Wiki Posts
Search

BA to CCU

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2004, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
BA to CCU

I need to go to BKK in Club World, however there are no award seats available. I was thinking of flying to CCU and then purchasing a flight from CCU to BKK. Has anyone had any experience with connections at CCU. I will be arriving in at 5am, and my connecting flight is at 2pm. Are there any issues I should be aware of? Will I need a Visa? I am considering to fly Indian Airlines or Biman. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Imran
Old Dec 4, 2004, 5:31 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by coiaflyer
Will I need a Visa?
It would depend on your nationality, but odds are that you will.

I need to go to BKK in Club World, however there are no award seats available. I was thinking of flying to CCU and then purchasing a flight from CCU to BKK.

I am considering to fly Indian Airlines or Biman. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
1. Biman would imply another connection in Dhaka, which you may wish to avoid.
2. Thai has a direct flight from CCU-BKK on a A330. And IMO, would be better than Indian Airlines.
3. Also MAA could be another option. It too has a direct TG flight to BKK.

Another option would be to check BA award availability to SIN (or even HKG although it is slightly farther off). The corridor b/w BKK-HKG and BKK-SIN is one of the most competetive in the world with a multitude of airlines flying b/w these city pairs, and fares are really competitive as a result.

This might just be an 'easier', although less adventurous option than connecting in CCU or MAA.

cheers
AJ
Old Dec 4, 2004, 5:57 pm

Of course you should treat all internet advice as unreliable, but my understanding is, you DO NOT need a visa to transit CCU. You will of course have to spend all your time locked in the small transit area, the pleasures of which can be exhausted in about 2.5 minutes. If you are game, you should leave the airport and negotiate a taxi to drive you around for a few hours. But then you WILL need a visa, and you should not do it if this is your first time in India.

As stated above, Biman flights are via their capital and hub, Dhaka, and so should be avoided. (Of course BA also has nonstops to DAC and then you could reasonably take Biman to BKK.) I agree that Thai is better than IC, but I gather from your post that Thai does not have flights that day (they do this route 3 or 4 times a week). IC is not nearly as bad as it used to be although it is not yet a world-standard airline. Be patient.

Have you checked award availability to CCU? CCU awards are not that easy to get either, since BA is the only airline flying to CCU from anywhere in Europe, and that's only 3 times a week.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 6:09 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by kalia960
Of course you should treat all internet advice as unreliable, but my understanding is, you DO NOT need a visa to transit CCU. You will of course have to spend all your time locked in the small transit area
Some more official information on visas for India (including transit visas) is here:

http://www.tourisminindia.com/fest_p...structions.htm
Old Dec 4, 2004, 6:54 pm

As it says on that web page, transit visas are "Valid for single/double ENTRY for maximum stay of 15 days for bonafide transit purposes only". If the OP wants to leave the airport for a quick tour of Kolkata, that's the visa he will need. People pass through Delhi all the time on the way to Nepal: to catch a connecting flight to KTM, no visa; to go overland, transit visa; to tour India and return home, regular visa.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Dec 4, 2004 at 7:05 pm
Old Dec 4, 2004, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA Exp- 4MM; UA 1K; BA Gold; 9W Plat; SPG Plat; Hilton Diamond; LH FT; DL Gold
Better to get a visa

I need to go to BKK in Club World, however there are no award seats available. I was thinking of flying to CCU and then purchasing a flight from CCU to BKK. Has anyone had any experience with connections at CCU. I will be arriving in at 5am, and my connecting flight is at 2pm. Are there any issues I should be aware of? Will I need a Visa? I am considering to fly Indian Airlines or Biman. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Imran
Your transit time is long enough to not want to spend the time in CCU airport. YOu should get a visa ahead of time so that you have the flexibility. Visa on arrival is not a choice. Also, unless you previously held Pakistani passport, it is fairly easy to get an Indian visa. They have all the forms and information on the website and you can send you application by mail.

Between IA and Biman, I'd recommend IA. TG is an even better choice if the dates work out OK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.