Wiki Posts
Search

Silly Guy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2004, 5:34 am
dnw
Original Poster

Silly Guy

My other half just sent me this, just goes to show all of our countries share in the quota of idiots!

(P.S. I think Brazil's retaliatory policy is fantastic)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">2nd American Jailed for Obscene Gesture in Brazil
By REUTERS

Published: February 7, 2004
Filed at 10:15 a.m. ET

SAO PAULO, Brazil (Reuters) - The second American in a month was arrested while entering Brazil for making an obscene gesture while being photographed by an immigration official, police said on Saturday.

Federal police in Foz do Iguacu on Brazil's border with Argentina and Paraguay said retired U.S. banker Douglas Allan Skolnick, 56, was jailed overnight for flipping his middle finger in a photo now required to be taken of all U.S. tourists entering Brazil.

Brazil began fingerprinting and photographing Americans entering the country in January after the U.S. government imposed a similar process on foreigners, except for those from 27 mostly European countries.

``Mr. Skolnick went before the judge this morning and opted to take the public prosecutor's offer that he pay a 15,000 real fine ($5,000) to avoid prosecution,'' said officer Marcos Koren of the Foz do Iguacu federal police.

Skolnick, who came into Brazil on a charter flight with 91 other tourists -- mostly American -- from Chile on Friday, is being held in his hotel room under police guard until he pays the fine, said Koren. He will then be free to leave Brazil.

Skolnick declined to comment.

On Jan. 14, an American Airlines pilot was arrested upon entry into Brazil via Sao Paulo, after flipping his finger in a photo. American Airlines paid a fine nearly $13,000 to free the pilot. </font>
[This message has been edited by dnw (edited Feb 08, 2004).]
Old Feb 8, 2004, 5:46 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:
My other half just sent me this, just goes to show all of our countries share in the quota of idiots!

(P.S. I think Brazil's retaliatory policy is fantastic)

</font>
TIT for TAT and I agree. If they don't like it, then tough. That's what was the US's attitude when everyone else complained.

I'd like to know if anyone has stuck their fingers up when having their photo taking when entering the US? I'm sure it probably would of involved a jail sentance and afterwards deportation.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 2:06 pm

I think this topic will be closed soon.

But while we are still trading I will throw in this little quip from a related story about an AA pilot doing the same thing. Quoted from USA Today.

"The pilot, Dale Robin Hersh, lifted his middle finger while undergoing the new security process at Sao Paulo's Guarulhos International Airport, said federal prosecutor Matheus Baraldi Magnani.
&lt;SNIP&gt;
American Airlines spokeswoman Martha Pantin said the incident was the result of a misunderstanding.

"The company apologizes to the Brazilian government, the airport authorities, the police or anyone else who may have perceived anything they believe to have been disrespectful," Pantin said."

Anybody else out there (except, by the looks of it, everyone employed by AA) deem this gesture anything but disrespectful???

Old Feb 8, 2004, 2:37 pm
dnw
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by adamwebster:
I think this topic will be closed soon.</font>
Why, its closely related to a thread ('Silly Girl') thats closely related to BA... pretty good going for the BA board!

...and we all managed to stay grown up on the 'Q for the loo' thread so if it does go down that route, I trust we will here too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.