Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2005, 8:49 am
Original Poster

EU Compensation

Has anyone been lucky enough to get the new EU compensation out of BA yet for delays, bumping or cancellation? Was it easy to get or, more likely, did you have to threaten to sue before they coughed up?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

So, no-one then? Well done BA! Not a single delay beyond 2hrs, a bump or a downgrade! Why do we all complain so much?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:32 pm

Just read your post having returned from a short holiday.

I am on the case of a delay which BA are trying to avoid paying out on...their most recent response...their second attempt...claims that technical problems with the aircraft meant that the delay was outwith their control.

If they think I am going to give up they are SERIOUSLY mistaken!
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes you just wonder. Their interpretation suggests that they will only consider themselves bound to pay compensation if they cancel a flight just for the fun of it, without reason

Whether it is outwith their control is irrelevant. They need to show that 'the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken'.

An aircraft going tech is an 'extraordinary circumstance'? Don't think so.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 5:50 pm

I agree.

The pleasure of following up this case is watching BA dig themselves into a nice deep hole...before...as in poker...revealing ones hand...
Old Jul 2, 2005, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimmyTheJock

I am on the case of a delay which BA are trying to avoid paying out on...their most recent response...their second attempt...claims that technical problems with the aircraft meant that the delay was outwith their control.

What can you do in circumstances like this? Personally I wouldn't hold out great hope for badgering BA - it doesn't seem to work on any other issue! Have you/will you threaten legal action? If this is the typical pattern it doesn't hold out much hope for our "rights". O'Leary has practically said that he will ignore the legislation and you can take a running **** if you want 200 from Ryanair. I'm not comparing BA with his attitude but this isn't a good start is it?
Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Small Claims Court.

It never ceases to amaze me how few people are either aware of, or willing to use, the SCC procedure.

The maximum limit for a claim is now £5000 (England/Wales only) and it's very easy and designed for non-legal people to use. The judge is not interested in complex legal arguments, all s/he is interested in is what a 'reasonable person' would have done under your particular circumstances.

I've used the SCC to get a few scalps over the years including Kensington and Chelsea Council for towing my car away (that cost them over £500 by the time I'd finished with them) and Dixons for failing to honour an on-site warranty on a large telly (they refunded all my money, took the telly away and gave me £200 compensation).

In each case these organisations sent along some high-faluting barrister/solicitor and in each case the judge shot them down on my behalf and TOLD them to speak in plain english so I could understand.

In my experience, the moment the summons is issued you get exactly what you want. I now have a simple rule for complaints - 2 telephone calls, 2 letters and 6 weeks. If I've not got anywhere in this time then it's SCC...

(yes, I'm a bolshy git !)

Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is not a bad idea to complain to the relevant national regulator (in the UK: the Consumer Protection Group of the CAA) and the EU Commission (phone, fax and, e-mail and postal address here) until the airlines start to take these obligations seriously.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:58 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by NickB
It is not a bad idea to complain to the relevant national regulator (in the UK: the Consumer Protection Group of the CAA) and the EU Commission (phone, fax and, e-mail and postal address here) until the airlines start to take these obligations seriously.
BA is not the only one playing games here. KLM told me that they did not receive my 5 faxes on a cancelled flight compensation matter. Only when I had the documents faxed over from a Swedish courthouse did they seem to get the point.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
BA is not the only one playing games here. KLM told me that they did not receive my 5 faxes on a cancelled flight compensation matter. Only when I had the documents faxed over from a Swedish courthouse did they seem to get the point.
The advantage of a fax, of course, is that you can PROVE that someone received a fax by retaining the transmission report. The attitude of courts (at least in the UK) is that if you have a transmission report showing receipt of the fax, then it's the recipients problem if they claim not to have it...
Old Jul 2, 2005, 5:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
The advantage of a fax, of course, is that you can PROVE that someone received a fax by retaining the transmission report. The attitude of courts (at least in the UK) is that if you have a transmission report showing receipt of the fax, then it's the recipients problem if they claim not to have it...
Yes, and the phone records help too. (Interestingly, KLM appears not to have their fax numbers aligned with the numbers loaded in their machines: both fax numbers I contacted had their fax devices sending back different fax contact info on the transmission reports.)
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:35 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by JimmyTheJock

technical problems are not outwith their control !!!
Every airline has to maintain their aircraft that this not happens.
outwith their control is : bad weather, airport closed, walkout , attacks ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.