Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please help my boys see Concorde

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2004, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Please help my boys see Concorde

My five year old has taken up an interest in everything -est (biggest, fastest, strongest, etc.). Of course, I gave him a model airplane of the Concorde and told him all of the "-est"s associated with Concorde and BA service. He already knows BA has the planes with an upstairs (the only other two airlines he has travelled with, AA and the bane of all airlines, Alitalia, do not) and is facinated with the delta wing plane with the dropped nose.

I know there is (was?) a Concorde parked at LHR. My family of 5 are travelling GVA-LHR-MIA on 20AUG, so we will get two chances (one on the inbound flight from GVA, one on the outbound to MIA) to see it. Could someone please suggest which side of the plane would produce the best odds of seeing Concorde from each flight?

I suppose I should also keep an eye on the strike discussions, as we are scheduled to return 28AUG. We will certainly make sure we get by with hand luggage only!

Thanks for all suggestions...
Old Aug 13, 2004, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
Happy Concorde Hunting!

Concorde G-BOAB is parked right next to the runway but it all depends on which runway is used and the direction of landing so not really easy to say which side is best to sit on!

Why not jump on a flight to Manchester airport or Edinburgh and visit the other 2 concordes in the UK currently on display :-)

If you visit Edinburgh I will happily run you out to the Edinburgh Concorde...

http://www.nms.ac.uk/concorde/asp/main.asp?day=7

The wings gad been cut off but I think they are in th emiddle of re-attaching them!

Rich

Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
My five year old has taken up an interest in everything -est (biggest, fastest, strongest, etc.). Of course, I gave him a model airplane of the Concorde and told him all of the "-est"s associated with Concorde and BA service. He already knows BA has the planes with an upstairs (the only other two airlines he has travelled with, AA and the bane of all airlines, Alitalia, do not) and is facinated with the delta wing plane with the dropped nose.

I know there is (was?) a Concorde parked at LHR. My family of 5 are travelling GVA-LHR-MIA on 20AUG, so we will get two chances (one on the inbound flight from GVA, one on the outbound to MIA) to see it. Could someone please suggest which side of the plane would produce the best odds of seeing Concorde from each flight?

I suppose I should also keep an eye on the strike discussions, as we are scheduled to return 28AUG. We will certainly make sure we get by with hand luggage only!

Thanks for all suggestions...

Last edited by Aerotec; Aug 13, 2004 at 9:37 am
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:00 am

To add a little more on what Aerotec said, G-BOAB is parked inbetween 27R and 27L at Heathrow, but more towards the 27R side.

If the 09 runwayss are in use you won't get much of a chance to see it but if you give me your flight date/times arriving/departing Heathrow I can tell you what 27 will be in use (i.e. L/R) and therefore what side of the plane to sit on.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:44 am
Original Poster

WOW Rich,
What a great offer! I know from GVA there is nonstop service to Manchester, though I didn't know there was a Concorde there. I sometimes have to travel to Glasgow, you can bet the next time, I will schedule through EDI!

Since my family will have 5 seats on my GVA-LHR flight, I suppose I could hedge my bets, and simply take a window seat on each side, but I really want the 5 year old to be in the "right place at the right time". Do you think the Pilot or First Officer would understand what I am asking for, or would I just appear silly?

Thanks again for your thoughts!
Old Aug 13, 2004, 1:36 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Posts like this make FT really worthwhile. Good on you MIAFlyer and I hope you get to make both a small and a big kids dream come true.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 3:09 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AA EXP, UA 1K
I hadn't seen that website before Aerotec - thanks.

They are appealing for Souvenirs to add to the exhibition and I just emailed them to offer them a couple of "freebies" that I kept from my flights - I encourage everyone else to contribute.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 5:22 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Visible from Terminal 1

The BA flight to MIA goes from Terminal 4, where one cannot (any longer) see the Concorde. But if you are ever in Terminal 1, you get a fairly good view of the parked Concorde, all alone by the runways. Go to the area at the end of one of the piers, near gate 56 and 43 I believe. Quite a long walk though.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 9:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
The BA flight to MIA goes from Terminal 4, where one cannot (any longer) see the Concorde. .
BA to MIA goes from Terminal 3.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 9:41 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Concorde G-BOAC is about 30 meters from the Public Viewing area at Manchester.

http://www.classic-aircraft.oldclass...manchester.htm
Old Aug 14, 2004, 1:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
It may be worth composing a pre-written note (+staple your business card to it) to the Captain which you could hand to the cabin crew when you board in GVA. Obviously don't look threatening when you do!

It may just be enough for the Captain to do a "For those of you on the right hand side of the aircraft......" type annoucement.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
It may be worth composing a pre-written note (+staple your business card to it) to the Captain which you could hand to the cabin crew when you board in GVA. Obviously don't look threatening when you do!

It may just be enough for the Captain to do a "For those of you on the right hand side of the aircraft......" type annoucement.
Even less threatening would be to ask the cabin crew during or after the service to ask the Captain to make this announcement.
Old Aug 15, 2004, 8:56 am

If time allows, you could also walk from Terminal 1 through the service tunnel to see the 'Concorde' at the entrance to the airport (but beware, it's not a short walk, and it's quite awkward! Best to tell a cop what you want to do and why, and ask the best route).

It's not a real aircraft, but it's pretty darn impressive and would give your son a lot of detail to add to his view of the real thing out on the runway!
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
A little more info and a few pics of G-CONC

and another picture even if it is a bit small

Last edited by fbgdavidson; Aug 15, 2004 at 10:15 am
Old Aug 15, 2004, 10:11 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by KentownFlorida
Concorde G-BOAC is about 30 meters from the Public Viewing area at Manchester.

http://www.classic-aircraft.oldclass...manchester.htm
Concorde is actually IN the viewing area at Manchester. You can walk up to and around it, and on certain weekends there are tours to go on board, cost £10/person.

If you are flying into MAN then you should get an non-'A' window seat to give you most chance of seeing it close-up when you leave the runway. Sorry I'm not well up on the runway numbers !.

Last edited by MAN Flyer; Aug 15, 2004 at 12:38 pm Reason: Duff info !
Old Aug 15, 2004, 11:27 am

Programs: BA
MIAflyer

I asume you're not that familiar with Heathrow, so a bit of explanation. Heathrow runway plan is similar to Miami, with two parallel east-west runways. The main terminals are between the two. There used to be a diagonal runway like Miami as well, but running from the top right corner to the middle of the bottom runway. This is now closed and used as a taxiway, and Concorde is tied down on it, towards the top corner. I'll call the runways "top" and "bottom", although if you know aviation 27L and 27R may be more meaningful.

70 percent of the time aircraft land towards the west, and at the day/time of your flights you will be landing on the bottom runway and taking off on the top one (the usage is rotated to a regular schedule if landing westerly). If the wind is the other way round you will be landing easterly, but this way round always landing on the top runway and always departing on the bottom one.

If you want to know the runway direction on the day call (+44) 20 7646 0224 before checking in at Geneva, which is an automated continuous recording for the nearby London City airport. When they say "runway in use", if it's 28 they're heading westerly (most common), if they say it's 10 they're heading easterly.

If on westerlies, sit on the right of both planes, although you will only get a very distant fleeting view of her after the hangars and before the terminal complex. On your departing flight from Terminal 3 sit on the right. You will taxi along the north side of the terminals and you get your best view as the aircraft are jockeying for position to turn round and take off.

If on easterlies sit on the left of both planes, and after clearing the runway when the plane starts turning round the end of the terminals you will get a view during the long taxi. On your Miami flight you don't get any view during taxiing, but just as the 747 lifts off look left and you can get a very good aerial view of her . All depends on how much runway the 747 uses ! (hope for a light load and a cool day).

Watch for misunderstandings about where the Miami flight leaves from. It is the only BA flight to go from Terminal 3. And Geneva arrives at Terminal 4, which has changed in recent months. You will be put on the airside transfer bus between the two. I hope your kid enjoys the brief view of it - there are several around the UK in museums for a longer look, as described above and elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.