Community
Wiki Posts
Search

transit visa on arrival at LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

transit visa on arrival at LHR?

We will have 24 - 48 hours in London on a trip from Toronto to Moscow.

My wife needs a visa for the UK, but we are afraid it will be impossible for her to get it before leaving.

A few years ago we were in a similar situation, overnighting in Amsterdam. I read on FT that it was possible to get a visa in AMS at the airport if you were staying less than 48 hours. (I think that was the rule but I dont remember it exactly-- so if somebody reads this and decides to depend on this information, be careful!) We called the Netherlands embassy in Moscow before leaving and they told us it is not possible, but the people at KLM told us it is possible. We decided to take the risk and in fact it turned out that it was possible to get a visa right in AMS airport.

So now we are in a similar situation and I wonder if anybody knows if there is anything similar for the UK-- the ability to get a visa on arrival in LHR if you have an onward ticket within X hour and can basically show that you are not a big risk. (My wife has been to the UK a few times and has two multi-entry UK visas in her passport already but they're both expired).

Thanks
Ron
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:52 pm

Programs: none yet :(
Hi, It would depend on what passports you are travelling on. Instead of maybe posting personal info like that, use the link below and click on "do i need a uk visa"

then enter the purpose of the visit (transit), your nationality and which country you are travelling from.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

she has a russian passport.
I already know she needs a visa. that is why I am asking.
she needed a visa for AMS too. we got it at the airport.
the question is if it is possible to do that at LHR too.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Well, according to the site mo_in_uk very helpfully posted for you, if transit is within 24hrs (you say 24-48 so it could be possible), she may tranist without visa at the discretion of the officer. Any longer than 24hrs is not really a transit I'd say, as you're entering and staying in the country. Also note from that site posted above for you to explore:

Originally Posted by UK Visa Site
Q: Where can I apply for a visa for the UK?
A: Applications for visit visas and EEA Family Permits for the UK can be made at any British mission overseas with a full service visa office. Other applications should be made at a UK visa office in your home country, or where you are normally and legally resident
The 'Missions overseas' part links to http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?...=1007029395231 which makes no mention of UK airports, so I think not (i.e. if it was possible, this would be listed/answered as a Q&A).

Originally Posted by lewinr
My wife needs a visa for the UK, but we are afraid it will be impossible for her to get it before leaving.
How come you left it so late, if she has previous visas and has been through the process before so knows how long it takes?

Phil
PS Do let us know if you use the Arrivals lounge
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:31 pm

UK in general is stricker than EU when it comes to visas. You do need to make sure and contact the local UK consulate; otherwise, the agent will deny boarding. Airlines get about $10,000 fine/pax for boarding pax without proper documents.

As other poster noted that transitting over 24 hrs period is considered as entering the country. You most than likely will have to leave the airport.

Countries like Japan DO offer transit visas that valid for 72 hrs. Again, contact the local embassy/consulate for firm answer or you'll be looking at cancelling your journey all together at the last minutes.

When I was a non-US citizen, I could just walk into the consulate (I usually used either Chicago or LA's office) to obtain my British Tourist-visa. Before you go to the consulate, do make sure you have the following:

* 2 pictures
* Bank statement
* Copy of trip itineraries (they will look at the return or continuing journeys from UK)
* Money order for the visa fee.

If you're returning to UK (even as a transit pax again) on the way back to N. America, you'll need a multiple entries Visa. It usually costs more than the single entry.

Visas usually issue the same day. So go to the embassy/consulate early. If I'm not mistaken, they last take the visa applications about 10.30 or 11am. You'll then be asked to return about 3pm to pick up the visa (considering it's approved).

Last edited by SeaMeFly; Apr 3, 2006 at 2:39 pm
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
she has a russian passport.
I already know she needs a visa. that is why I am asking.
she needed a visa for AMS too. we got it at the airport.
the question is if it is possible to do that at LHR too.
Not that I have ever heard of, nor that I can find any evidence of.

Getting an appointment for a non-settlement visa doesn't take very long in most stations. When are you actually travelling?
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:36 pm

I would not have thought so as transit visas tend to be 24 hours or less so she will need a visit visa. I am asking a friend of mine who will may know so will post again shortly.

If you are staying airside and won't be going through immigration, then you should be ok as no one will be the wiser.

However, if you are flying BA, they will check the visa requirements for your wife and if they know your onward ticket is more than 24 hours later they may not let her travel without getting a visa first. Try asking the BA office there (even if you are not travelling with them).

If my friend gets back to me tonight, I'll post again.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

the reason she will not have time to get a visa is because she is getting a new passport, and the russian passport issuing authority is taking a very long time deliver it. She will need US and Canadian visas for this trip as we are going there for a few weeks. So we are trying to plan for the situation where she gets her passport at the last minute and we need to get visas. If we don't need to get a UK visa in Moscow we will have more time/flexibility.

Since it appears possible to get a transit visa if we will be in the UK less than 24 hours, I may change our flights to achieve that (in the worst case)...

thanks everybody for your responses.

Ron
Old Apr 3, 2006, 2:51 pm

if her current passport is still valid, is it not worth getting the UK visa on it... that way you can travel with the new passport but show that you have the visa on your older passport.
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

not possible for a few reasons, the biggest one being that she had to hand in her old passport in order to apply for the new one...
Old Apr 3, 2006, 3:06 pm

yes, sorry. I should have realised that. I went through the same thing a few years ago - it was a nightmare
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:06 am

the reason she will not have time to get a visa is because she is getting a new passport, and the russian passport issuing authority is taking a very long time deliver it. She will need US and Canadian visas for this trip as we are going there for a few weeks. So we are trying to plan for the situation where she gets her passport at the last minute and we need to get visas. If we don't need to get a UK visa in Moscow we will have more time/flexibility.

Since it appears possible to get a transit visa if we will be in the UK less than 24 hours, I may change our flights to achieve that (in the worst case)...

thanks everybody for your responses.

Ron
Hi, Just to confirm that you will need a visa if you plan on transitting more than 24 hours.

If less than that, and you have confirmed onward tickets plus meet visa requirements for your onward destination, the immigration officer will give you a transit visa.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier... kinda slipped my mind.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
The OP is correct about the possibility of requiring a transit visa.

Originally Posted by http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/
You asked if a national of Russian Federation needs a visa to come to the UK in transit.

At the discretion of a UK Immigration Officer, you may transit without visa (TWOV), but only if:

* you will continue your onward journey from the United Kingdom by air within 24 hours, and
* you will hold a confirmed onward ticket, and
* you will have the necessary documents (passport, visa, etc. ) for the country to which you are travelling and any countries that you will pass through en route, or
* you will arrive on a cruise ship and intend to depart on the same ship within 24 hours.

If not, you need a Visitor in Transit or Visit visa.
For further information on UK Visa requirements, visit http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/ which is a website jointly run by the Home Office and Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.