Wiki Posts
Search

NCW Special Meal Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2004, 8:53 am
Original Poster

NCW Special Meal Question

Hello:

On the JFK/LHR and LHR/JFK route is the Kosher Meal served in NCW the same meal as served to the Y Class passengers requesting same; or is the Kosher meal any better (as in Up****ed )?

I was wondering if the vendor that BA uses for their food service prepares different 'special' meals based on the cabin class?

Thanks for the great sage counsel offered here on the BA Flyertalk Board.

"zoosh"
Old Mar 24, 2004, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think that is prepared by the same supplier,but the quality does differ alot depending on which cabin it is for.The trays are supplied with brand new serving plates/bowls containing all the chilled parts of the meal.The food to be heated comes in double foiled wrapped containers.Cannot tell you how it tastes as have never had a chance to try any of it.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 2:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zoosh:
Hello:

On the JFK/LHR and LHR/JFK route is the Kosher Meal served in NCW the same meal as served to the Y Class passengers requesting same; or is the Kosher meal any better (as in Up****ed )?

I was wondering if the vendor that BA uses for their food service prepares different 'special' meals based on the cabin class?

Thanks for the great sage counsel offered here on the BA Flyertalk Board.

"zoosh"
</font>
ex jfk the food is a bit better, larger portions and served on real plates.
ex lhr the kosher food you will be served is the best kosher food you can get in the sky! it is provided by a company called hermalis and for this reason when i am flying and have a choice of sitting in j for one segment, the west bound or the east bound, even if the east bound flight is a red eye i still choose to fly the west bound flight in j bec the meals are excellent.

my last ex-lhr flight in j served duck and i have had a decent size stake in the past. you wont be dissapointed
Old Apr 19, 2004, 1:23 am

bump,
just wanted to know how your food was, if you have already taken the flight
Old Apr 19, 2004, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by zoosh
Altho' the kosher meal sounds a bit better in J, the lacto-vegetarian meal in J is pretty horrible and seems to be identical (which nicer plates) to the Y service.

I flew back from SFO on Friday with my partner (who's vegetarian) and watched what she was offered. Mercifully, she's been subjected to BA's special meals before and asked what the main meal was before it was heated. The answer was "some kind of chickpea and lentil-ly thing" from the staff. Thankfully, one of the courses on the normal menu was vegetarian pasta...

That didn't stop her from foolishly taking the vegetarian special meal starter tho'. Inedible grilled and soggy peppers and aubergines on a bed of some kind of pulse. Tasteless and quite revolting (I ate some out of curiousity).

From what I can see, BA often just default to a vegan meal when you order vegetarian these days. Yum.

Scott...
Old Apr 19, 2004, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Kosher = no shellfish

I often order the Kosher meal as I am extremely allergic to shellfish. I find that it is often higher quality than the general run of airline food. I have posted this idea often enough that I suspect many shellfish allergic people are ordering Kosher. Perhaps an increase in demand will result in an increase is quality!

Twice on BA flights in economy LGW-DFW both meal alternatives had shellfish. Are they out of their minds? There is no logic in this when someone could have their FIRST shellfish reaction mid-trip over the Atlantic!!!
Old Apr 19, 2004, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Talking Update on Club World Kosher Meal Service

Originally Posted by azmmza
bump,
just wanted to know how your food was, if you have already taken the flight
We just returned, this past weekend, from our 17 day stay in Israel, and it is worth taking out a minute to update on our Kosher Meal Experience(s).

Overall, we found the Special Kosher Meal offerings in Club World to be substantially enhanced ^ over the regular Kosher grub served in World Traveller

The portion sizes and presentation are greatly "enhanced" (now this is the correct true usage for this word) when flying in Club World.

All of the dishes and glasses are brand new to meet certain religious requirements for those who keep Kosher. The food trays are doubled wrapped and already self-contain the cloth table cloths and napkins. Utensils are still plastic, but the regular Club World meals also featured plastic cutlery.

Lunch and Dinner Meals usually featured a smoked fish appetizer such as smoked salmon (lox), smoked sable and/or baked salmon.

The Hot Entrees were pretty good and were usually chicken or fish and the usual lamb is served out of LHR.

Small individual splits of Kosher Wine were made available and we were amazed that the Cabin Staff were specifically trained to inquire as to whether the Passenger wished to open the wine bottle or let the cabin crew do it. This is directly related to specific religious requirements for observant Orhtodox Jews and we were amazed that Waterside incorporated this sensitivity into Cabin Staff training. ^

We were Involuntarily Downgraded from Club World to Third World Traveller on the flight back from TLV - LHR

This will be the subject of new extensive thread where I will will rant; once I calm down and have the time to write it.

I am also first trying to make space in my back yard for the Palm Tree that I will be receiving!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.