Wiki Posts
Search

"BA slashes fares"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2006, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
Are you fat ???? I guess that someone who really needs food and drink on an intra european flight must be 1 ) bloody hungry 2) a bloater who enjoys his food and thats why he is fat.
I may struggle with my weight sometimes, but I don't think I'm really fat.

So if I've got into the office at 8 am and have survived all day on only coffee until 5.30 pm, when I've dashed out of the office to get to LHR to get the last flight out to somewhere for a weekend trip, then I guess I must be in category 1 if I'd like to be fed during the 1½ hours of "dead time" in the air.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:00 pm

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by Steve Fenton
Are you fat ???? I guess that someone who really needs food and drink on an intra european flight must be 1 ) bloody hungry 2) a bloater who enjoys his food and thats why he is fat.
Isn't it conceivable that one could be on a two-hour flight at a meal-time and that's why some food would be welcome?

And do you really believe, as you imply , that only "bloaters" enjoy food? Let's try the flipside: "only people who are stupidly neurotic about food are thin". See how ridiculous that sounds?

Old Apr 23, 2006, 4:51 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Just to go back mid-topic - just read SC's weekly rant in the saturday edition of the Indy. It's about the BA 747 that had to make an emergency landing in Uralsk. Probably not the most obvious place to do that, but faced with the cargo hold fire warning, I guess the crew wanted to get that aircraft down asap.

Of course then the operation to get passenger, luggage, cargo, crew and aircraft back out again was cxomplicated, and probably expensive.

SC then uses that as the justification for the fuel surcharge BA has imposed:
With a palaver like that, no wonder BA has raised its fuel surcharge. Some good news: the faulty light has been fixed.

First of all it is ludicrous to suggest that (however we may despise fuel surcharges) - but I for am glad the BA crew chose to land somewhere as soon as possible, without regard for the salvage costs or consequences. If they hadn't done that, and the warning light had been for real......
Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
With a palaver like that, no wonder BA has raised its fuel surcharge. Some good news: the faulty light has been fixed.
That final comment is truly despicable. Its subtext is that BA avoidably wasted a lot of money and effort because of the diversion, and that as a result we are all paying for it. The man should really be taken outside and shot. Nobody, absolutely nobody should ever second-guess a flight crew's decision to get the aircraft down onto the ground fast in circumstances like that. Too many airliners and too many lives have been lost through in-flight fires; if a crew decides to take a warning seriously, they should be backed up every step of the way.

It adds to my long-held view that journalists ought to be made to take exams and hold a licence before being allowed to write about aviation. Unfortunately, I get the same view when I read journalists writing about my own field, and I have come to the conclusion that almost all of what passes for "meedja" is now only fit for the bin.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Silver SPG Plat
Hi all, have plucked up the courage to come out of lurking!!

Not one to resist the I class deals, I have now found myself in the unfortunate position to be unable to resist a ET deal!! Although BA are advertising flights to Europe from £29 one way, SVQ is pricing out as £49.50 return with availability at this price wide open during June. I managed to resist the club upgrade fare of £308.50

Does anyone know the policy re purchasing an empty seat? At this rate a flat bed in ET could become an option
Old Apr 23, 2006, 6:27 am

Programs: British Airways, Cathay Pacific
Welcome Cheese & Dessert - excellent name!
Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:31 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Just to go back mid-topic - just read SC's weekly rant in the saturday edition of the Indy. It's about the BA 747 that had to make an emergency landing in Uralsk. Probably not the most obvious place to do that, but faced with the cargo hold fire warning, I guess the crew wanted to get that aircraft down asap.

Of course then the operation to get passenger, luggage, cargo, crew and aircraft back out again was cxomplicated, and probably expensive.

First of all it is ludicrous to suggest that (however we may despise fuel surcharges) - but I for am glad the BA crew chose to land somewhere as soon as possible, without regard for the salvage costs or consequences. If they hadn't done that, and the warning light had been for real......
The whole tone of the article is completely off the mark. BA well choose to ignore it, but it deserves a robust response in the letters page of the Independent.

Originally Posted by Simon Calder
"...So they wanted to keep everyone on board until help arrived - in effect, a hijack without the hijackers"
I concur with Globaliser's sentiments entirely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.