Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Error in Deducting Miles??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2004, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Error in Deducting Miles??

Help please!! I am Silver BA, did MFU booking online this weekend, but there is obviously an error on the BA website. Miles were deducted, I received a confirmation for my booking, but then a few hours later, checked my account, and the miles had reappeared (no deduction taken). No one at BAEC Member Services available at this late hour.
I did a second MFU booking online, again received a confirmation, but again no miles deducted. I have searched this forum. Lots of comments about miles not POSTING, but can't find anything in this forum about miles not being DEDUCTED.
Do I have one booking in the upgraded class, two bookings, or none at all?? (note, I do not have enough miles in my account to cover two bookings, so what is likely to occur?)
Also, does BA have 24 hour cancel without penalty policy in case of errors?
Thank you kind readers for your advice.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Durham
Help please!! I am Silver BA, did MFU booking online this weekend, but there is obviously an error on the BA website. Miles were deducted, I received a confirmation for my booking, but then a few hours later, checked my account, and the miles had reappeared (no deduction taken). No one at BAEC Member Services available at this late hour.
I did a second MFU booking online, again received a confirmation, but again no miles deducted. I have searched this forum. Lots of comments about miles not POSTING, but can't find anything in this forum about miles not being DEDUCTED.
Do I have one booking in the upgraded class, two bookings, or none at all?? (note, I do not have enough miles in my account to cover two bookings, so what is likely to occur?)

I would check MMB online and see what that says.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 3:35 am
dnw

Better than that-

Go to www.checkmytrip.com
Enter your Booking Ref & Sirname for each booking.

Towards the bottom of the page, there should be a section entitled "TICKET ISSUED" and inside your name and e-ticket number.

If that section is there, it has been ticketed. If it is not, it is stuck in the queue or screwed up.

I have to add that making a second booking just because mileage came back without checking with BA first was a bit dumb.... if you don't have enough miles to cover both one or other of them will flag up for manual intervention. I would expect a call from BA today, hopefully they will not penalise you.

Last edited by dnw; Nov 29, 2004 at 3:41 am
Old Nov 29, 2004, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I made an MFU booking online and the miles never deducted and, as far as I can see, would never have deducted had I not intervened. The etix were issued, flights were flown and still no mileage deducted.

Then I was dumb enough to query the absence of miles / points for the paid/flown sectors (not that dumb really as I though - wrongly as it later turned out - that the points would be important to get me to Gold) and only then did someone spot the error. They gave me points and miles, but also corrected the missing miles deduction (net miles loss but points gain).

Motto of story: check you have a valid reservation and ticket and let sleeping dogs lie.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I will see what BA does with the bookings today, as they both still show up as validly ticketed. I am quite puzzled as to why the miles WERE deducted initially, when the first booking was made, and then a few hours later, the miles were put back in my account. So, maybe dumb of me, but I was more worried about not having any valid booking at all, as my travel dates are totally inflexible (crossing the pond for a wedding).
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:33 am

Thanks for the responses. I will see what BA does with the bookings today, as they both still show up as validly ticketed. I am quite puzzled as to why the miles WERE deducted initially, when the first booking was made, and then a few hours later, the miles were put back in my account. So, maybe dumb of me, but I was more worried about not having any valid booking at all, as my travel dates are totally inflexible (crossing the pond for a wedding).
I would call BA, tell them you are still nervous about online booking e/tix etc. and could they please confirm your booking is all OK. No 100% guarantee but should at least show up if there are any major issues.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 4:41 am
dnw

Thanks for the responses. I will see what BA does with the bookings today, as they both still show up as validly ticketed.
If they don't call you today, call them. If both are validly ticketed then your card has been charged for both bookings. I would want to sort that out as soon as possible...

They would be within their rights not to refund the second booking and just prevent the upgrade on it but I doubt they'll be that mean!
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Check under MMB to see if it gives you an option for printing/viewing an "e-ticket receipt". Or if it just gives you options for printing/viewing the "itinerary" only.

I had the same experience as you ... but there was no e-ticket number associated with my booking. So not only had miles not been deducted ... my credit card hadn't been charged either.

I was confirmed on the flights, but not yet paid.

I was going to just leave it like that, and let them charge me when it came time to actually fly.

But then the business class sale came up over the weekend. So I called BA and was able to cancel that booking without penalty (it was a WT+ upgraded to Club), and instead buy a Club upgraded to First on the weekend sale price.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:14 am
dnw

skippythelizard this is exactly the same as the (easier) process of checking for an eticket number in checkymtrip that I described above. Durham has already done this and reported back that both bookings have ticketed... hence his card has been charged twice.

Last edited by dnw; Nov 29, 2004 at 11:21 am Reason: DOH
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
that's nice cos it's Durham who was the thread starter
Old Nov 29, 2004, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Question

This is my first year ever as a Silver BA member, and in the last few years of travelling on BA, I have never experienced this sort of problem with my online bookings
I followed this forum's posters' kind advice, rang up BA. My phone call was transferred from Member Services to Silver BA reservation desk and back again to Member Services. The bottom line: E-tickets issued, no points deducted for the upgrade. The reservation desk agent, to paraphrase here, said that yes I have been e-ticketed, here is the ticket number, "oh, no miles deducted, and so?? "
I don't understand this indifference. I am trying to avoid any problems when I turn up at the airport. Any suggestions on how to reach a supervisor in Member Services?? (I was told none was available when my calll was transferred around). Or should I just "let sleeping dogs lie?"
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:04 am

This is my first year ever as a Silver BA member, and in the last few years of travelling on BA, I have never experienced this sort of problem with my online bookings
I followed this forum's posters' kind advice, rang up BA. My phone call was transferred from Member Services to Silver BA reservation desk and back again to Member Services. The bottom line: E-tickets issued, no points deducted for the upgrade. The reservation desk agent, to paraphrase here, said that yes I have been e-ticketed, here is the ticket number, "oh, no miles deducted, and so?? "
I don't understand this indifference. I am trying to avoid any problems when I turn up at the airport. Any suggestions on how to reach a supervisor in Member Services?? (I was told none was available when my calll was transferred around). Or should I just "let sleeping dogs lie?"
The latter. If there is a valid eticket, thats all you need.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:43 am
dnw

I think I may have misunderstood, I read your origonal post as you had made a second booking identical to the first after the miles came back? or were you talking about two separate journeys? if the former I would be a bit more concerned wtih geting one of them refunded than getting the miles deducted!

Last edited by dnw; Nov 30, 2004 at 3:46 am
Old Nov 30, 2004, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Question Similar situation

In a similar way, my latest MFU booking has resulted in no miles deducted. I can print/view itinerary only under MMB (after the extended search as it fails to list) but if I go to checkmytrip It describes me as confirmed and shows a "manual ticket" with a 14 digit "ticket number". I have no intention of ripping BA off for the miles involved (It is a game, after all & I like to play fair) but got similarly "brushed off" when I called them.
Old Nov 30, 2004, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by philco
In a similar way, my latest MFU booking has resulted in no miles deducted.
I am also in a similar position - booked an MFU in September, travelling in January, still no miles deducted. HOWEVER, whilst looking at booking other MFUs at the moment - the system is saying that i have a mileage shortfall: this can only be because the system knows my real miles balance.

Either the online statements are displaying the old balance incorrectly or, more likely, there is some sort of invisible "pending" balance (which is your true balance).

So I think that BA knows exactly what is in who's accounts

Boo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.