Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club World to EDI????

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2003, 5:22 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
I've read (and probably still got) all of Ian Rankin's books. Struggled a bit with "Resurrection Men" and put it down after a few attempts. Picked it up after a year and read it in three nights!

If you enjoy Iain Banks then you should enjoy Christopher Brookmyre. Very black humour. They describe him as a Scottish Carl Hiaasen.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 5:43 am
Lux

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
I've read (and probably still got) all of Ian Rankin's books. Struggled a bit with "Resurrection Men" and put it down after a few attempts. Picked it up after a year and read it in three nights!
</font>
Have you read the latest, 'A Question of Blood'. It's another belter. Having lived in the southside and Leith for a few years, I think that Rankin's fantastic at summing up the atmosphere of the place. Went to a reading of his recently and he thinks there are a few books left in Rebus yet but he is near retirement - then we may see a Siobhan Clarke series... And there will be a new TV series starting filming in January with a much better Rebus that John Hannah, whose name I forget

Sorry, huge Rankin fan here - at least three miles OT!
Old Sep 26, 2003, 5:50 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I used to wear a kilt! oh I had legs (still do according to some pax) then boys!

When I was a mini-kilt girl we used to do EDIs and GLAs in the 1-11. Full bar and hot meal served to every seat. Those c&appy old ovens and water heaters on the 1-11 used to drive us nuts.

I have read piles of Rebus, but my heart belongs to "Taggart". I wept buckets when Mike Jardine drowned. I know that it is not EDI before you all jump on me. The Biscuit (sorry Vognoscenti only beyond this point) used to live in Arundel so he was often on board on Mons and Fridays if I was on a GLA.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 5:56 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Lux:
Have you read the latest, 'A Question of Blood'. It's another belter.</font>
Got it a couple of weeks ago. Off on a bit of a trip this weekend and next week so may get time to read it. As an Edinburgh boy born and bred I can relate to most of the locations. Especially the pubs!

------------------
Gaza's oneworld & Star Alliance Round the World Information Pages - www.rtw-info.co.uk
Old Sep 26, 2003, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Oh, no I liked John Hannah (though never having read the books, may affect my perception of the character) as Rebus. And as Edinburgh was my Uni for four years liked spotting places I knew.

But I'm distraught. I gave up watching Taggert so never knew Jardine drowned he was cute!
Old Sep 26, 2003, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PUCCI GALORE:

When I was a mini-kilt girl we used to do EDIs and GLAs in the 1-11. Full bar and hot meal served to every seat. Those c&appy old ovens and water heaters on the 1-11 used to drive us nuts.
</font>
Pucci

DId you ever have anything to do with Dan Air? I remember my parents taking us to Menorca in Xmas 1978. We had to fly from Gatwick on a Dan Air 1-11. The memorable thing about the trip was that the pilot was a woman (maybe the ONLY women pilot in the UK at the time).

Her name was Yvonne Sintes (having married a Spanniard).

She flew the plane to Menorca and it stayed there for a week and then she flew it back.

I can still remember the looks of abject terror on the faces of the men when Yvonne came on and said "this is your captain speaking.."

[This message has been edited by edi-traveller (edited 09-26-2003).]
Old Sep 26, 2003, 9:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">posted by Lux:I think that Rankin's fantastic at summing up the atmosphere of the place.</font>
Very true, and hardly surprising given the amount of time he spents hanging around in pubs in the southside of EDI! When I lived there in my student days (not so long ago, I might add... ) and before I could afford to live in EH1, he would often be spotted in the bars along South Clerk Street or over in Marchmont. He once helped to jump start my old car, so I didn't begrudge the odd £4.99 for a paperback
Old Sep 26, 2003, 9:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
Pucci

DId you ever have anything to do with Dan Air? I remember my parents taking us to Menorca in Xmas 1978. We had to fly from Gatwick on a Dan Air 1-11. The memorable thing about the trip was that the pilot was a woman (maybe the ONLY women pilot in the UK at the time).

Her name was Yvonne Sintes (having married a Spanniard).

She flew the plane to Menorca and it stayed there for a week and then she flew it back.

I can still remember the looks of abject terror on the faces of the men when Yvonne came on and said "this is your captain speaking.."

[This message has been edited by edi-traveller (edited 09-26-2003).]
</font>
No Dearest, I was with British Caledonian - in those days Dan Dare did not have a very brilliant name. Idid fly with them on a couple of positionings back to LGW in their Elite Class and it was streets ahead of BA.

We did have a female Capt at BCAL and think that it must be the same person. She was a lovely lady and her name eludes me totally (bear in mind that BCAL became BA about 15 years ago).

Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
Very true, and hardly surprising given the amount of time he spents hanging around in pubs in the southside of EDI! When I lived there in my student days (not so long ago, I might add... ) and before I could afford to live in EH1, he would often be spotted in the bars along South Clerk Street or over in Marchmont. He once helped to jump start my old car, so I didn't begrudge the odd £4.99 for a paperback </font>
D@mn, the best I could do during my student days (within the last 10 years - just!) was Nigel Tranter prowling across the salt marsh at Aberlady Bay. But then we declined to live in the student ghetto that was Marchmont.

Old Sep 26, 2003, 11:07 am

Programs: AA 3MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
If you enjoy Iain Banks then you should enjoy Christopher Brookmyre. Very black humour. They describe him as a Scottish Carl Hiaasen.</font>
Aye, just picked up "A big boy did it and ran away" in Edinburgh Airport the other week....outstanding read !

BTW, re another post, I think John Hannah is great, but if you've read the Rebus books, he is just not old, beaten up and jaded enough to play Rebus.

South Side ? Nuh, virtually none of teh Rebus books set in yah land (sorry, student dormitories), he gets his bevvies in the Oxford, but most of the books are set in the places you don't really drive into...I used to, but mostly because I used to play and referee basketball games for years, and they were always held in school gyms in odd areas....the weirdest one being WHEC in Wester Hailes, had to watch out for tyre punctures in the car park from needles....but that was a long time ago.

Ok, so that is so far OT now that I think I am off any map.....

Old Sep 26, 2003, 1:36 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Last time I came back from Edinburgh a flat bed would have been most welcome. What next? Sleeper suits on LHR-MAN?
Old Sep 26, 2003, 3:37 pm
Lux

[This message has been edited by Lux (edited 09-26-2003).]
Old Sep 27, 2003, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PUCCI GALORE:
bear in mind that BCAL became BA about 15 years ago </font>
owned or merged?

I flew on a BCal Bistar LGW-ANU as late as 1998.

Old Sep 27, 2003, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
That won't have been BCal. IIRC, after BA acquired BR, BA continued the "Caledonian" name through the "Caledonian Airways" brand, but I think that that simply became the brand for the charter division which had been "British Airtours" - the two letter code "KT" was carried over into "Caledonian Airways".

Eventually, the Caledonian Airways brand was sold. But I haven't off the top of my head got any decent idea of when, or who to. By 1998 you might have been flying a "Caledonian Airways" that had only historical links with BA.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC
I also studied at Edinburgh, and enjoyed many of the bars on the Southside and the Grassmarket (and helped run a club called Shag- a perennial student favourite).

Now I'm in 'furryboatcity' (as in the standard greeting here translates as "whereabouts are you from?") where the locals don't even speak Scottish English but this bizarre tongue called Doric...

I'd love flat beds on the ABZ-LHR route: sleeping down to LHR on the trip home after coming off a night hitch offshore would be bliss...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.