Wiki Posts
Search

Concorde's coming home

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2003, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Location: I have embarrasingly little status but my wife thinks I am great
Concorde's coming home

In the unlikely event any other FTers will be at Filton, Bristol on Wednesday 26th to see Concorde come home to her place of birth (neatly side stepping the French issue) I will see you there.

I am still trying to find out if this will be her last ever flight.

Old Nov 21, 2003, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
My understanding is it will be.

Rest well, dear bird.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 11:51 am

*Still* a national disgrace! I've been by turns inconsolable and fuming ever since...
Old Nov 22, 2003, 8:18 am

I'll be there!

Where are you going to watch from? I'm still debating trying to get near Filton or just going and watching from the Downs. The grass at end of the runway by the A38 is going be *crazy* and I don't think I'll get near it unless I get there at 6am! The view through the fence on the road across to Cribbs isn't too good but might be an option.

Sad day but I'm glad I've managed to arrange a meeting in Bristol that day!

Jason
Old Nov 22, 2003, 11:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kovich:
In the unlikely event any other FTers will be at Filton, Bristol on Wednesday 26th to see Concorde come home to her place of birth (neatly side stepping the French issue) I will see you there.</font>
How can I get here from the M4 (near Heathrow), and how far is it? Can someone assist?

Thanks.
--Alex

[This message has been edited by ayb1 (edited Nov 22, 2003).]
Old Nov 22, 2003, 3:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ayb1:
How can I get here from the M4 (near Heathrow), and how far is it? Can someone assist?

Thanks.
--Alex

[This message has been edited by ayb1 (edited Nov 22, 2003).]
</font>

It's about 100 miles down the M4 from Heathrow.

Drive along the M4 until you get to the M4/M5/A38 junction and then follow the signs to Filton. The airport's about 3 miles from the motorway junction.

Jason
Old Nov 23, 2003, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
FYI, harvested from PPRuNe:-
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Rough translation of the NOTAM for the final flight:

Concorde G-BOAF Final Flight and Flypasts in Bristol area:

Departing Heathrow, estimated at 11.10, via English Channel, Landing Filton estimated at 12.42.

Inbound to Filton Concorde will leave controlled airspace at Compton (approximately 10 miles west of Reading), 250 knots, at 12.18

It will pass overhead Filton at 12.27, then continue west to the Severn estuary.

From there it will head down the Bristol side of the estuary and turn south to overfly Weston Supermare at 12.32 continuing east to overfly Bristol International at 12.34

Then it heads up to The Downs.

If it is landing on 27, it will go east to Cold Ashton (junction of A46 and A420), making a 180 degree turn to line up for landing.

Otherwise, if landing 09, it will go overhead Filton heading North then West 'over the M4' (tunnel!), making a 180 turn back east for landing.

Either approach it's estimated to land at around 12.42</font>
Can't vouch for accuracy, but hope this helps someone.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Location: I have embarrasingly little status but my wife thinks I am great
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by apx068:
I'll be there!

Where are you going to watch from? I'm still debating trying to get near Filton or just going and watching from the Downs. The grass at end of the runway by the A38 is going be *crazy* and I don't think I'll get near it unless I get there at 6am! The view through the fence on the road across to Cribbs isn't too good but might be an option.

Sad day but I'm glad I've managed to arrange a meeting in Bristol that day!

Jason
</font>
My father in law got four "tickets" to access Filton airport itself for the event so I will get a very good view. If I did not have tickets I would probably do what the local media is advising people to do and watch from the Downs.

Whatever happens, I hope you get a good view
Old Nov 25, 2003, 5:18 am

On a related note, I just saw a live video on TV this morning of the Concorde on a barge passing under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge here in New York. It will arrive at the Intrepid Air and Space Museum later today.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 2:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/3238674.stm

Looks like Les Brodie is in the driver's seat.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 2:49 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:

Looks like Les Brodie is in the driver's seat.
</font>
Makes a change from all the other shuttle flights 'Capt M.Bannister was at the controls'. I would have thought it fair that other pilots could have shared out the last flights but he seems to have snaffled them all apart from the Filton one.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 5:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by filberts sst:
Makes a change from all the other shuttle flights 'Capt M.Bannister was at the controls'. I would have thought it fair that other pilots could have shared out the last flights but he seems to have snaffled them all apart from the Filton one.</font>
Greedy bugger!
Old Nov 26, 2003, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Exec, BMI DC
Was sat in a very boring internal meeting today and whilst gazing out of the window (at 11.30am) I saw this sleek machine streak into the air like a scalded cat! - I work in Uxbridge....

'Bloody hell that's Concorde' and everyone turned to watch it - just goes to show that it will always turn heads, and get me into trouble at work!

Now thanks to the wonders of FT I know I wasn't dreaming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.