Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

List of improvements to passenger facilities at Heathrow Terminal 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2004, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Improvements to passenger facilities at Heathrow Terminal 1

New Premium Check-in

British Airways' brand new Premium Check-in facility at London Heathrow Terminal 1 is now open. You can escape the busy airport check-in area and speed through formalities in a new, bright, calm oasis designed for British Airways travellers.

Premium Check-in is open to:

· International FIRST and Club World passengers · Club Europe passengers
· Gold and Silver Executive Club members travelling outside of the UK

Simply follow the signs to 'British Airways Premium Check-in (Zone R)'. Special facilities include:

8 Self-Service Check-in Kiosks
21 Traditional Check-in Desks
Dedicated ticket desk
Travelex currency exchange
Dedicated check-in area for FIRST passengers and Gold Executive Club members
Dedicated Security/passport control

New Arrivals Lounge
Situated on the Departures level on the link bridge between Terminals 1 and 2. Dedicated to FIRST, Club World and Gold Executive Club Members, the new lounge includes:

· 15 Shower suites
· Combiz area
· Sanctuary
· Smoking room
· Full breakfast service

New Departures Lounge
Exclusively for FIRST, Club World, Club Europe and Gold and Silver Executive Club Members, the new departures Terraces lounge includes:

Complimentary spa treatments:
Our Molton Brown Travel Spa available for FIRST and Club World Travellers
Larder:
Your customers can help themselves to light snacks as when they want
Combiz centre:
This combined business and communications centre has everything you need for last mimute business demands
World Wine Bars:
Stocked with a wide, refined selection of wines from around the world
Travelex:
Currency exchange for traveller's cheques and other financial services
Sanctuary:
A quiet, mobile-free rest area
World Duty Free shop opening Spring 2004
10 shower suites
Smoking Room

New departures FIRST lounge opening March 2004
As well as the new Terraces Lounge, British Airways FIRST and Gold Executive Club members can relax or work in the comfortable, elegant surroundings of the new FIRST lounge.
Facilities include:

Champagne Bar
Pre-flight dining
Business Centre
Smoking Room
Food Servery
Spa treatments in our Molton Brown Travel Spa for those travelling FIRST
Old Feb 3, 2004, 9:05 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Hmmm.... FIRST lounge from March.

Cutting it a bit fine for my JNB trip on 22 March then....
Old Feb 3, 2004, 5:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Hi Scott. Thaks for the info.

Apart from the First lounge is the other lounges open?

We go out on honeymoon on the 29th Feb to DXB in Club. We are coming into T1 around 5.30pm from EDI and out from T4 around 9.30pm. We were hoping to have a MB treatment and wondered if T1 MB would be less busy?

Cheers

Alan and Louise
Old Feb 3, 2004, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wudy15:
We were hoping to have a MB treatment and wondered if T1 MB would be less busy</font>
Just a thought but they might not let you get a massage in the T1 Spa if your flight is out of T4.

Have a great honeymoon
Old Apr 20, 2004, 12:16 pm

Location?

Hi --

I was wondering where the Terraces lounge in T1 is located (did a search, but only found information for T4).

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I'm not sure how you get there if you are checking in at the BA Premium check-in area as that has its own security line

If you are passing through the regular security lines you can get there by turning right once you pass through. Carry on past where the terminal opens out to your left, and then where it opens out to your right you will notice a Tumi shop over to your right hand side and the doors to the EC Lounge are over in far corner beside it. It is well signposted

Alternatively, can my directions and follow the map http://www.baa.com/main/airports/sho...opping_map.gif

Last edited by fbgdavidson; Apr 20, 2004 at 12:46 pm Reason: found a map!
Old Apr 20, 2004, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
The premium check in area security leads through into a duty free shop. Turn right out of the shop and the Terraces lounge in a couple of minutes away slightly off to the right. There are signs fixed to the ceiling in the terminal pointing the way.

I am not yet sure where the entrance to the F lounge is.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 1:19 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
As you enter the lounge area the first lounge is on the very left side.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
The premium check in area security leads through into a duty free shop. Turn right out of the shop and the Terraces lounge in a couple of minutes away slightly off to the right. There are signs fixed to the ceiling in the terminal pointing the way.

Good to see that BAA are not missing out on the chance to install a few more duty free shops - I'm intrigued by the reference above to there being plans for a shop INSIDE the lounge!

They'll have immigration selling passport covers and newspapers beore long if the retail expansion continues!
Old Apr 20, 2004, 5:08 pm
dnw

Originally Posted by House
I'm intrigued by the reference above to there being plans for a shop INSIDE the lounge!
There always was... way back before the current makeover started. It was in behind where the computers used to be in the Club Europe lounge, those with really long memories will remember that one side used to be CE (now the Terraces) the other Executive Club (I assume this is where the F lounge and MB Spa has gone) if memory serves...

Last edited by dnw; Apr 20, 2004 at 5:11 pm
Old Apr 20, 2004, 6:09 pm

Thanks, everyone, for all your help!! As usual, you can count on this board to get all the info!! Thanks again.

Lootsy
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:31 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
I flew LHR-HKG last week in F, the lounge (C and F) was depressingly empty - and I got a massage at the Molton Brown Spa without any problems previously encountered at T4. The spa and shower suites were basically empty! The spa is situated on the first class side of the lounge (on the left) after passing through the "can I check your boarding pass" desk.

So, my question is, are business class passengers allowed in the Molton Brown Spa? Or is there a separate spa for F class?
Old Apr 21, 2004, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I used the new R Zone premium check-in yesterday and it was fantastic. There was absolutely no-one waiting to go through security ahead of me! (6am, admittedly!)

I am tempted to suggest that even Blue card Economy T1 passengers may want to go through security in Zone R. You can get your boarding card from the machines in Zone R and - since security screening is operated by BAA and not BA - I doubt they are too bothered about whether or not you are a Silver / Gold card holder or flying Club.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by RJB
I used the new R Zone premium check-in yesterday and it was fantastic. There was absolutely no-one waiting to go through security ahead of me! (6am, admittedly!)

I am tempted to suggest that even Blue card Economy T1 passengers may want to go through security in Zone R. You can get your boarding card from the machines in Zone R and - since security screening is operated by BAA and not BA - I doubt they are too bothered about whether or not you are a Silver / Gold card holder or flying Club.
It is really incredible and I rather like the idea of the screened off F area. However, one does have to run the guantlet of the BA hachet ladies and I rather doubt that a non-premium Blue pax would get through into the area at all.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC
New Arrivals Lounge
Situated on the Departures level on the link bridge between Terminals 1 and 2. Dedicated to FIRST, Club World and Gold Executive Club Members, the new lounge includes:

· 15 Shower suites
· Combiz area
· Sanctuary
· Smoking room
· Full breakfast service
Used the new arrivals lounge at T1 on Saturday on the way back from SFO. Took us a while to find as there's truly horrible signposting from the arrivals hall. Basically, go upstairs to departures and head for the far end of T1 (towards T2). Leave the hall via the last set of doors and hang a left. The arrivals lounge is right at the end of the corridor (past the premium check-in). Not as convenient as the T4 arrivals lounge, which is an easy walk from arrivals. It was pretty much empty when we arrived - the staff looked pleased to see someone at last.

The lounge is a little bigger than T4 but on one level. Very comfy and they had the usual cooked breakfast/cereal on offer when we arrived (about 11am). Didn't use the showers this time but it looked like exactly the same arrangement as T4.

The only thing that didn't work was that the network was down on the combiz PCs - looked like it might have been that way for a while.

So, in all, very nice but a bit of a faff to visit with a luggage cart (as you have to use the elevators and kick your way thru' T1 departures).

One other thing about T1 long-haul arrivals. The baggage carousels are still sized for domestic short-haul loads. We had a full 747 on Saturday and it got really congested on the carousel after about 5 minutes. Thankfully, our bags arrived reasonably quickly but I can imagine this being a real nightmare if your bags are off towards the back.

I'll be booking a shuttle leg to MAN next time.

Scott...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.