" long and 10" deep in reality including wheels but has anyone tried to slot it in?

Thanks
Depends which one - the previous model (more angular one) fits perfectly
Don't know about the new curvy design I'm afraid.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2 rather unpleasant BAA chappies at the entrance to T4 FastTrack this afternoon. Funnily there weren't checking BPs to see we has the FT sticker, only interested in the bags.

BAA Chappy: "I need to check your rollie, Sir" (pointing to gauge)
Smirnoff: "Go ahead, be my guest"
5 second pause (he said he needed to check, so let him check it)
BAA Chappy: "No, you have to put it in"

Smirnoff willingly obliges. Not a smile, or a thank you out of the BAA Chappy.

Nasty chappy. Couldn't have found anyone more unfriendly if they searched all of Hounslow.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:50 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by rfrost
If anyone is flying from JFK today or early tomorrow, please advise re carryon experience.
Guess I'll answer my own question: bins aplenty, but no one asked me to use one. I thought the gate agent eyeballed my brand new Tumi (which I'm hoping is going to make it into and out of the bin), but that was all. If it's not tested at T3 this week, I'll check at JFK after landing.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Tumi 20"

Originally Posted by jsincla

Thanks
It fits...but.....the problem is the width, not the length; expanded it wouldn't fit, but "normal" it does, just, although the front needs to be squashy. Tried it JER - LGW - BGI last week and return and no problems on any sector.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.