Search

Voluntary downgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA , HH, PC RA
Voluntary downgrade

I have just returned from DXB.
I was checking in for the flight in NCW when the agent informed me that the flight was oversold in F,J and Y and would mrs swissytrader and myself be willing to be downgraded to WTP.
As it was the daytime flight I thought, well if the price is right then ok.
So I asked the agent how much compensation would be paid and she replied £200 each, non-negotiable.
I declined the offer, checked in and made my way to the lounge.

I considered £200 as not high enough.
What do you guy's think
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Club, Priority Club Club
And to go the other way at check in or onboard is £600 so we are led to believe - surely it should be the same both ways....
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
At first I thought this was another thread about the demise of OB

No way is £200 enough, they are taking the P*** big time. The new EU regulations require much higher compensation than this I thought. £200 doesnt even cover the price difference one way between W and J.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
However, you can be sure that there would be plenty of people travelling for work (on a ticket paid for by their employer) who would happily have taken the money!

But I agree - no way would I do this on a ticket paid for myself with cash or miles.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 2:58 am

Given that an involuntary downgrading would give rise to a payment under the EU regs:

Article 10

2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse
(a) 30 % of the price of the ticket for all flights of 1500 kilometres or less, or
(b) 50 % of the price of the ticket for all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres, except flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments, and for all other flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometres, or
(c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments.
Then £200 from DXB seems woefully inadequate.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:10 am

£200 a joke.
#
My brother Was offered ( cant remember exact amount) arond £1500 to downgrade CX J to Y.

Seems fair.

Asked on the board if he should inform his boss or not.

Receieved a a massive slagging off ( very rude) about ethics , theft etc etc from that guy over on the CX board he a few months lated had to shoot himself when he got caught with his hands im the till big time.

To Down Grade from NCW - WTP I would not even think about it for less than £ 500. Maybe lower if they offered cash & Miles .
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:13 am
Original Poster

I would have traded at £500
Perhaps I should have taken the £200 for mrs swissytrader and sent her down the back.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Was that £200 + the fare difference, surely not £200 on its own?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhilH
Was that £200 + the fare difference, surely not £200 on its own?
Just £200 in total
Tight b******s
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by swissytrader
Just £200 in total
Tight b******s
Wow. Trouble is, they probably got some volunteers at that level , so you can't blame them I guess. I guess if you're flying on business, are not particularly bothered about the dayflight back and can get £200 in your pocket there and then, that might appeal to many people.

Last edited by PhilH; Mar 30, 2006 at 5:00 am
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
I was offered £500 by Cathay for invol downgrade F to J from HKG to JNB. I put up a fuss and received an additional 90k Asia Miles (almost enough for a F return to USA!).

I thought that was a good deal!

£200 - that's pathetic.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
£200

Not too sure how BA worked out £200 - any of the grads on here want to work through the fare table and see if they can get it

Just a quick look gives
W2BA £1380
J2BA £2517

Or even of the one ways
WOW1 £1286
J1 £1668

from the following link

http://www.batraveltrade.com/cms/b2b...es/int0603.pdf

Swissy £200 might cover tonights bar bill but wouldn't get your a good solicitor
Old Mar 30, 2006, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by swissytrader
Just £200 in total
Tight b******s
Who in their right mind would agree to that??? (Unless you’re not paying for the ticket of course, as others mentioned here)

I assumed you would get back the difference in fare as well, basically there is no compensation here whatsoever, and actually what they are offering you leave you out of pocket
Strange…
Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Club, Priority Club Club
Originally Posted by The Saint
Given that an involuntary downgrading would give rise to a payment under the EU regs:

Then £200 from DXB seems woefully inadequate.
I thought the EU regs only applied to those flights intra-EU - in which case BA would probably have offered the "correct" downgrade - given this in extra-EU, I guess it is a case of opening the bidding low and then seeing where they end up. They can always go up in their bribe, but hard to go down...
Old Mar 30, 2006, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Red
When the offer was made to a colleague and I in DXB it was £200 each for us + my employer being able to claim for the difference in the ticket price. As it was a night flight I thought that the offer was far too low. I don't need the money that much and my employer certainly doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.