Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LMAO! FREE EC memberships without a flight???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2003, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I decided to try and enroll "someone" on the EC enrollment site, I entered a flight I "might" have that person take in august and was told that if my enrollment was accepted I'd receive an email...

And within 10 seconds I received:

Welcome to the British Airways Executive Club, and thank you for choosing to fly with us.

Your Membership Number is : XXXXXXXX

You can start enjoying the benefits and rewards of membership straight away.

SO... IF you feel like joining by all means go ahead, there are no checks in place and after last weekend I don't feel like anyone owes BA any respect anyway...

Old Jul 21, 2003, 9:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
and after last weekend I don't feel like anyone owes BA any respect anyway...

</font>
Hmmm, interesting..what happened last weekend, Scott ?
Old Jul 21, 2003, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think he's referring to the complete snafu at LHR when BA check-in and baggage staff went on strike.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 9:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
and after last weekend I don't feel like anyone owes BA any respect anyway..</font>
I cannot believe my eyes. Is this something that the great Scott C would reduce to writing so that all on Flyertalk can see!!!

Scott: Maybe now you might be interested in taking a Jaguar Test Drive? For a small fee I can get a Post Office in Tonga to back-date the postmark so that you can retroactively get the 10,000 miles!
Old Jul 21, 2003, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zoosh:
I cannot believe my eyes. Is this something that the great Scott C would reduce to writing so that all on Flyertalk can see!!!

Scott: Maybe now you might be interested in taking a Jaguar Test Drive? For a small fee I can get a Post Office in Tonga to back-date the postmark so that you can retroactively get the 10,000 miles!
</font>
Even the best of the BA defenders can't defend what they pulled off this weekend. As someone who's been stuck in similar situations at LHR I know what it's like and feel sorry for everyone stuck there. It doesn't matter who's fault it is, in a well oiled company things like this don't happen and if it continues or happens again the end of BA will be close.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This technique was suggested in another thread, but we all poo-poohed it. OK - they've given out the combination to the safe, but the jewels are still there. You shouldn't have been able to do it, but so far no foul. Now ....

Presume your "friend" is wannaflyforless from the other thread. He could now quickly dump in all his DC miles, other CC miles, etc., and take an award flight. Then he cancels the refundable ticket you set up for him. Will it work?

What happens if you just cancel the flight? Do they cancel your EC membership? Would they go after him for fraud?

I'm tempted to go back and try the Diner's Club back door, which you assured me would not work, either.

Edited to get the names right!

[This message has been edited by BigLar (edited 07-21-2003).]
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BigLar:
This technique was suggested in another thread, but we all poo-poohed it. OK - they've given out the combination to the safe, but the jewels are still there. You shouldn't have been able to do it, but so far no foul. Now ....

Presune your "friend" is barefoot from the other thread. He could now quickly dump in all his DC miles, other CC miles, etc., and take an award flight. Then he cancels the refundable ticket you set up for him. Will it work?

What happens if you just cancel the flight? Do they cancel your EC membership? Would they go after him for fraud?

I'm tempted to go back and try the Diner's Club back door, which you assured me would not work, either.
</font>
From what I see they don't even check the upcoming flight details...

Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:23 am

Programs: Executive Club :-)
Flight checks online at the moment are sporadic to say the least, should all be sorted out by the middle of august. If you take out an amex card in the UK scheme then you can open a membership and if you want to join an existing household account but dont have a membership then you can have one. There are many ways to get into the EC without having a points qualifying flight. With regard to booking a full fare ticket getting a membership and then cancelling the flight, you can do that as well and your membership will stay active. I didn't realise that so many people want to join the EC now!
Old Jul 27, 2003, 12:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BigLar:

</font>
They couldn't from what I can tell, when you go to sign up ba.com states:

All you need to do to join the Executive Club is book or fly a qualifying flight and complete the details on this online form. To complete the application form you will require:

&gt; Your qualifying British Airways flight number
&gt; The date of the qualifying flight
&gt; The departure airport

A qualifying flight is one in full fare economy or above.

I think that the OR is a very important bit. If it had said AND then that would be a different matter altogether.

I'm no legal expert but I would imagine that would be the angle that could be taken...

Worthless
Old Jul 27, 2003, 2:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Maws22:
...With regard to booking a full fare ticket getting a membership and then cancelling the flight, you can do that as well and your membership will stay active... </font>
The account stays active and miles are yours if you do this.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 4:53 pm

So book your F to SYD, open an EC account and refund thew fare. The miles stay credited to the account? I thought that the miles did not get credited until you flew...? Have I picked this up wrong?
Old Jul 28, 2003, 11:39 am

Sorry could have phrased that better. If you open an account that way then any miles that you actually EARN in the normal way won't be taken away. The account won't just be closed. Hope that's a bit clearer.

[This message has been edited by Maws22 (edited 07-28-2003).]
Old Jul 28, 2003, 5:30 pm

Thanks a million.Just enrolled my brother in law who had a DC account.Made a reservation which will cancel in 48 hours.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by argent00:
Thanks a million.Just enrolled my brother in law who had a DC account.Made a reservation which will cancel in 48 hours.</font>
Next time don't even bother to make the reservation, it only takes more time and probably costs BA more trouble than needed...
Old Feb 22, 2004, 1:05 am

does this still work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.