Wiki Posts
Search

4EF or 5EF

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2003, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
4EF or 5EF

Flying to Sydney tonight - which would you choose 4EF or 5EF (there's two of us)?
Old Dec 24, 2003, 2:25 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
4EF. Quieter. Row 5 is too close to the galley.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Agreed. 4 if possible (they often hold this row back as it has bassinet). You can request it though.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 3:20 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
4EF or 1AK.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 4:40 am

Programs: Mucci - Princesse Aerienne
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BA Loyal:
Agreed. 4 if possible (they often hold this row back as it has bassinet)..</font>
On BA row 4 on a 747 is NOT a bassinet position. Recommend 1A and 1K, then 4E/F. 5E/F annoying as the tiolet occupied light on the ceiling keeps catching your eye, as well as being closer to the galley. HTH
Old Dec 24, 2003, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
"4EF may also be held back for assignment due to being the bassinet position."

This is from www.seatexpert.com

Old Dec 24, 2003, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
Thanks for the advice - moved from 5EF to 4EF using OLCI
Old Dec 24, 2003, 6:16 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Purserette:
On BA row 4 on a 747 is NOT a bassinet position. Recommend 1A and 1K, then 4E/F. 5E/F annoying as the tiolet occupied light on the ceiling keeps catching your eye, as well as being closer to the galley. HTH</font>

I also think row 4 are held back for basinet positions like row 1. They always appear greyed out on ITN etc.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
4EF is much better, but you might want to consider 1AK: they are very close together, and the windows are nice, both for looking out and for storage space beside your chair. Even 2AK is good for that.

Just my opinion.
Old Dec 24, 2003, 11:34 am

Programs: Mucci - Princesse Aerienne
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CT-UK:

I also think row 4 are held back for basinet positions like row 1. They always appear greyed out on ITN etc.
</font>
Perhaps, but they are NOT bassinet positions - they are 1A and 1K. There is no room to put a drink and a book in 4EF, without getting the table out - let alone a baby!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 24, 2003, 11:49 am

I Disagree. 5 E/F are much better in my opinion. More discreet service. No-one looking at the back of your head. Greater aisle room.

Sim and I are travelling LHR-SFO on 2nd January. The cabin had reached the pre-assigned seat limit, wso e had to have people moved for us to get two seats together. Regretably the seats they have for us are 4 E/F.

Old Dec 28, 2003, 10:21 pm

Programs: LH Miles&More Senator, KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Bronze
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Purserette:
Perhaps, but they are NOT bassinet positions - they are 1A and 1K. There is no room to put a drink and a book in 4EF, without getting the table out - let alone a baby!!!!!!!!</font>
I'll vouch for that...just came off BA 16 SYD-SIN with a SCREAMING little darling in 1AK. Baby rarely stopped fussing.

I don't get it. Parents were uncomfortable, F pax were uncomfortable (PI$$ED OFF, actually). Maybe I would feel differently if I were a parent, but I don't think premium cabins are any place for infants, IMHO.

Back on topic, we are recent converts to benefits of 1AK (used to be 5EF'ers). We find 4/5EF way too open, with people walking past on both sides + galley noise.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:59 pm

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kiltboys:
I'll vouch for that...just came off BA 16 SYD-SIN with a SCREAMING little darling in 1AK. Baby rarely stopped fussing.

I don't get it. Parents were uncomfortable, F pax were uncomfortable (PI$$ED OFF, actually). Maybe I would feel differently if I were a parent, but I don't think premium cabins are any place for infants, IMHO.

Back on topic, we are recent converts to benefits of 1AK (used to be 5EF'ers). We find 4/5EF way too open, with people walking past on both sides + galley noise.
</font>
I think we were on the same flight kiltboy. I was in seat 4A. Now I didn't see anyone in a kilt, that would have kept my mind on other things . I had a few moments when I though I could put that plastic spade to better use - on the parents.

Coming back was much more comfortable apart from the PRAT in front with a chip on his sholder. Flying in over Botany Bay he decides to swap seats to the other side, I only wish we hit a bit of turbulance, sorry but idiots like that make me mad. Perhaps they should hand out plastic spades to all passengers to use on annoying people.

[This message has been edited by GoldFlyer (edited Dec 29, 2003).]
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kiltboys:

</font>
There used to be a time when infants were expressly not allowed in the F cabin. I believe this was even on BA. But oh, how times have changed.
Old Dec 30, 2003, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In September, flew BA F YYZ-LHR. We originally had 5EF, but changed it (OLCI) to 4EF. I would have gone for 1AK (duhhh!) but they were not available as BA holds them back (bassinet and Premiums).

4EF seemed better for the two of us than 5EF. I'd take either pair for two travelling together (as long as they were romantically coupled - for two business partners, for example, who cares? ).

On the return flight, there were only 5 of us on board, and one of the couples (looked like husband/wife or husband/daughter) took 5EF though they could have taken either.

I don't think you can go far wrong with either choice.

Just my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.