Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde looking so lonely (w/ photo) !

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2005, 4:16 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by MFLetou
Isn't there one nicely on display in Germany someplace, if I remember from my Airways Magazine?
It's at Sinsheim, not far from Karlsruhe. Drove past there a few months ago and with a few hours to spare I dropped in. Both Concorde and the TU144 are up on the roof on stilts adopting a take-off pose. Very interesting to see the two side-by-side and be able to appreciate the design differences which are significant.

For example, TU144 has retractable canards to improve low speed handling and the engines are much, much closer together than on Concorde. The Brits and French always this would be dangerous in the event of an engine shedding a blade or something - much more likely to take out another engine with it.

You can go inside both planes although the angle they are mounted makes it a strange experience - the floor is inclined very, very steeply in both. Can thorougly recommend the museum as it has an amazing car display as well that is much bigger than the aerospace bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.