Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seat selection on AA's reservation for BA flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle

Hi

It happened again. BA.com was quoting twice as much as AA.com for the *same* BA european flight in coach, so had to book it through them. After having got to the right reservation no I checked the reservation exists on BA's system but it is not possible to preselect seats. Is that something that always happens? I normally book via BA so this is the first time it happens to me. Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Hi,

If you've managed to get the itinerary listed under Manage My Bookings then you should have no problems requesting a seat. Usual conditions apply, ie:

* Eurotraveller: seats cannot be reserved until check-in.
* Club Europe: no pre-seating on flights between London and Jersey or London and Dublin.
* No pre-seating on CitiExpress services to Paris Charles de Gaulle, Amsterdam, Luxembourg, Brussels, Jersey and Dublin
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:43 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Originally Posted by alex69uk
Hi

It happened again. BA.com was quoting twice as much as AA.com for the *same* BA european flight in coach, so had to book it through them. After having got to the right reservation no I checked the reservation exists on BA's system but it is not possible to preselect seats. Is that something that always happens? I normally book via BA so this is the first time it happens to me. Thanks.
You generally can't select seats in MMB for euro-traveller, but you can in club europe. If I have a MAD-LGW booked in Y, I can't choose a seat, but when I upgrade the same flight online, I then have access to preselect seats.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Greg

Ops! It'd been a while since flying Eurotraveller and I'd forgotten about it!
Thanks. Hmm - guess no chance of 24hr before olci given that I've given my AA FF... We'll see what's available at 12hr.

Many thanks.

Originally Posted by GregM
Hi,

If you've managed to get the itinerary listed under Manage My Bookings then you should have no problems requesting a seat. Usual conditions apply, ie:

* Eurotraveller: seats cannot be reserved until check-in.
* Club Europe: no pre-seating on flights between London and Jersey or London and Dublin.
* No pre-seating on CitiExpress services to Paris Charles de Gaulle, Amsterdam, Luxembourg, Brussels, Jersey and Dublin
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I haven't tried this but if you're a BAEC member, I'd expect that you can still use OLCI 24 hours before departure. In fact, OLCI is supposed to be available to all now at T minus 24.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GregM
I haven't tried this but if you're a BAEC member, I'd expect that you can still use OLCI 24 hours before departure. In fact, OLCI is supposed to be available to all now at T minus 24.
Oh yes, they changed this a couple of months back. I'll give it a go. Thanks again!
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:18 am

I think it might still be the case that you can only OLCI if your (e)ticket number starts with 125 (BA Issued), and not 001 (AA issued). Can anyone confirm this from recent experience?

You might just have to do it the old-fashioned way and turn up to the airport early.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:47 am

Dave, well spotted. I didn't pick up on that. Annoying, this is still the case as far as I am aware.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 11:33 am

aa.com tix do indeed still have this problem - my EDI Do tix suffered accordingly. At least with MMB on domestics we now have a fighting chance of getting a single digit row number.....

Last edited by Shuttle-Bored; Mar 28, 2005 at 11:35 am
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I think it might still be the case that you can only OLCI if your (e)ticket number starts with 125 (BA Issued), and not 001 (AA issued). Can anyone confirm this from recent experience?

You might just have to do it the old-fashioned way and turn up to the airport early.
Actually , no you don't.

As long as your BAEC number is on the reservation, you can do OLCI no matter who issued the ticket.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Hi

Thanks - Oh well I'll give it a go and will report if this is still the case. Cheers
Old Mar 28, 2005, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Celestar340
Actually , no you don't.

As long as your BAEC number is on the reservation, you can do OLCI no matter who issued the ticket.
If only this was true
Old Mar 28, 2005, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Celestar340
Actually , no you don't.

Sorry, you're incorrect. The ticket number needs to start with 125.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Sorry, you're incorrect. The ticket number needs to start with 125.
I beg to differ.

I issued a ticket through Asiamiles. Hence ticket number started with 160.

I called in my BAEC to reservations.

I had been able to do OLCI twice. Once going and once coming back.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 12:31 am

This doesn't change the fact that you cannot use OLCI with AA issued tickets.

Its a pain, its unnecessary in my view but believe me, the issue is to do with the way AA processes etickets for BA flights. The ticket code necessary to enable both OLCI and the self service check-in is missing from AA etickets. If you talk to BA's web support team, they will claim is that the OLCI/SSCI system is optimised for 125 numbered tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.