Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

MFU: when is the "lowest " fare not the lowest...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2004, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs

I'm planning to use MFU on an LHR-ALA return in May and have a query that I'm sure the fare experts can handle in their sleep: if you use Fare Explorer for the lowest "straight" WT fare, you get a fare of c£590 - but if you go into the MFU section and say you want to u/g from the lowest WT fare (same flights, and this is a LONG way out for the ALA flights; I'd think they will currently be almost unbooked) you're quoted the best part of £800. Why? Guess these seats come from a different class/type/bucket/allocation but would be nice to know for sure.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 1:34 pm

It is because not all WT fares are eligable for upgarde. The fare that is displayed as the lowest WT fare would not be an eligable fare class.

[This message has been edited by jchand (edited Jan 04, 2004).]
Old Jan 4, 2004, 3:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fraisse10:
I'm sure the fare experts can handle this in their sleep: if you use Fare Explorer for the lowest "straight" WT fare, you get a fare of c£590 - but if you go into the MFU section and say you want to u/g from the lowest WT fare (same flights, and this is a LONG way out for the ALA flights; I'd think they will currently be almost unbooked) you're quoted the best part of £800. Why? Guess these seats come from a different class/type/bucket/allocation but would be nice to know for sure.</font>
When you use MFU from the Traveller cabin, the lowest fare you may use is in "H" class of service. H is the third highest Traveller booking class (only B and Y are higher in the economy cabin). That £590 fare is a discounted (although not really) non-upgradeable fare. With the £800 fare, you are able to use MFU. It's actually probably in the B class because I'm willing to bet that there is not a fare basis starting with "H" on that market, although I might be wrong.

Rgds,
BA USA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.