Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When were the grey document folders given out on Concorde?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2004, 2:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Just before Christmas I was visiting with friends in New York when we then subject of what a hassle flying between the US and the UK now was came up.

Our host was a reasonably frequent Concorde flyer (once a month or so for the better part of a decade) who was deeply disappointed at Concorde's demise and the fact that his commutes were just not as much fun now.

He disappeared into his study and came out with a heap of things that he said were just cluttering up his drawers...did our (2-year-old) daughter want some stationary to scribble on while we ate? Huh?

He gave us a stack of (unopened) Concorde gifts, including some titanium Concorde pens, Smythson stationary, diaries, flight certificates, notepads, marketing material, etc.

The most unusual thing was a grey 'leatherette' document wallet that snaps shut with Concorde stationary, pens and some marketing brochures and postcards inside. Does anyone know when these were given out? It has the old (Landor) Speedmark logo.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold 20y (89-09)

Hi, I still have mine from November 1997!

cheers
TLA
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anything like this?

http://www.concordecollectables.com/...ligh_kits.html
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:23 pm

No, it's not like that, it's grey rather than green. I was given one of these several years back, no idea where it's gone now. It was before the new livery was introduced.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
They were around in May 1996 as well, placed in seatback pockets before the flight.

I take it these are the ones with the red inside, the British Airways stitching almost. A local Concorde pilot got mine for me along with a load of other quite unusual stuff such as all the in flight documentation and fuel stuff and Concorde Jeppesens.

Don't expect to see it on ebay anytime soon

[This message has been edited by fbgdavidson (edited Jan 18, 2004).]
Old Jan 18, 2004, 5:59 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
The most unusual thing was a grey 'leatherette' document wallet that snaps shut with Concorde stationary, pens and some marketing brochures and postcards inside. Does anyone know when these were given out? It has the old (Landor) Speedmark logo.</font>
To add another data point, my one and only Concorde flight was in January 1998 and I received the grey document wallet you referred to. Funnily enough I had it out last week for the first time in years because my travelling companions from that flight were having dinner at our house and we were discussing Concorde's demise!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 1:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the help chaps.

It is indeed the grey one with a burgundy coloured lining. It sounds like these were given out in the late 90s, although this doesn't square up with the hairstyles of the people profiles in one of the marketing brochures (distinctly late-80s).
Old Jan 19, 2004, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
Thanks for the help chaps.

It is indeed the grey one with a burgundy coloured lining. It sounds like these were given out in the late 90s, although this doesn't square up with the hairstyles of the people profiles in one of the marketing brochures (distinctly late-80s).
</font>
found on ebay
Old Jan 19, 2004, 5:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

That's the one...but mine has virgin contents.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">It was Made in England by AA Goold of Walsall, makers of fine leather goods</font>
...and not so fine I take it.

I see the big bids are out at £7.50!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's the one...but mine has virgin contents.

...and not so fine I take it.

I see the big bids are out at £7.50!
</font>
I have been looking at ebay from time to time, self valuation and all that, seeing if my assets will take me into the Sunday Times Rich List and those folders have been nearer £60 on occasions.

The F Anya BAgs seem to be selling pretty well, particularly the new ones, with contents often £50+
Old Jan 19, 2004, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I still have mine, which I think I rec'd in 1988 or 1989.

It was a nice gift.

I got it when TWA re-routed me from CDG-JFK by way of LHR on the Concorde, when there was a flight delay due to an equipment problem.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 8:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nologic:
when TWA re-routed me from CDG-JFK by way of LHR on the Concorde</font>
I'll bet that didn't happen a lot!
Old Jan 20, 2004, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
93&94 they were giving out this folder the complete one including the always nicked silver pen and signed flight can go for over £60

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.