Search

LHR Terminal shuffles....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2003, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LHR Terminal shuffles....

Flight Switches at London Heathrow Airport
From 26 October 2003 British Airways is embarking upon a programme of flight switches between London Heathrow terminals 4 and 1.

Why we are switching flights between Terminals 4 and 1?
The flight switches will make it more convenient for many transfer passengers connecting between longhaul and shorthaul flights, who will no longer need to change terminals at Heathrow.

To support these additional longhaul services, a major programme of infrastructure improvements is taking place at Terminal 1 including new lounges and check-in facilities.

Which flights are being swapped and when ?
The programme of Heathrow flight switches - a dozen longhaul and 35 shorthaul flights - are to be phased over two flying seasons to minimise any disruption.

The first phase will see the two daily Narita and two daily Johannesburg services transferred from Terminal 4 to Terminal 1 from the start of the Winter 2003 season (26 October 2003).

Flights that are affected
Narita flights - BA5/BA6 and BA7/BA8
Johannesburg flights - BA55/BA56 and BA57/BA54

Future flight changes in Summer 2004 (from March 26)
The remaining flight switches will then be made at the beginning of the following Summer 2004 season (26 March 2004). Details of these flights have yet to be finalised and will be announced later this year.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Where and how are they going to find the space to check in 747s in T1 ???

The place is already an impossible zoo, whatever class of travel and whether Silver, Gold or diamond studded.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frequentflyer99:
Where and how are they going to find the space to check in 747s in T1 ???

The place is already an impossible zoo, whatever class of travel and whether Silver, Gold or diamond studded.
</font>
IIRC there is going to be a shiny new premium check in area - I guess that will relieve some of the pressure. I think that is space over and above the current check in area footprint.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:04 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I've seen BA Y T1 Check-in queues strech right the way around the terminal. This, as far as I can tell, is standard operating practise during holidays at BA T1.

I would think tear gas would be the best solution - not adding twelve 747's worth of passengers.

Still: we in T2 are really jealous of FastTrack.

Regards,
Alex
Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
To support these additional longhaul services, a major programme of infrastructure improvements is taking place at Terminal 1 including new lounges and check-in facilities.</font>
Unfortunately, they do not say that these improvements will be completed by the 26th of October. I think those of us with F tickets to NRT or JNB in November are really going to miss T4.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 8:01 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ready2Go:
Unfortunately, they do not say that these improvements will be completed by the 26th of October. I think those of us with F tickets to NRT or JNB in November are really going to miss T4. </font>
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

What the hell gives? Is there a molton-brown spa in T1? Are there even lounges in T1?!

Old Sep 18, 2003, 1:45 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ender83:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

What the hell gives? Is there a molton-brown spa in T1? Are there even lounges in T1?!

</font>

Yes and yes.

There has been a big rebuilding programme going on in T1. BA will have Executive Club, Club World and First Class lounges. There will also be an MB Spa.

------------------
Gaza's oneworld & Star Alliance Round the World Information Pages - www.rtw-info.co.uk
Old Sep 18, 2003, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
My concern here would simply be lack of space, especially in the security area. T1 International is already busy enough in the evenings, with a couple of SAA 747's off to JNB and CPT, and widebody flights from ElAl, Cyprus Airways, not to mention BA's own evening bank of short haul departures. I have been queued out practically to the kerbside before now, and can't imagine that things are likely to improve hugely in the short term.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 3:41 am

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:

BA will have Executive Club, Club World and First Class lounges. There will also be an MB Spa.

</font>
Any ideas on when the F lounge @ T1 will be open?

Old Sep 18, 2003, 3:42 am
dnw

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by House:
I have been queued out practically to the kerbside before now, and can't imagine that things are likely to improve hugely in the short term. </font>
But one good thing about T1 security is that Fast Track actually seems to WORK... I went through twice in July with queues snaked around the entire terminal but with Club checkin and Fastrack I was through quicker than in T4...
Old Sep 18, 2003, 4:53 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
What needs to happen at LHR - and it will probably happen once T5 opens - is that terminals will become branded based on alliances, and any flights that are not part of an alliance will go to the "also ran" terminal.

So, we will see all "Evil Empire" (aka Star Alliance) flights leaving from one terminal, allowing easy interconnection. We will also see see all "forces of goodness and righteousness" (aka oneworld) flights leave from one or two distinct terminals, thus also allowing easy interconnections.

Everyone else will leave from what is left.

AFAIAC, this would seem to be a sensible way to operate LHR.

Dave
Old Sep 18, 2003, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by virtualtroy:
Any ideas on when the F lounge @ T1 will be open?</font>
I have no inside information myself, but on other threads people have indicated that it will not be open until sometime in 2004.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 5:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
They must be out of their tiny minds. Judging from the incredible amount of shopping that gets carted aboard the NRTs from the T4 shops, the BAA will suffer unless they have much the same stuff. It is poky, stuffy , and really showing its age.

I am getting so tired of this chase the Terminal nonsense, and I am sure that planes are going to be missed and more bad feeling created. What has brought all this on?
Old Sep 19, 2003, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PUCCI GALORE:
I am getting so tired of this chase the Terminal nonsense</font>
I think we are all tired of this chase the Terminal nonsense. Bring on T5. It can't come soon enough.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 1:08 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ready2Go:
I have no inside information myself, but on other threads people have indicated that it will not be open until sometime in 2004. </font>
So T1's rubbish CE lounge til then eh...? Nothing like it to complete the BA experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.