Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T4 airside>landside: Can I do this - or is it naughty

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T4 airside>landside: Can I do this - or is it naughty

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:15 am
dnw
Original Poster

Question T4 airside>landside: Can I do this - or is it naughty

I have a 6.5hr layover at LHR in a couple of weeks time and I would like to leave the airport and go into London, returning an hour or two before departure.

Whenever I have done this before, I have always missed out on a massage in the MB Spa which I really enjoy... but not enough to sit in the bloody airport for six and half hours!

So, rather than just exiting directly on arrival, can I go through Flight Connections, go to the Spa and make an appointment for much later, THEN leave the airport? I will have no checked luggage.

How do I actually get out of T4 airside?? and can I do it without alerting the airline or causing a problem etc etc

I dont want to risk it if there is a chance of a probelm as I will be picking my luggage up in London.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by dnw
I have a 6.5hr layover at LHR in a couple of weeks time and I would like to leave the airport and go into London, returning an hour or two before departure.

Whenever I have done this before, I have always missed out on a massage in the MB Spa which I really enjoy... but not enough to sit in the bloody airport for six and half hours!

So, rather than just exiting directly on arrival, can I go through Flight Connections, go to the Spa and make an appointment for much later, THEN leave the airport? I will have no checked luggage.

How do I actually get out of T4 airside?? and can I do it without alerting the airline or causing a problem etc etc

I dont want to risk it if there is a chance of a probelm as I will be picking my luggage up in London.
pretty sure you can, just trying to remember the geography of the terminal, to get you back into arrivals....
Old Mar 5, 2005, 6:42 am

Yes, easily done. You may return land-side just by asking security to let you back through. I've done it many times.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:18 am
dnw
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dakota
Yes, easily done. You may return land-side just by asking security to let you back through. I've done it many times.
At the main entrance (fast track etc)? or somewhere else?
Old Mar 5, 2005, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by dnw
At the main entrance (fast track etc)? or somewhere else?
Hang on, I would have thought that transfer pax would be told that they had to clear immigration and customs. Just slipping back out through the security point would bypass both. Surely they shouldn't allow this!!
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:19 am
dnw
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The Saint
Hang on, I would have thought that transfer pax would be told that they had to clear immigration and customs.
Good point Anyone?
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I think someone (I have a feeling it was Dave_C or Globaliser) posted that if you turn left after going through security in T4 there is a lift somewhere on your left (well hidden) that drops you down onto the Arrivals level so you can pass through immigration and customs.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:38 am

You can definitely get out from the airside area of T4; of course, you'll have to go through security again on the way back in.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 9:43 am

OK, I'll clarify. I have returned landside from airside T4 and T1, not from FCC. However, I would think that the same principle applies, in that you will have to clear immigration and/or security to cross to/from landside to airside. Once in, you may ask security to allow you to return landside, come back later and go through security to return airside, just as if you had just checked-in at the landside desks.

In my experience, no-one minds one's returning landside, as long as one goes through the full security checks to get back airside. You may well be asked why, but you have a valid reason, i.e. a long layover. And you are entitled to enter the UK, I hope!
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:39 am
dnw
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. If anyone passes through T4 in the next week and notices the location of the lift or signage to return airside, please could they post here?
Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I am thinking of doing this the week after next (see my gym thread). I wonder if it is possible to leave baggage in the F lounge, whilst out of T4 for a couple of hours, has anyone got any experience of this. I guess it is a little naughty, but I wouldn't want to have to schelp all my hand baggage across to the Hilton for the sake of a circa 2 hour workout.

It's a shame really that BA don't offer a gym in the lounge pavillion I am sure this woul dbe very useful to others as well as myself. Even the "mini gym" in the arrivals lounge seems to have bit the dust (although I can see why, I have never been that dedicated to a workout that it has won out over a breakfast fry up ).
Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold 20y (89-09)
take the lift and join arrivals

The lift is at Gate 1 by the Dixons.
It is marked down to flight connections.

I just did this on Thursday, when my LHR-CDG connection was cancelled due to the weather at CDG.

Once on the lower level you go through a revolving door to exit the secure area and join the arrivals flow.

Just tell the I/O what you are doing unless u have a UK passpot, when they don't care.

Cheers,
TLA
Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: One World
I think you can go back to arrivals via the flightconnection center in T4. From the lMB Spa walk towards Gate 1 (terrace lounge) and just before you get there you turn left where normally the transfer pax coming into the departure area. Just walk in there, back past the transfer desk and if i remember correctly there is a revolving door to let you back in the arrivals area. You then need to clear immigration and customs to get airside.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
That is it. If you get lost, ask. It's not naughty. People have to legitimately go landside again for all sorts of reasons - in my case, because I'd missed my flight and wanted to go out and have supper with a friend while waiting for the next one.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:04 am
dnw
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies- I feel confident about doing it now. If anyone wants to say hi it will be the evening of March 17th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.