Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Spottie hits 2000 posts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
OT: Spottie hits 2000 posts

Dear FTers,

Well, that is the 2000 posts mark hit.

Some memories from the last year and a bit:

Obviously, being introduced by JenBel to the FT concept and told to stick with it, was the start of it all.

I started off with a mixture of BA and 1W but spend most of my time on BA with a few flits "home" to QF and I will return to 1W at full steam shortly.

Then I went to my first mini DO/sawn-off Do, doette or whatever. I was introduced to Shuttle Bored and Dave C and taken off to a bar in Clapham. I was almost barred from entry as my bad dress sense was laughed at, or the fact that in this particular collection of chaps, chapettes and "morning after bearded ladies with big feet", I was the only one to wear glasses. Well, those blokes must have been reading the stories in Mayfair then as I was looking at the pictures and ended up as the only one with vision defects at the displayed prospects.

I learnt a bit about internet tools and that has been great. I found some places that I had not worked out were good points of origin. although TIP was a legend for me years ago. The LIS was actually Faro for me and good fun. Especially when the ground mob at Heathrow tried to offload me as I did not have enough passport space for the South African visa and I waited until the last minute to tell them that I was connecting to Namibia.

The tier point run discussions were fun, I guess that having done well over 40 RTWs before becoming an FTer, I had enough idea of what to do and the confidence to tell people to at least try the BAH DOH for the hell of it. However, Dave C and the AMS T class MFU was a real bonus.

I am not a Tesco shopper but when the posting about the Palmiers biscuits being bought at lunchtime, and then taken into a shop and bought for the second time in the evening came up, I realised that I was not quite as mad as I thought. Well at least, there were other people on day release from the funny farm as well.

The London Dos got better, bigger and stronger. The circle of "handles" turned into faces and faces turned into friends. Of course, Ms JenBel has once again to be blamed for most of that. And the introduction of Sheep into the equation was fun. I have managed to fly in from Accra and Dallas on the day of DOs now, and some moan about coming down from EDI...

I brought the then NPMS along to a Do and she was able to assess how mad you all were, spooked Brian 1 by recognising him from his LGW days, and was then whisked off on holiday by "a certain other QF member". Well, she upgraded her status to FNPMS but we have, after a few months, at last been able to become close friends again. Awww.

There was the Barra Do, with FNPMS ejecting from the event and when organising all got rather stressful because of work, Jen and Shuttle Bored stepped in to rescue me again. So, the DO was organised and all of the people seemed to enjoy it most of the time.... now what is it about that "certain other QF member" that shortly after meeting up with another potential girlfriend (this time Spottie Tottie), she downgraded her status too. Mmm, maybe a lesson learnt there as a trend.

The Barra DO was what I needed to relax on my annual holiday, a bunch of mad frequent flyers, nice scenery, wind, walking and not much in the way of mobile phone signal. However, when the next disaster hit, I was so glad that my friends were there. Lesson learnt, FTers can be bloody good mates.

Well, I think that my sense of humour came out in the posts, not all of them were serious ticketing advice for xONEx runs. What did I admit to over time, in a series of posts along the "99 sectors in 100 days" brand well there was:

Getting stopped at Amsterdam customs for smuggling a cat in my hand luggage which was actually a Davy Crocket raccoon hat with a tail on it which they could see

Getting stopped at AMS security airside (mmm AMS is coming up a lot here...) when carrying a cylindrical "marital aid" that was gift wrapped for my IT girl (and X girlfriend) who had lost her "main source of comfort" in a house move. (moral of story always check vibrators into hold luggage, oh, and remove the batteries if you do as the vibration sensors trip and the lady at X ray gets all excited..)

Wondering what the hell to do on arrival at Santiago (Chile) when the customs banned list included the word "sperm". Now with no "honesty box to leave a deposit in" and no Vasectomies R Us franchise airside, I was stuck with the only thing that I could do which was to smuggle and plead that I have left SYD "empty of all controlled substances" nearly 24 hours ago. Ah, the days of the QF pilot girlfriend....

And of course, the wind up threads. Some fell for the Friends and Supporters of BA in a big way recently. Quite a few fell for the "noise cancelling headsets" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...04&postcount=1
and most of those who did not fall, certainly enjoyed the ride.

I have got a lot out of FT, you can act as my Sadi guide dog whilst I struggle around the world with the full backing of the Prime Minister, blind of information, growing a beard and trying to get off with posh birds. The information that FTers are willing to dig up for me is amazing. The Air Canada board were great with the Toronto "event" and enabled me to put up a good fight on Radio 4 before doing my stuff on the event itself. I thank you all for your cabin safety eyes as well, keep up the good work and we will win the war of complacency eventually.

I hope that my posts have been some "compensation for Pucci" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=17
and that we shall all continue on, with useful advice and a sense of humour which is uniquely British and cannot be found AAnywhere else.

I raise my glass of Pepsi Max with a Twist (well, actually tonight I have run out of Asda own brand diet cola with lime and it is raining, so a glass of OJ it is) to you all. May I meet many more of you at DOs, however briefly and interact via the open board, PMs and MSN. Where else can I post something about wanting to buy an airline and end up in a discussion on nasal hair in such a short space of time? And the Tampa Bay cheerleaders as well, great stuff.

Happy landings and here is to the next 2000 posts and getting to sleep with Angelina again.

Now, has anybody seen my bicycle ....

Yours,

Spottie
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Let me be the first the shake Spottie's hand and pat his back on this milestone.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Well done, I feel safer in the skies these days ^
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:58 pm
Community Director Emerita

Spottie, thank God you have come along to lift our spirits in our post-Merry days. 2000 posts - and far too few of them in OneWorld. We are waiting - and waiting - and awaiting you there, my friend.

Thank you for sharing both your knowledge and your humor with us. We are enlivened by having you.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Spottie, it's been a privilege to be in your company here on the board, let alone have the chance to come to the Barra do, which was just magnificent. Here's to the coming thousands of entertaining and enjoyable posts from you!
Old Nov 9, 2005, 12:45 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Thank goodness you haven't got too big an ego though

Wouldn't others normally make this congratulatory type of thread, rather than oneself?

Last edited by BOH; Nov 9, 2005 at 9:31 am
Old Nov 9, 2005, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
I thought it was FGB's job to formally congratulate. Anyway well done and thanks for all the laughs...nice to have someone lighten up the grim reality that scrabbling about for miles & points may not always be as glamorous a career as people think!
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:18 am

Yes, a great big wobbly, dangly CONGRATULATIONS (not to mention jubilations)!

That should've bumped up your FSB a bit
Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Fantastic Sensational Ballistic.

here's to another 2000 witty posts.................... ^
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Ok, I still remember when reading a random post on FB, suddenly thinking "I know this guy...." a bit of cyber stalking later, and I'd confirmed that spotwelder was the person I knew, and he had finally listened to me (see, I do know what I talk about sometimes just don't ask me to differentiate cooked chicken/turkey ) and got onto a place I knew he would enjoy...

And it would appear I was right

Glad you finally made it!
Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congratulations! Thanks for the laughs - and the insights too.

Cheers.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
Yeah? Well this is my 341st post. So there.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
This post is so that I can keep my number of post just ahead a Tits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.