Wiki Posts
Search

Blair to set BA flight record

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2006, 12:35 pm
SK
Original Poster

Blair to set BA flight record

"U.K. Prime Minister Tony Blair will break an aviation record", according to a Bloomberg article:
"Blair will fly 12,000 miles to Melbourne from Brussels today on a plane chartered from British Airways Plc, a 19-hour journey that will be the airline's longest ever non-stop flight."
Old Mar 24, 2006, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by SK
Blair will fly 12,000 miles to Melbourne
Didn't he realise he could have just done a simple SNN-DUB to get his 12k miles?
Old Mar 24, 2006, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
And as it is a charter he'll get no miles
Old Mar 24, 2006, 1:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

There's a lot Tony could learn from on this board, and I'm not talking about just earning and spending BA Miles
Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
According to AFP, it's the same 777 that was modified for The Queen.

I don't know if it's been put back to the normal configuration, with Tony just slumming it in BA's F seat, but I assume so.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
I bet he doesn't end up with his plane being substituted with a EuroAtlantic Airways aircraft.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Mar 24, 2006 at 2:07 pm
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
According to a posting on kiddiesarguingaboutairbusandboeing.net the aircraft is G-YMMO, the same one the Queen chartered to Oz and since it's return it hasn't done any other flights. Looks like it could still have the Royal First cabin....
Old Mar 24, 2006, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Maybe they could send it to SYD and then I could hitch a ride back to LHR with our Dear Leader!
Old Mar 25, 2006, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
According to a posting on kiddiesarguingaboutairbusandboeing.net the aircraft is G-YMMO, the same one the Queen chartered to Oz and since it's return it hasn't done any other flights. Looks like it could still have the Royal First cabin....
Here she is.....

Originally Posted by ian001
According to AFP, it's the same 777 that was modified for The Queen.

I don't know if it's been put back to the normal configuration, with Tony just slumming it in BA's F seat, but I assume so.
If he doesn't get that then maybe he'll snag a bulkhead for himself.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 5:17 am

Surely it must cost an absolute fortune to charter it for this flight! Any guesses on what this would come to? Its really about time the UK had an Air Force One type jet that would ferry our leaders around.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:05 am

Say what you want about boeingarebetterthanairbus.net, but, as the link given by chatawy (and welcome to FT by the way) shows they've got some fantastic photo's.

And as to the UK having it's own 'Air Force One' - couldn't agree more. Surely the RAF could use a few A340-500 type things for general transport (we've got to show our EU credentials!), and stick a pod in it for TB to relax in a bit of style.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by ba bob
Surely it must cost an absolute fortune to charter it for this flight! Any guesses on what this would come to? Its really about time the UK had an Air Force One type jet that would ferry our leaders around.
The PM himself has, reportedly, been calling for a Blair Force One for ages but others in Government (do I hear dour Scottish tones?) have prevailed, saying that it is too expensive and sends out the wrong signals (particularly when HMG wouldn't pay for HM to have a new yacht!)
Old Mar 25, 2006, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by phillipas
Say what you want about boeingarebetterthanairbus.net, but, as the link given by chatawy (and welcome to FT by the way) shows they've got some fantastic photo's
Oh I'm not doubting that. The discussion forum has a bit to be desired though! (and I post there so I can slag it off )

PS. chatawy, did you take that photo? Looks like it is in the screening process....
Old Mar 25, 2006, 7:18 am
Suspended

Looks like it could still have the Royal First cabin....
Did anyone ever manage to get a look/describe this cabin layout?
Old Mar 25, 2006, 7:21 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by krug
Did anyone ever manage to get a look/describe this cabin layout?
There is a description here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539785

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.