Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA asks $1 M from the USA for flight turned back over Atlantic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2005, 7:49 pm
SK
Original Poster

From the online edition of The Telegraph. Here are some excerpts from this article (requires free subscription):

British Airways is demanding an estimated $1 million in compensation from the United States after one of its flights was turned back to London because a passenger was on a list of suspected terrorists.

The airline claims that there was no evidence that the passenger, who was released without charge, was a terrorist and that the order to return to London was unnecessary and a mistake.

Rod Eddington, BA's chief executive, has enlisted the help of Alistair Darling, the Transport Secretary, in his effort to get the Americans to repay a substantial amount of the costs incurred as a result of the US decision.

Mr Darling's officials have promised that the Government will do what it can to help BA, but have also said that they are reluctant to do anything that could be seen to undermine the US-led war on terrorism.

The controversy centres on an incident last month when a BA 175 flight from Heathrow to New York's John F Kennedy Airport, which had 239 passengers on board, was turned back to Britain three hours into its journey.

Inquiries by The Sunday Telegraph have revealed that a major dispute between US authorities and British Airways broke out while the flight was airborne, with the airline insisting that the man was not on any banned list that it had.

Washington maintained that BA did not have the latest version of the list.

There was no threat to the safety of the aircraft," the spokesman said. However, The Sunday Telegraph understands that the attitude of senior US officials enraged Mr Eddington and convinced him to urge the Government to intervene by trying to use the strength of its relationship with President Bush's administration to win compensation.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by SK
From the online edition of The Telegraph. Here are some excerpts from this article (requires free subscription):

British Airways is demanding an estimated $1 million in compensation from the United States after one of its flights was turned back to London because a passenger was on a list of suspected terrorists.

The airline claims that there was no evidence that the passenger, who was released without charge, was a terrorist and that the order to return to London was unnecessary and a mistake.

Rod Eddington, BA's chief executive, has enlisted the help of Alistair Darling, the Transport Secretary, in his effort to get the Americans to repay a substantial amount of the costs incurred as a result of the US decision.

Mr Darling's officials have promised that the Government will do what it can to help BA, but have also said that they are reluctant to do anything that could be seen to undermine the US-led war on terrorism.

The controversy centres on an incident last month when a BA 175 flight from Heathrow to New York's John F Kennedy Airport, which had 239 passengers on board, was turned back to Britain three hours into its journey.

Inquiries by The Sunday Telegraph have revealed that a major dispute between US authorities and British Airways broke out while the flight was airborne, with the airline insisting that the man was not on any banned list that it had.

Washington maintained that BA did not have the latest version of the list.

There was no threat to the safety of the aircraft," the spokesman said. However, The Sunday Telegraph understands that the attitude of senior US officials enraged Mr Eddington and convinced him to urge the Government to intervene by trying to use the strength of its relationship with President Bush's administration to win compensation.
I wish Mr. Eddington luck. Have you ever the known this British government to put UK interests ahead of that of the Bush administration?
Old Feb 27, 2005, 1:10 am

After they forced a flight with Cat Stevens to make an early landing, perhaps this time they had The Nolans or Donny Osmond on board, whose names American Intelligence (sic) have on the list of 70s singers whose records may have subliminal messages if played backwards at twice the speed.

Good luck BA with the claim. However, I fear that the total lack of accountability for their actions will allow the US authorities to shrug it off.

Perhaps we should start sending back a few United flights. At US$1m a go, wouldn't take long for it finally to go to the wall.

Last edited by The Saint; Feb 27, 2005 at 1:13 am
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:29 am

Programs: BD, BA, VS
Originally Posted by The Saint
Perhaps we should start sending back a few United flights. At US$1m a go, wouldn't take long for it finally to go to the wall.
Hey you leave united alone! I haven't flown on them much but the times I have I've found their cabin crew to be the friendliest I've ever flow with. And their biz seat may be a bit tired and old hat now compared to BA's NCW, but the food was delicious....

I wish united were in AA's position!
Old Feb 27, 2005, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SK
I'm normally not very fond of sentences which contain all the words "United States" and "compensation".

But on this occasion, I'll be cheering BA on enthusiastically. I hope they get money out of them for this bloody stupidity.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:02 am
dnw

This is the best thing I've read in relation to the Homeland 'Security' Dept in it in a LONG time. Good luck BA ^

...and while they're at it how about $100m in punitive damages in addition to the compensation for costs
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:38 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by dnw
This is the best thing I've read in relation to the Homeland 'Security' Dept in it in a LONG time. Good luck BA ^

...and while they're at it how about $100m in punitive damages in addition to the compensation for costs
Speaking of costs... does anyone know what the associated costs were of the turning back to add up to $1 million? Seems a lot considering we read earlier that BA saved £100,000 by not turning back to LA after the engine incident, and I imagine the costs incurred (rebooking pax, putting pax in hotels and feeding them, extra ground fees/taxes etc.) would be about the same? Or am I wrong?

I do hope BA gets the compensation... I do not appreciate the anything-for-security attitude that seems to prevade much of the thinking in the US regarding safety and security. It all seems to be based on incomplete and inaccurate information, decisions are formed from "hunches" rather than hard evidence, and our glorious defenders of liberty cannot even provide airlines with updated lists of suspicous persons in this age of instant communication!!! One would think that would be a no-brainer, as airlines can then take pre-emptive action to ensure the safety of flights (or at the very least satsify the concerns of US authorities). Decision makers in the "Homeland" Security Department (soon we'll be calling it the fatherland like old-fashioned European nationalists) seem to fancy themselves immune to mistakes, because their intent is so pure and so lilly white... but they're just bureaucrats who screw up half the time.

I don't feel any safer than I did a few years ago... in fact, I feel less safe. Good job guys. ^
Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Speaking of costs... does anyone know what the associated costs were of the turning back to add up to $1 million? Seems a lot . ^

Maybe when the plane turned round a few people split their coffee?
Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Speaking of costs... does anyone know what the associated costs were of the turning back to add up to $1 million? Seems a lot considering we read earlier that BA saved £100,000 by not turning back to LA after the engine incident, and I imagine the costs incurred (rebooking pax, putting pax in hotels and feeding them, extra ground fees/taxes etc.) would be about the same? Or am I wrong?
I thought that it was the scribblers who had "calculated" the figure of £100,000 - and that simply from multiplying the new compensation figures by the number of pax on the flight.

It would therefore follow that "£100,000" is about as reliable an estimate of the amount of money BA might have saved by continuing that flight as my pet budgie's estimate will be of the winning Lotto numbers on Wednesday evening.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:03 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I thought that it was the scribblers who had "calculated" the figure of £100,000 - and that simply from multiplying the new compensation figures by the number of pax on the flight.

It would therefore follow that "£100,000" is about as reliable an estimate of the amount of money BA might have saved by continuing that flight as my pet budgie's estimate will be of the winning Lotto numbers on Wednesday evening.
Thanks for pointing that out. I should have realized...
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:22 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Why not? Bush's cronies over in Iraq charge the federal government about $20,000 a time to buy a wrench and turn off a faucet.

Last edited by tristan727; Feb 27, 2005 at 10:25 am
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by dnw
Yes, perhaps we could claim eye-watering punitive damages for the "callous" treatment.

Speaking of costs... does anyone know what the associated costs were of the turning back to add up to $1 million? Seems a lot .

Originally Posted by steadman
Maybe when the plane turned round a few people spilt their coffee?
Now you're AAsking for trouble when AAustin gets on line!
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steadman
Maybe when the plane turned round a few people split their coffee?
Well, that would be BA's fault if they served the coffee so hot it could cause third degree burns.

But seriously, even as a litigious American , I personall believe BA should be entitled to its day in court, to at least have evidence heard and a decision made with respect to compensation.
But keep in mind, that BA doesn't HAVE to fly to the U.S. It chooses to do so because it is profitable for them, and they presumably must abide by U.S. rules, regulations and orders. This includes potentially incurring the costs of returning a flight if it's determined to have someone on the no-fly list on board. The courts need to decide, after examining evidence and hearing arguments, whether the U.S. was justified n ordering the plane back to the U.K.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I personally believe BA should be entitled to its day in court, to at least have evidence heard and a decision made with respect to compensation.
Two points:

(1) There won't be any evidence. It will all be "intelligence" from the spooks that is "classified". There is nil prospect of it being tested in a court. It's the same "intelligence" that is used to lock up people in Guantanamo bay without trial. Can't put 'em on trial, because not enough evidence.

(2) Thanks to the "all-in-the-name-of-security" situation, BA will be told - politely - to stuff off. If the US tells you to turn a plane around because they suspect that there is a bearded 70s singer on board, you do as you are told. It's the same thing with the TSA. If they want to jemmy open your luggage causing hundreds of pounds of damage, they can. No accountability, no compensation. All done "in-the-name-of-security". Makes you wonder how the rest of the world manages without the TSA.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Maybe I have missed something but do we know the reasons that the pilot gave for having to turn back to LHR?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.