Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Branson cuddles up to BA’s Rod

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:32 am
Original Poster

OT: Branson cuddles up to BA’s Rod

Sorry, I know this isn't miles related, but thought it was of interest.

Sunday Times (UK) today:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...378063,00.html

I think you need to be registered, so here's the gen;

"BA has agreed to babysit a set of precious runway slots — Heathrow’s are the hottest property in commercial aviation — while Virgin builds up its fleet and route network.
The deal has stunned airline executives. “It shows how times have changed. The lion has laid down with the lamb,” one said last night.
The three pairs of prime slots, out of a set of four Virgin bought for a reported £20m, have been handed to BA for up to three years.

The deal was sealed last weekend during an international slots conference in Boston. Virgin purchased the slots from FlyBe, a British airline, and Air France last year, but did not have the aircraft or route rights to use them immediately...
...The Boston accord will see BA take over the slots, with Virgin taking them back as its fleet grows. The first set is due to be handed back in October next year, with the last returning to Virgin in three years.

Neither company would comment last night. Discussions on slot agreements are notoriously sensitive, with the European Commission still regarding slot trading as illegal."

Perhaps we'll see reciprocal ff program benefits negotiated on these routes?
Old Nov 28, 2004, 10:04 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
its not that strange - its an appreciating asset and BA can use them immediatley -- If they arent used BA loses £20m. BA is the only airline at LHR who could fill the slots immediateldy - VS needs more planes and more destinations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.