Wiki Posts
Search

NCW seating for 2 on 744 and 772

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2005, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Question NCW seating for 2 on 744 and 772

Hi all,

Booked on BA 115 LHR-JFK (747) and BA 188 EWR-LHR (772). Will be flying with my mom and am a little confused about the seating options.

For now, I've blocked the following seats:
20J/K (aisle/window) on BA 115
11E/F (center seats) on BA 188

From the Seatexpert and Seatguru sites, it seems that for a party of 2 the center seats in the middle section are preferable to an aisle/window combo, however I fear it could get a little claustrophobic on a day flight. So I took the center section for the red-eye and the aisle/window on the outbound (will try to get upper deck at OLCI).

Will we fill "closed in" in E/F or is that the ideal place to get as much sleep in as possible (away from aisle traffic)?

Are the face-to-face seats too far from each other to carry on a normal conversation?

What would the flyertalk experts do?

Thanks in advance!
Andre

Last edited by Andre; Mar 19, 2005 at 4:30 am Reason: Hit the post button too soon - itchy trigger finger...
Old Mar 19, 2005, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
Personally, if I couldn't get the two rearward facing seats at the very back of the cabin (so you don't have to climb over anyone's feet to exit your seat row), I would opt for the window-aisle combo. These seats offer a little more privacy than sitting in the middle four.

Either way though, try and get seats at the very back of the cabin (on the Triple Seven).

No real specific suggestions about the 747. Don't see it that often.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 4:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The window/aisle combo are perfect for face to face conversation.

You'll find the 744 offers a bit more elbow room than the 777 airborne dorm, especially on the upper deck.

Take special care eating your desert though - you wouldn't want mom reaching over to wipe the chocolate sauce off your face with a damp serviette now would ya?
Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tits McGhee
Personally, if I couldn't get the two rearward facing seats at the very back of the cabin (so you don't have to climb over anyone's feet to exit your seat row), I would opt for the window-aisle combo. These seats offer a little more privacy than sitting in the middle four.

Either way though, try and get seats at the very back of the cabin (on the Triple Seven).
OK - 15 E/F (the last row) is not available at this point. I will change the center seats to an aisle/window combo, since that appears to be the consensus.

Why do you say I should get seats at the very back of the 777 cabin? According to seatexpert.com, the bassinets in WT+ are a little too close for comfort there...

Originally Posted by GregM
Take special care eating your desert though - you wouldn't want mom reaching over to wipe the chocolate sauce off your face with a damp serviette now would ya?
Travelling with Mom is an experience - I will always be oh, about 6 years old in her mind. You'd think she'd notice the grey hair on my temples by now, as well as the fact that I'm paying for my ticket...

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming!

Andre
Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The benefit with the centre seats on row 15 is that you get unimpeded access to/from the aisle but you are correct in that your 7 feet away from the WT+ bassinets.

Something to bear in mind when selecting window seats on the 777 - try to avoid row 12 if you can. It has a blank window panel just where you need it most. Row 15 also has a blank window but its position isn't quite so inhibiting. That said, you really appreciate the additional inch of elbow room that the wind recess offers.

Another window seat tip: If you notice the passenger sitting in the aisle behind you is struggling to reach their footstool, don't be afraid to advise him/her that it can be pivoted forward. That way, he/she will benefit from a more comfortable feet-up position and it creates a convenient gap for you to squeeze past.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Andre
Why do you say I should get seats at the very back of the 777 cabin? According to seatexpert.com, the bassinets in WT+ are a little too close for comfort there...
The number one benefit of the last row of Club is that the window seat occupant can get out into the aisle without having to climb over the aisle seat occupant. There will be a little passage behind the head end of the forward-facing aisle seat. Hard to describe, hard to draw (although Tits McGhee made a good stab at something similar). You'll see exactly what the benefit is when you get there.

It's true that the WT+ bassinet position may be just behind that, but speaking for myself I have seldom seen children, let alone babies, in W.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Andre
Booked on BA 115 LHR-JFK (747) and BA 188 EWR-LHR (772).
What a shame you aren't doing this the other way around. I prefer to fly into EWR and out of JFK. EWR has generally excellent immigration facilities (when arriving on the 189) and JFK has a very good lounge and premium check-in area. I would go so far as to say JFK is my favourite airport to fly out of. The TSA agents are polite...Hard to imagine I know
Old Mar 19, 2005, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I would rather take the window/aisle combo is travelling together. You can actually look your mum in the face - which makes conversation easier. I would stick with 20JK for the 747 - they are a pretty decent pair.
It's a pity there are no seats left on the UD though.

IMHO it's best to be as near the front of the 777 cabin as possible. It's a noisy plane at the best of times - row 15 is at the end of the wing so there is a bit more wind noise.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tits McGhee
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
IMHO it's best to be as near the front of the 777 cabin as possible.
Now that's what I call consensus of opinion

Any more votes for front or rear? It's a deuce so far...

Andre
Old Mar 20, 2005, 6:29 am

My vote is for the front. For the reasons Swanhunter outlined above.

My personal preference on the 777 is 11A/B or J/K if row 10 is unavailable. Failing that 13A/B or J/K
Old Mar 20, 2005, 6:54 am
Original Poster

OK - just blocked 13 J/K and will try to move forward at OLCI.

Thanks again
Andre
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by GregM
My vote is for the front. For the reasons Swanhunter outlined above.

My personal preference on the 777 is 11A/B or J/K if row 10 is unavailable. Failing that 13A/B or J/K
I agree that closer to the front is better. I'd also avoid being too close of WT+/WT. You might be lucky with no babies, but it is still generally noisy.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Just back - snagged 64A/B at check-in on the outbound ^

Stayed with 13J/K for the return. Quite a bit of engine noise IMO, but otherwise OK.

Thanks again!
Andre
Old Apr 18, 2005, 10:22 pm

Programs: QF Gold
14J/K is a personal favourite on the 744, 38 or 70. 14K faces rearward to a bulkhead and you've more than enough room to leave your seat without climbing over others. Row 63 isn't bad either, though you need to squeeze between the wall and seat to access the aisle.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by BA1321
EWR has generally excellent immigration facilities (when arriving on the 189)...
Unless it's late, and you get stuck behind an arriving AI 744.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.