Wiki Posts
Search

Booking flights from Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2004, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Booking flights from Portugal

Hi,

I'm new here, but have spent some time since registering at having a read of the topics and there certainly is a lot of useful information on this board!!

Anyway, I was looking booking a flight:

Lis>Lhr>Iad and back

If for any reason I miss the Lis>lhr portion am I still able to board at LHR and continue my flight to IAD, or do I actually have to fly that segment?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 3:29 am

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
You have to fly the segment or pay the extra for starting in London

[This message has been edited by marklondon101 (edited Jan 19, 2004).]
Old Jan 19, 2004, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
There are many uncertainties in life. Unfortunately this is not one of them. To get the benefit of the cheap fare you have to fly the first leg.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 3:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by paul0000:
Lis&gt;Lhr&gt;Iad and back

If for any reason I miss the Lis&gt;lhr portion am I still able to board at LHR and continue my flight to IAD, or do I actually have to fly that segment?
</font>
Paul

Welcome to FT!

You have to fly the original segment but you could always 'miss' the return flight LHR-LIS, saving you a bit of useless travel (unless of course, you really want those miles!)
Old Jan 19, 2004, 4:09 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
You have to fly the original segment but you could always 'miss' the return flight LHR-LIS, saving you a bit of useless travel</font>
Watch out for your bags - it can be tricky sometimes to persuade the check-in agent to have them delivered to LHR only, rather than LIS.

Of course, this isn't a problem with hand baggage only.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 4:32 am
Suspended

I'm always worried about that but no one has questioned my intention to have them 'short-checked' to LHR.

My back-up story is that I want someone to take them home for me before I go on holiday at the end of my trip.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
I'm always worried about that but no one has questioned my intention to have them 'short-checked' to LHR.

My back-up story is that I want someone to take them home for me before I go on holiday at the end of my trip.
</font>
An alternative is to ensure that your departure for the final leg to Portugal is not out from the same London airport which you are flying into. Thus if coming into LHR (say from HKG or JFK), make sure your final leg is to Faro which departs from LGW. If coming into LGW make sure the final leg is to LIS from LHR. There is no significant price difference (perhaps 10 or 20 Euros). It is often easier to get the I class seats to FAO than to LIS in any event.

Old Jan 19, 2004, 4:41 am
Suspended

FF99...a very good point!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 6:59 am

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
What would happen if you booked tickets from Portugal. Didn't bother with the first leg. Then try to check-in online or at a SS kiosk. Would you be asked to go over to the counter?
Old Jan 19, 2004, 7:41 am

Programs: Mucci Gold Class
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by marklondon101:
What would happen if you booked tickets from Portugal. Didn't bother with the first leg. Then try to check-in online or at a SS kiosk. Would you be asked to go over to the counter?</font>
Yes, and your credit card would get a great deal heavier.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frequentflyer99
:
An alternative is to ensure that your departure for the final leg to Portugal is not out from the same London airport which you are flying into. Thus if coming into LHR (say from HKG or JFK), make sure your final leg is to Faro which departs from LGW. If coming into LGW make sure the final leg is to LIS from LHR. There is no significant price difference (perhaps 10 or 20 Euros). It is often easier to get the I class seats to FAO than to LIS in any event.</font>
Another alternative is to book the connecting flight the next day (so long as you are within the 24 hour stopover window). Then you'll clearly need to pick up your bags in London.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the responses,

I am also taking a guess that back to back tickets are also not tolerated any more by airlines????

Thx.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 8:24 am
Suspended

Do you mean back to back or nesting.

Nesting is perfectly legal, and many forms of back to backing are tolerated because they are difficult to catch, but if you do it regularly, you'll probably get in deep poo.

Check the US airline forums (or fora) for this,
Old Jan 19, 2004, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks LondonElite.

Nesting is not a term I'm familiar with...

I was under the impression that back to back to avoid a saturday night stopover wasn't really tolerated (although is legal).

There is a big difference in the cost of the flights I'm looking at, much cheaper with a sat night but I don't really want to stay over!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 9:13 am
Suspended

Nesting is when you have a complete return flight within an existing trip, but as a separate itinerary.

Example:

In LHR you buy a LHR-LIS-LHR, but you really want to do this trip twice. Say it costs £300 from LHR.

Once you get to LIS, you buy a LIS-LHR-LIS ticket where the return to LIS is before the original ticket's flight to LHR. In other words, your outbound on this flight is your first return to LHR. Say this ticket costs you £200.

Finally, you take your final flight to LHR (from your original ticket). Presto, you have two LHR-LIS return flights for £500 rather than £600.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC
I've done nested flights from the UK to LIS for ages- I ususally get a full fare ticket from LIS to the UK at the end of the Christmas holidays and usually use it to go back home the following Christmas, but it's available to get back there at short notice in an emergency. In between I'll go back to visit the in-laws a couple of times or, for almost a year when I was working on rotation, every 2 weeks. No-one's complained yet....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.