Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MFU Points / Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2004, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
MFU Points / Miles

Sorry if this already covered elsewhere, but on an MFU booking are points / miles awarded on the class paid for or the class to which the miles have upgraded one.

If the latter, there is effectively no mileage cost for an MFU LHR-JFK from WT+ to J during the triple miles promo (with Gold card miles awarded). Can it be that one can effectively fly LHR/JFK/LHR in J for only £450 and no miles ??
Old Jan 23, 2004, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Points and miles are based on the class paid.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 7:54 am

I am pretty sure, from what I have read on this forum, that you get miles and tier points for class paid for (rather than class travelled)...

Makes sense, but definitely a shame...

Boo
Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:01 am

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
Definitely - class paid
Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
As a PS, has anyone actually booked the paid flights with the shareholders discount and then upgraded via the EC ?
Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:22 am
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frequentflyer99:
As a PS, has anyone actually booked the paid flights with the shareholders discount and then upgraded via the EC ?</font>
No, but I have it in writing from the company secretary that it can be done and that any denial from EC staff should be referred back to her...
Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:52 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frequentflyer99:
... there is effectively no mileage cost for an MFU LHR-JFK from WT+ to J during the triple miles promo ..</font>
Ah, for the good old days! In the NAEC, you used to get points and miles for the class traveled when you did a MFU (they didn't have a fare bucket for it, so booked it into D/A). Gold memebers used to get a once-annual half-price redemption (maybe they still do, but I think they've quietly enhanced it). So once a year you could upgrade to J for 20k miles, and earn 20k miles flying it.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Sorry if this already covered elsewhere, but on an MFU booking are points / miles awarded on the class paid for or the class to which the miles have upgraded one.

If the latter, there is effectively no mileage cost for an MFU LHR-JFK from WT+ to J during the triple miles promo (with Gold card miles awarded). Can it be that one can effectively fly LHR/JFK/LHR in J for only £450 and no miles ??
</font>
The triple miles T&C do say:-
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">4. A Qualifying Flight is a full fare return or corporate negotiated nett fare return on a flight operated by BA in the following cabin and booking classes: Club World (J, C, D, I); Club Europe (J, C, D, I). Travel on franchisees will qualify, except for British Mediterranean Airways Limited. ...
5. This promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, promotion or deal, including but without limitation to: (i) redemption bookings;</font>
Isn't MFU treated as a redemption and booked into U class (ie not a qualifying class either)?
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:06 am
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Globaliser:
Isn't MFU treated as a redemption and booked into U class (ie not a qualifying class either)?</font>
Inventory for the upgrade is taken from U class but the paid portion of the ticket is still in W/T class.... the system now properly handles 'dual' booking classes for exactly this kind of award, thats why they post to your account correctly.

In any case, W/T doesn't qualify if you look at the paid portion and U doesn't qualify if you look at the 'seated' portion.... so no triple miles either way!
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Pleb
Having tried to upgrade a shareholder booking this very afternoon, there apparently has been a very recent e-mail to the reservations team stating that as they regard the shareholder discount as an "offer", it cannot be combined with MFU.

The Exec club team thought this was incorrect advice from reservations, but went away and double checked and told me it is now definitely the case.

Bit of an odd way to treat shareholders I think.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 12:34 pm
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by senorbob:
Having tried to upgrade a shareholder booking this very afternoon, there apparently has been a very recent e-mail to the reservations team stating that as they regard the shareholder discount as an "offer", it cannot be combined with MFU.
</font>
If you haven't already confirmed your plans, perhaps you'd like to call back again and try quoting the following:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Mr Williams, the answer is yes, if you purchase a ticket then you can upgrade it using Miles. We agree the terms and conditions are unclear and we are at present briefing agents separately on this, therefore depending when you make your booking you may get the answer as no, please ask them to contact myself for clarification.

Regards
Sarah Billington
Manager Shareholder Services </font>
From Ms Billington, no less (the star of the BA Shareholders page).

There is a big difference between a 'special offer' to all and benefit to part-owners of the company... if they persue not only this line but the recent exclusion from bonus miles promos, they will have a lot of shareholders, myself included!

Shall we plan a rebellion for the next AGM?

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited Jan 23, 2004).]
Old Jan 23, 2004, 1:13 pm
dnw

FWIW I have fired off an email to Ms Billington asking for further clarification and also *****ing about the T&Cs of the bonus miles promotions excluding shareholders... I'll post the results here.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:37 pm

...on an MFU booking are points / miles awarded on the class paid for or the class to which the miles have upgraded one.</font>
You are awarded miles/tier points based on the commercial ticket that you purchase.

Someone already mentioned that the old MFU's (pre 01JUL03) were booked in the revenue class of service that you are travelling in. Passengers were getting miles/tier points for the cabin that they travelling because of this.

There are now booked in the award class of service that you are travelling in.

There are "SK" keywords that are placed in the PNR when going through the MFU ticketing performa to ensure you get the correct mileage/tier points.

Example of what the keywords look line in the PNR:

SK RDUG BA HK1 WT JU/S2

W: Cabin upgraded from.
T: Class upgraded from.
J: Cabin upgraded to.
U: Class upgraded to.

[This message has been edited by BRITISH AIRWAYS USA (edited Jan 23, 2004).]
Old Jan 24, 2004, 4:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> You are awarded miles/tier points based on the commercial ticket that you purchase. </font>
It's a shame that EC reservations are patchy on their knowledge of this. I booked an MFU yesterday, and on enquiring about whether I'd earn miles on the WT+ fare purchased, I was told "it's not possible to earn and burn miles in the same transation".

Fortunately a bit of digging in ba.com and on FT confirmed otherwise - but again it shows how the answer you get from BA depends on who you speak to...

For the record, an open jaw out to Phoenix and in from SFO cost just under £600 - great deal given that the J class flights are £3,300!

[This message has been edited by Shuttle-Bored (edited Jan 24, 2004).]
Old Feb 3, 2004, 12:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

On the subject of MFU and award travel being booked into a common class U. I am finding that the EC does not automatically award the T fare miles, bonus or tier points on MFU travel (T to J). Instead, the sector is listed as ineligible fare, which of course it isn't. Follow up phone call is required to set things straight.

Anyone else affected in this way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.